CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   CBR954 Test Ride (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/cbr954-test-ride-97702/)

Weegee 07-22-2009 10:03 PM

CBR954 Test Ride

Hey guys,

I'm not new around here i have been hanging around the F3 page for a while but the other day my beautiful 98 F3 got backed into and knock down and now it is going to be writen off by insurance.
I was thinking of upgrading anyway and i love the look of the 954 (sick of reving the ring out of the 600 to get it really going), I have found one i am keen on and i just want to know is there anything i should look for/ hear/feel when i am on the test ride???? I don't want to buy a lemon if there was something obvious i should have done during a ride etc.

Webby64 10-29-2018 10:31 PM

webby64

Originally Posted by Weegee (Post 814136)
Hey guys,

I'm not new around here i have been hanging around the F3 page for a while but the other day my beautiful 98 F3 got backed into and knock down and now it is going to be writen off by insurance.
I was thinking of upgrading anyway and i love the look of the 954 (sick of reving the ring out of the 600 to get it really going), I have found one i am keen on and i just want to know is there anything i should look for/ hear/feel when i am on the test ride???? I don't want to buy a lemon if there was something obvious i should have done during a ride etc.

I recently picked up one very cheep as it had sat for many years & would turn over but not start, It took me some time but not knowing the prob at 1st, so i ordered a manual ($30), once i found she had spark, I pulled the whole fuel system out & replaced a new fuel pump, hose's & clamps, & then cleaned the injectors, fuel filter, & regulator, & put it back together & she started up 1st "go", so in the end this OD 32K, 954rr cost me less than $3000 to buy, service & repair, RWC & reg 6 months. Also note these bikes are totally free of these rider aids - No track control, no ABS, & so on, where punters like myself only with a manual can mostly fix them. Parts are very affordable, for example a rear drive sprocket on line was $27, both throttle cables were $14, the regulator $20, a fuel pump $12, full set of front & rear break pads ($30) & the fuel injector Orings were about 2 cents for the 4 of them. The rider wake up it gives?, is she can tank slap at diff road conditions, mind you it's always been when i've kicked in the spurs. So the best buy 954rr? these after market items should be a must on it: at least a Dyno jet 3 hooked & set, a quality steering damper ( for it's tank slap), a better rear shock than the factory ( as the front are very good ), & you got to get the manual ( on line about, $30 delivered). This 15 plus year old 954rr is still one weapon, & with out rider aids is a hand full if you are not used to it, they all get hot if you have it in traffic which is normal, but apart from that the 954rr is still a great bike, but my biggest "What the FU#K", was people coming up to me & asking about it? saying they were impressed with it, & I've also got a 2015 R1 which is in just as shinny new looking condition as the 954rr, but no one comes up to me asking about the better, if not by much R1?. So I'm not sure why people are lured to the 954rr as the only diff from the standard ones is the ohlins rear shock, Ohlins steering damper, & no one can see it's got a dyno jet3 set up, The only cosmetic changes i've made is to fit tiny LED indicators & LED relay unit, & changed to bar end mirrors. So with having a modern R1 ,& the 3ed production EFI F/Blade? Cost wise?- there is only one winner, & that's the 954rr, as it's easy to work on, the parts are still available & very cheep, & it still turn heads. I first bought my 954rr on a punt because it was so cheep, & not having a clue about them, where now I'm glad i bought this one having done all the service & repair work on this RR-3, getting it going again, & getting it performing like a RR can. I have had countless bikes & have always sold them on, but this last of the Honda's T. Baba's productions, & is some thing special, as this is the only blade T.baba keeps in his garage too, & he was in charge of the very 1st blade all the way to the 954RR-3. If you are lucky enough to get a RR-3 that is sound, has been oil changed close to on time, & is still straight? get it , get it . get it!! as they usually only need a small amount of time & money to get them back to the weapon they were built to be. Chris.W