CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   CBR 954 Engine Seized (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/cbr-954-engine-seized-150248/)

sodahyogesh 12-07-2013 03:21 AM

CBR 954 Engine Seized

Hey guys need some help! A friend of mine is looking for new pistons and rings for his Seized engine CBR 954.
Where to get it from and what would be the price with shipping to India.
Do you guys suggest used pistons from ebay with new rings?
Which bikes share the same piston configuration with the 954? i read some where 919 929 and 954 share same pistons?

Please help

9sec929 12-07-2013 04:57 AM

that would be a negative on the same pistons. the 929 and 954 are pretty much the same engine but the piston is slightly bigger in the 954 (1mm if im not mistaken) best bet would be to spend the money on a new piston kit and rehone the cylinders (if they can be) that way everything "breaks in" together. you might have to bore it if the damage is to great. I believe you can find new kits on ebay(954 and the 980 big bore). another thing is if the engine siezed there is a chance you got metal shavings in it make sure you get all that out or you are sure to do a lot more damage than just pistons. hope this helps

Conrice 12-07-2013 07:19 AM

Post pics of the damage and I'll be able to see what you really need. But you'll most likely need a bottom end rebuild kit and you'll have to get the cylinders bored/honed, and probably plated.

It's going to be cheaper/easier to buy another motor off ebay and sell that one for cheap to someone who wants to rebuild it. Where are you located?

sodahyogesh 12-07-2013 09:09 AM

Question of new engine is totally out of reach as the bike is in India and importing used engine is not permitted by law. Have to rebuild it to bring it back to life. Have asked for pictures and once i have it i will post it over here. From what he has told me he is going to sleeve the cylinders and just need the pistons and rings.
Piston kit on ebay is close to 600 USD , Gasket kit is already ordered.

Conrice 12-07-2013 10:01 AM

Yeah - if you don't have someone who can do plating near you - a steel sleeve is probably you're only answer.

Just my opinion - I would NOT use used pistons off ebay. I would go ahead and put in bigger slugs with a higher compression ratio so I'd get some benefit. There's no point spending the same amount of money for less performance...

mika_u 12-09-2013 12:37 AM

Is the motor teared apart yet? What caused the seizing? There has been 954 that spun a rod bearing. Then you would need to get the crank welded or new/used one and a rod.

sodahyogesh 12-15-2013 11:15 AM

Update

3 Attachment(s)
here are the pics guys. Ordered new pistons and rings. also the main bearings of the crank needs to be replaced.

Conrice 12-15-2013 03:46 PM

Those cylinder walls don't look as bad as some of the other ones I've seen, but there is still a ton of scoring. How deep is it? Take some pics of the main bearings/crank/rods when you take 'er apart.

Who is doing your sleeves?