CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   cooling fan (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/cooling-fan-131820/)

stealthCBR929 10-23-2011 09:01 PM

cooling fan

hi does a 954 need to have the instrument cluster in order for the fan to come on? im building my brothers 954 and he doesnt have a cluster yet . i rode his bike got it hot and the fan is not comming on period . checked fuses and all the basics. i understand on the 954 the ecu comands the fan on?

moosestang 10-25-2011 12:46 PM

I don't think it does. Try running a wire to the battery to see if the fan even works. Next thing to check would be the engine temp sensor.

The fan doesn't kick on till 210-215. Did you get it that hot?

RoadiJeff 10-25-2011 08:26 PM

The part of the wiring harness that the instrument cluster plugs into might be carrying the ground needed for the fan to operate. A wiring diagram would help.

G_954rr 11-03-2011 09:09 PM

Dont ride a bike without the cluster or you will be cluster F!@#ed. Run a fused line to the fan with switch, or go to auto parts store and buy an adjustable fan temperature switch, sold next to replacement fans.:icon_wheel:

stealthCBR929 11-05-2011 12:30 AM

thanks guys for the advice! i told my brother to get a cluster period before riding . theres lots to sort out on the bike . its like when i rode it in a turn it feels like your fall going threw the apex of the turn . so i go ride my 929 and its night and day diference bike handles like a roller coaster on a track his feels scary in turns . bike stays in a stright line if ya let go of the bars while riding. but turning is bad

G_954rr 11-06-2011 01:08 AM

Nothings perfect, including this bike. The 954 cooling system is not that great, and there was a recall for the steering bearing; this bike, in my opinion, yes, I know, like buttholes, everyone has one, needs a steering dampner. My 954 is my only tranportation since my Ford went out PPPPOOOOSSSSS!!!! Henry Ford would roll in his grave; they keep me fixing cars, but please, give me something worth fixing. Anywayz.... I love this bike and has never failed me, and it is far better than the 929. Anyone with 929 say different, i take as challenge and will smash you in quarter mile.

moosestang 11-06-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929 (Post 1111469)
thanks guys for the advice! i told my brother to get a cluster period before riding . theres lots to sort out on the bike . its like when i rode it in a turn it feels like your fall going threw the apex of the turn . so i go ride my 929 and its night and day diference bike handles like a roller coaster on a track his feels scary in turns . bike stays in a stright line if ya let go of the bars while riding. but turning is bad

Isn't your buddies bike a wrecked bike? No telling what's wrong with it. Are the tires new? The 929 and 954 are not worlds apart in engine or suspension/chassis.

stealthCBR929 11-06-2011 10:21 AM

sup moostang you work on fords ? im a quick service tech at ford in so cal . so far as smashing me in the 1/4 mile iv raced 954 and there really not that much faster lol stock any ways . theses bikes arent drag bikes period ! how ever im building a gsxr 1117 drag bike its gnarly. yeah my brothers bike has been laid down on the track i guess . yes the front tire is worn it stays in a stright line when ya let go of the bars when riding turning is gnarly thoe . im not saying 954s a bad bikes i love these bikes . i just did lots of reading up on 954s reviews said the have problems over heating and they are better for the track more so then every day riding and or long rides . i know one thing spending over 13k on a newer cbr 1000 is nuts period lol.

moosestang 11-06-2011 12:53 PM

I work on my own ford. 2006 mustang gt with Whipple HO supercharger kit added at 12k miles. Installed it in my driveway. Nice of Ford to add a trap door for the fuel pumps. It's my daily driver. Pretty easy car to work on. Changed the clutch at 20k to something more appropriate. You should have your brother change the tires and check the head bearing. A notched head bearing will feel like the bike starts to fall when turning. Jack up the front and turn the bars, should be smooth, not notchy.

http://www.pbase.com/paulyoly/image/92950251.jpg

I've not had any overheating problems with the cbr, but I don't ride it in traffic.

stealthCBR929 11-06-2011 09:48 PM

nice stang there moose . yeah fuel pumps are super easy on those cars . you should drive one of the new 5.0 it picks up ! 415 stock horse the new v6 stangs are 300 horse as well. i want to get an old fox body lx and make it a sleeper. i just got rid of my 70 nova drag car 550 horse stroker im sooo burnt out on cars since i work on them all day ! i love bikes because there oppsite and less money to race and or just have fun period ! how much boost ya running ? if you did not build the bottom end be carefull .