CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Got a question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a question.

Took my bike to get state inspection the other day. They called me today and told me when they went to fire the engine. It wouldn't run keep back fireing and of course they drained the battery trying to get it running. They seem to think its just fowled plugs could someone confirm this for me please. I'm a little nervous i just bought this bike and only took it for a 10 mile test ride and if there is something wrong with it i'm going to be pissed. I had this same thing happen to me a couple years ago. Bought a buell when i looked at it it was clean took it for a test ride everything was great got it home a week later that thing had more oil leaks than theExxon Valdez. So now i'm alittle gun shy about buying used bikes. Oh yeah my 954rr is a 2002 with 7000 miles on it. That might help you answear my question for me.

Thanks, Clint

Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got a question.

sounds to me fouled plugs.. but hard to say over internet and knowing a little more.. lift the tank.. pull them out.. go to advanced or a autozone get the stock NGK's.. throw them in and start and ride it for a bit.. you will be fine

Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Thank you for replying. I hope that is whats wrong. I don't want to have to throw it off a cliff and go by a wildfire scooter.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

ha before u start throwing things.. ship it over here i will pay for the shipping

Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

thats prolly all it is, so i agree. Heck i will even outbid bob, i will pay for shippin and buy ya a scooter

Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Well I'm no mechanic but I've always understood backfiring to be a timing issue. Retarded timing, in fact.

The only real problem is that we're hearing a third cersion of the story - not that you don't know what you're taling about, but it's already difficult to help someone troubleshoot when they've experienced the issue. You're hearing only what the mechanic told you.

Hopefully it is plug andyou can get her going soon. Even if it is timing, we're not talking a huge problem. Simple adjustment, actually, it may be simpler than changing plugs!

Let us know what you find out, wouldya?

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

how long does it take to get a state inspection?

i only ask this because you said you took it the other day and they called you today saying blah blah blah........

the last tim i took my bike in to get an inspection (which was about 2 years ago)(ive been riding dirty) it only took about 30 to 45 min and i waited on the bike and looked around.

i take my car to get it inspected and if i dont have to wait in line it take 10 min or less.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Kid just for the learning experience, the reason fouled plugs will backfire sometimes is excessive gas buildup in the chamber from not firing, a lot of times the plug will barely arc but it wont truly ignite the fuel but it will build pressure up late. So then as soon as the intake starts to open it will release that pressure as the piston comes up. Or if they are really bad, vapor lock can start in and still pop back thru the intake valve also.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 PM

^ Good explanation, also Nibb why you rolling without a sticker? Not worth the ticket, I was busted last year. $100 fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Well if its for my truck or the wifes jeep it takes all of 5 minutes to get a sticker but my buddy owns the garage. But i have no hookups for motorcycles inspection. And the the motorcycle inspection stations around here are buttheads the local place last year failed my buell due to having the solo seat on with the rear pegs on they said put the twin tail back on or take the pegs off. So for the honda i took it to the actual honda dealer. And they did try and get a hold of me the next day. But they called at the end of the day i was working with the engineers on my new building and my secretary didn't give me the message until the next morning.

Quick Reply: Got a question.