CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

got a question about track tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a question about track tires

is it true that you should not put track take offs on a everyday rider on the street??? is it dangerious????????
they are mpp race i think he says they have about 60 laps but i would think more like 80 ive heard that after you use them they actuall become slippery in the corners 180 for the set from and rear

Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Ive used track take offs and see no difference. Majority of their tire is on the side unlike us and it being on the center. Its pretty cheap for them and if there used on the track then u know they are bubble gum sticky....

Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Default ?

ok i had these tires on here and it really could have been becuase it was getting bald but i leaned hard into a curve and back end kicked out from under me and got fooked up lol thats why i asking i do love the fact that when i get them there are allready ready to lean over man its crazy how you sit on the bike and its wants to fall over

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM

the problem with race takeoffs is they take a while to warm up, resulting in accidents by people who think their newly acquired "race" tires are like superglue and they can hit twisties after traveling 5 minutes through town to get to a nice road, when in reality it takes at least a lap or two around a TRACK just to warm the things up(or a fat burnout). they could be safe to use on the street if used properly, but wouldn't be the smartest choice for a tire for most people in my opinion.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race rubber is "soft" but it's not soft the way you think. When it is cold it isn't tacky at all, but when they get hot they get like glue. Problem is that on the street you can't get them warm.

If you think about it - if you could get race tires warm enough on the street to be useful, they'd be useless on the track -- they'd melt and get slippery.

The next problem with race tires is that they go through heat cycles - after awhile they're done. They might have rubber left, but they have lost their grip. I can run laps on a tire and at the end of the day be spinning the rear all over the place -- and on occasion sliding the front under braking. People ask to buy my take-offs for the street, and usually I say no. Anything that I'm done with had the life taken out of it.

I use my own take-offs commuting on the F4 now and run normal rubber for touring.

You can get them very cheaply... your biggest cost will be mounting. You can easily change your own tires (by stands, get spoons, and rig up some form of bead breaker) and save a lot of money. It's nice to have 2 sets of rims, one for take-off rubber and one for your really nice street rubber. If all you do is ride around home, then you can run take-offs exclusively.

One major note: Track rubber is designed for dry use only it sucks in the rain -- we have rain tires for that.

Last edited by woot; 04-25-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Default ?????

i run mpp as a regular tire i did run some take offs for a while intill i got into my wreck because i thought it was the tire that caused it and i ride hard and lean hard in any turns shoudl i not run these tires and im in florida where its hott all year
/

Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 AM

tires never cause a crash.

I ride hard and lean hard too and generally I stay the right way up

All I am saying is that street riding won't get track tires up to proper temperature. You might be able to get closer in Florida, but they still won't be as hot as they are on the track.c

Is that bad? No it's not "bad" -- you just have to remember they won't stick as well as they could. Track take-offs are cheap cheap cheap for a reason. They won't last much longer, and they're not the best you can have on the street. Honestly track take-offs are good for the hero factor and being cheap to buy; that is about all.

I like them for commuting because they are cheap. I ride them on the local twisties because any speed that I ride they are perfectly safe for.

I do NOT tour on them (long distance) nor do I ride in the rain.

You have to decide what want from a tire, and if you can learn to listen to your tires. They'll tell you what they're doing.

One more comment - the cheapest tire you can buy should still be able to hold the line that you ride on the street. I've seen people get within seconds of race pace on touring tires. Most of the talk about tire quality on the street is bravado and hype. For 99% of the folks out on the street buying a quality touring tire instead of a sport tire would be a much better option.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Excellent advice from woot.

Also, a soft compound like I use will shred even faster when cold ("cold tear").

And no matter what you're using, the tire pressue must be set correctly. Incorrect pressure probably causes countless "my tires are no good and made me crash" statements.

You said they were mpp, you mean Michelin Power Race or Power One, and there are "street" and "race" versions. Race versions are only available from a racing distributor. $180 for a take off set is pretty high around here, $25 - $50 each or so, maybe $75 if only a few laps.

Last edited by randyjoy; 04-26-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Default ?

thanks the info im not new to riding been riding bout ten years as my daily driver so i consider myself to be clost to expert i have never been on the track have not had the loot i did pay 150 for the set of mpp race i do also run mpp2ct on the street i juust like the feel of how the damn tires is after one of you track nuts leans it there are no real hard curves in my area so no way to break the tire in i know the tire did cause the wreck but its my fault because it had spun on my early the previous day and i did not take it off there was no debrie in the road and it just kicked out from under me also what size spools are susposed to be on the back of the 954 i have my old stand and need to put spools o nthnaks for your time

rich

Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Yes - I run SC1 front and SC2 rear - and without warmers they do tend to rip apart. Warmers were the best investment I made recently.

Quick Reply: got a question about track tires