CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Bye-Bye HID's, Stock Halogens are Safer

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye-Bye HID's, Stock Halogens are Safer

So after installing my HID's and having my bike look clean with the lighting kit, I had a few problems with battery drainage, and something smoking by the r/r, anyways, I put my stock halogens in, and all seems better now, I'm still needing to take it in to make sure no wire is fried, but runs good.

My question is, has anyone had issues with their HID kits causing any issues, or are there any special batteries we can buy to handle the extra power from these kits?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dm325is
So after installing my HID's and having my bike look clean with the lighting kit, I had a few problems with battery drainage, and something smoking by the r/r, anyways, I put my stock halogens in, and all seems better now, I'm still needing to take it in to make sure no wire is fried, but runs good.

My question is, has anyone had issues with their HID kits causing any issues, or are there any special batteries we can buy to handle the extra power from these kits?
My 954 had them when I bought it and I took them out right away, they were wired in poor taste and the light spread was horrible.

I hate the aftermarket HID kits that everyone puts in, the light output from stock halogens are better because thats what the stock housings are meant for... nobody ever wants to spend the money to do it the right way and retrofit the housing with real HID projectors to keep the light where it should be... on the road!! not in other peoples eyes and the tree tops. I have one friend who does real retrofits and the light cutoff is perfect and they function just like stock.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Registered Users

Yeah, I hear ya, I know how that goes on cars, but on bikes, everyone seemed cool with not retrofitting. My wiring wasn't bad but I just didn't understand why today when I gave my bike throttle, the light would shut off and come back on when I let off...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 AM

I've run hid's in every bike I've owned without problems. As long as you run the correct wattage setup for your bike and make sure it's from a reputable company you won't have problems. Yes, retrofitting a real hid housing is the correct way to do it, but not very cost effective. And by no means was my halogen bulb better than my hid in the stock headlight housing. I can see significantly farther ahead and to the side with the hid in place than I could with the old halogen.

Last edited by ajzcamaro; 04-25-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

^^agreed

No problems with my HIDS -- DDM Tuning 55w 8k, only had them for about a month tho.

Yes, there is some scatter (theres scatter with halogens, too)

But I have not been flashed at night, yet...

The headlight on a bike is down so low, so when you aim it correctly, you dont blind people. In contrast look at a big truck like a ford super duty, the headlights are so high up it blinds people even with halogens.

The blue/white 55w HID looks sooo much better (and bada$$) coming down the road, then a yellow halogen bulb (imo)

Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only bad things about projectors on a bike is the sharp cut-off line works against you in the corners. As you lean into the turn the cut-off line does as well and makes it very hard to do a sharp fast turn at night.

Watch the 35sec mark of this video when he takes the left corner and the dark blind spot the cut-off line creates.

HID CBRF4I RETROFIT - YouTube[/VIDEO]

Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
The only bad things about projectors on a bike is the sharp cut-off line works against you in the corners. As you lean into the turn the cut-off line does as well and makes it very hard to do a sharp fast turn at night.

Watch the 35sec mark of this video when he takes the left corner and the dark blind spot the cut-off line creates.

HID CBRF4I RETROFIT - YouTube[/VIDEO]
It can work both ways though by causing problems for people coming around the corner from the opposite way... I had another rider come around a blind corner last season and blind me where I could not see the road....just depends how you look at it.

If you do the retrofit and set the bi-xeons the right way your high beams will take care of the country road corners.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YourEnemy
It can work both ways though by causing problems for people coming around the corner from the opposite way... I had another rider come around a blind corner last season and blind me where I could not see the road....just depends how you look at it.

If you do the retrofit and set the bi-xeons the right way your high beams will take care of the country road corners.
Yeah nothing can be perfect, There will be pro's and con's to everything.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Zero problems with my ddm tuning kit and it's plug and play, nothing to wire. I have HID's for the low beam only on my buell and Honda. I run the 3k hids because there is less glare.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Very nice looking bikes moosestang!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bye-Bye HID's, Stock Halogens are Safer