CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

GPR Steering Damper 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPR Steering Damper 1.0

Does anyone have the manufacture's specs for this damper. Just purchased a used one and the previous owner has all the parts, but not the Owner's manual. If anyone knows the torque requirement that would be helpful too!!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM

google it. thats how i found directions for my scotts i got off of eBay.
http://gprstabilizer.com/prod_v1
all the info I could find.
It cant be too different from scotts steering damper mounting
http://scottsonline.com/litrack.php?LRC=1
Good luck

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GPR V1/V4 Installation

Here is the instructions directly from GPR that I received when I purchased my V4.

1. Remove the stock steering stem nut and washer from your triple clamp/bike and set them aside. Some bikes requie a GPR SSN. The 954 should have a SSN from GPR.

2. With the stock SSN and washer removed, place GPR base plate over the steering stem on the top triple clamp. Install the stock/supplied SSN (if required) only (NO washer, the base plate serves as your washer. Failure to follow this will damage the damper) and toque down to manufactures specs listed in your owners manual. 76ftlbs or 103nm for 954 Select bike model base plates have set screw that help to keep the base plate centered and prevent side to side rotational movement. The 954 should have these set screws. It is critical that you NOT over tighten these set screws and equally inportant that you use permanent loctite to keep the set screws from vibrating loose. They are "SET" screws; they just sit there and aren't designed to be torque. Loctite is also critical , as repetitious aggressive high speed riding and high speed front end vibration may cause the base plate to rotate and become loose if set screws are both over tightened and/or non loctite.

3. With the base plate in place and torqued (76ftlbs or 103nm) down properly, remove the front gas tank bolts. Set them aside with the other stock hardware out of the way. Place the GPR post mount to the frame and determine the correct position for installation. Using the supplied (longer) bolts, loosely bolt down the post mount to check fitment. If all looks good, then proceed to torque down the bolts per owners/shop instructions. (loctite is NOT to be used. Anti-seize or a dab of grease may be used). Service manual does not give torque setting for these bolts. Just says tighten so use your own judgement.

4. Once the base plate and post mount are installed properly, you may now install the damper unit to the base plate. Simply place the damper on top of the base plate. Using the supplied bolts, finger tighten the bolts down. Take care to seat the arm properly in the post mount. With the damper mounting bolts loose/finger tight, tap on the top of the arm to make sure the arm is not bowed/bent in the post mount. The arm will not hit the bottom of the slot on the post as it may not fully sit in the post as well. As long as there is 1/2in. or so in the post, you will be fine as this is normal. Tighten down the 2 damper mounting bolts. (No torque value given from GPR) With the damper in its middle settings, slowly move your bars left to right to ensure the arm is seated properly. Then you may tighten the pinch bolt the the post mount/arm. (Again no torque given from GPR) Now with the damper setting on #1, rotate your bars lock to lock checking for smooth function, making sure there is no binding. If there is pin point the problem (either the arm/post junction etc...) and address it. If unsure, call GPR at 619-661-0101.

Last edited by backdoc; 06-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 PM

call me 718 614 1763..im interested