CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cbr954rr top end whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and I've been using this for all moving parts as noted by the manual upon each assembly, I've gone through like 2 of these bottles now....I use it very liberally as advised to do by literally everyone haha

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That all seems solid - maybe it was a bad filter from walmart. Stranger things have happened

At any rate it sounds like you've got most of the bases covered. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo2122
I believe I bought a $15-$20 Fram or Bosch filter..... (mistake #1 haha).
Been using Bosch filters on my cars and my CBR for years. Good stuff. Fram, not so much.

Been following with interest. Automotive engine builder here, but don't have much input for something like this. Crossing my fingers and sending good vibes your way.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 AM

Okay guys, I finally got my parts in and found some time to tear the bike apart and put it back together. So while I had the cams and valve buckets out, I decided to go ahead and reshim it as well to get all the valve clearances perfect and in spec, then I put it all back together using my replacement buckets. I put fresh oil in it as well.

Annnnnd after reassembly and upon starting it up, its still whining...

BUT, its like about half (or maybe a third) as loud as it used to be! The whine is at least bearable now...lol but it makes me wonder whats causing this current whine. I used my mechanics stethoscope to try and pinpoint its origin and its definitely the right side of the engine still, but it doesn't really seem to be coming from top end anymore. I wondering if something else in the engine got a lil parched for oil as well perhaps? maybe, maybe not, but I'm going to check the cam chain tensioner tomorrow and see if the sound changes at all when i relieve a little bit of tension from it while its idling, i've done this check before, but now that i've changed some stuff I might as well check again.

I'll also probably take it for a short ride and see if it gets any better as well (weather permitting). I've only had it idle for about 5 minutes so far and that it, since its like 1am and I don't wanna wake my neighbors... haha

But yea any input or ideas are welcome! I just really want this problem over with....

Old 01-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi matey , is it a manual or automatic CCT?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 AM

Its an automatic CCT, and i know i shouldn't have to worry about it, but just for the sake of being sure i check it after each time i do stuff to be sure its not the cam chain making the whining sound.

The current whine, while not as loud as the last, still follows the rpms and get higher in pitch with the rpms just as before.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hi , like yourself I've been racking my mind to try and figure out what this is, at the fear of ruining another set of buckets, I think the only thing you can do is take it for that run and check the buckets again, could be a coincidence with the noise if the buckets are alright, but whats the noise, maybe go back to that original white smoke and try to figure out the cause of that and its symptoms , think the heat of the engine on that day could be significant

Old 01-21-2018, 02:12 AM

Well it didn't whine at all until after the initial rebuild, it ran fine and sounded normal the day after it got really hot, in fact it took me till that next day to notice that it was even smoking when my buddy saw that it was when he was following me. I also was noticing that it was getting really hot really fast. It only smoked when I got on the throttle a bit. And when I took the radiator cap off and gave it throttle I'd get a lil volcano effect due to the combustion gases leaking past the head gasket.

All signs of either a bad head gasket, warped head, or both. My head was fine, so it was just the gasket.

If the buckets are not responsible for the current whine (and its not the CCT either and the oil pressure is correct) then the only other thing I could think of is that something else may have also got a little oil deprived up until this point and is possibly scored up as well like the buckets were. Ill check some of this out tomorrow and this week and see what I find to hopefully narrow it down.

Let me know if you get any other ideas about this mystery haha

Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering if a review of the valve clearance procedure is in order...

Old 01-21-2018, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at this , especially about buckets not rotating and angle of camshaft, that follower top on the left bears a resemblance to your bucket, did yours have the oil applied to the seat of the bucket as well
http://users.accesscomm.ca/rickshaw/...%20failure.pdf
Maybe measure the follower diameter and the follower bore diameter just to make sure their in spec

Last edited by CaBaRet; 01-21-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Quick Reply: cbr954rr top end whine