CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Beginner on a 954RR....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner on a 954RR....

I can really concour on the 'don't get a good bike' for your first one. I was smart, in that I bought a 600cc 'beater'. Which I did drop because I was stupidly trying to ride it in traffic but glancing off to the side like I was in a car. Next thing I know, traffic was stopped and I had no space to stop. Dropped the bike rather than go through the rear window of a Civic. Really should have gotten the phone number of the driver, she was *cute*. Oh, and I had graduated from the MSF class even before buying the first bike. Guess the education didn't take, at first.

And my best friend during this same riding season bought a brand new .6L Gixer of his own, and managed in the first month to knock it off its side stand into gravel. Scratched half the plastics on that one. No injuries to himself, and some might argue doesn't qualify as a true 'lay down' since it was not running at the time, but the damage to the bike was the equivalent of laying it down.

So absolutely, with a first time rider, dropping the bike isn't a matter of if, its when. Don't get a first bike that will cause mental or check book rash if it needs some serious cosmetic work during its potentially brief time as your property. Yes, get something you'll enjoy, in the 600cc range for sure, and be certain its used.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:38 AM

@all this thread made be realize that i should not jump to a litre bike just like that as i own a 250cc, was thinkin of goin for a 954 but now will settle down for a F4i looks good too, will dev my skills and will upgrade in a year or 2.

THANX GUYS

Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 PM

First i think you need to take your own advice, dont listen to anyone else, you'll be the one paying the $$$ and if you want a 954RR dont settle for less, a "liter" bike will get you just in as much trouble as a 600cc, funny people say start out with a 600cc something that has a top speed of over 160 and 0-60 as close if not the same as a litre bike. Its all in the rider and how you are, if you think that you can take care of something and not let it get the best of you then do it. I have seen alot of ridders start out on a 600cc and think of it as the "little bike" and get bit hard, 60mph hurts on a 600, 1000, 954 or a 250. Plus with a litre bike you can focus on good throttle control and balance rather then what gear to be in to be in the powerband. If you get a 600 get it because you want it, if you truely repect the bike (954RR) and dont get stupid you will be fine, if you drop a liter bike or 600cc the cost are the same to fix it so bumb what the squids say and get what you want. Good luck no matter what you get and enjoy the sport for what it is

Old 04-04-2006, 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: matt365

I think I am just getting sick and tired of dealing with newbie threads... its always the same thing, I swear... no matter what board, location, etc... its always the same.[:@] I tell you this because all of us as the riding community care about what happens to new people entering the sport we all love.

i thought the point of a website like this was to HELP people, know one made you type for 2 hours on the topic.... plus you shouldnt say what someone will or want do, everyone approaches topics with diffrent styles. so lay off the noobie guys to ridding and let them ask a question. I;d rather spend 5 minutes replying to an email to save a new ridder some $$$ or better yet his life, its post like yours that scare noobies away to not posting what they think

Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 AM

I agree with Trex get the bike you really like the best don't settle for something to just learn on, you can learn just as well on a liter bike as a 600cc. I never rode a streetbike before either but i did have a fully drag banshee before this and the banshee still doesn't compare to the 954. But i really really like the looks of the 2002 black and silver 954 so thats what i bought and Yes it does have ALOT OF POWER but you've got to respect that power and learn the power of the bike slowly not go ***** to wall of what the bike can do. I to was going to buy a 600rr at first just to learn on but my friend talked me out of buying a smaller bike because i would just get bored with it and want more power 6 months later. So all i have to say is get the bike you really like and learn on that i sure am glad i picked the 954rr!!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: mazdajoe

I just bought an '03 R1 (basically the same as a 954RR but with a tiny amount of more power). I really dont think that it is a good starter bike. My first bike was a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600S. Within a month I was making full throttle trips to redline in both first and second gear and did one top speed run on the interstate with it... but only a couple weeks earlier I dropped the bike THREE times. Granted I had absolutely no clue how to ride a bike before I bought it because I didnt take the MSF course, and I still havnt. But having a bike makes people do stupid things and if you have a 954 that can accelerate to 60 in a little bit over 3 seconds you are just asking for trouble. I sold the bandit 2 months after I bought it because I didnt think it had enough performance and bought a F4i 8 months later. The F4i was perfect for me--a very inexperienced rider. After several months on it I could spin the rear tire exiting corners. To be honest, I hated the bike when I had it but looking back on it now I realize that it was a damn good bike, especially with a -1 front sprocket installed. I never thought I would be the one to say this, because I feel that it is POSSIBLE that you could safely handle a 954, but I really dont think you should get it because I dont think you will enjoy it as much and ride it as safely as someone who has had some prior experience. That bike will put you on your *** in no time. The 954 has excellent midrange and is just as fast as a new 1000 up to a certain point. Grab slightly too much throttle in first or maybe even second gear and the front end will either shoot up or youll experience a bad amount of headshake, which can scare the **** out of and severely injure a new rider. If you do decide to buy it, just remember that the bike is extremely fast and that you should keep track of what your right wrist is doing at all times. I am certain that a 600 will make you a better rider, but some newbs can ride a 954 safely on the street. Street riding doesnt take much skill and so if you know what you are doing, you should be fine. But that first time you decide to get on it, which will happen, there is a greater possibility of injury compared to a lesser bike. I was just told a story on a local forum about a guy who bought a brand new 1000 from the dealer. First, he could not get the bike started because he didnt know about the kill switch. Then, when making a turn no more than 2 miles from the dealership, he spun up the rear tire and dumped the bike. Finally, upon trying to get it restarted for the ride home, he killed it 3 times and couldnt figure out why...turns out the kickstand was down. Yes this same series of events could have happened on any bike, but a 1000 compounds the difficulty of learning how to ride a bike.
Are you kidding???[:@]

Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 AM

No, I'm not a person that likes to make things out to be harder than they really are... Tell me, what is so complicated about it. You turn the throttle with your right hand, operate the clutch with your left hand, operate the brakes with your right foot and right hand, and change gears with your left foot. Then turning is just like riding a bicycle and you follow the rules of the road the exact same way you would in a car. I dont see where the complication is. My dad hasnt ridden in 20 years and he hopped on my f4i when I had it and rode it fine. It took me all of 4 hours to become comfortable enough with my first bike to ride it on every type road in all conditions except snow and I had ZERO previous motorcycle experience and very limited manual transmission experience but I have had thousands of hours of bicycle experience. Taking down hill corners at 30+mph on knobby dirt tires will teach anyone the art of cornering. Maybe I am just a naturally talented rider and I should go pro, or your making motorcycling out to be some sort of superhuman activity.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: mazdajoe

No, I'm not a person that likes to make things out to be harder than they really are... Tell me, what is so complicated about it. You turn the throttle with your right hand, operate the clutch with your left hand, operate the brakes with your right foot and right hand, and change gears with your left foot. Then turning is just like riding a bicycle and you follow the rules of the road the exact same way you would in a car. I dont see where the complication is. My dad hasnt ridden in 20 years and he hopped on my f4i when I had it and rode it fine. It took me all of 4 hours to become comfortable enough with my first bike to ride it on every type road in all conditions except snow and I had ZERO previous motorcycle experience and very limited manual transmission experience but I have had thousands of hours of bicycle experience. Taking down hill corners at 30+mph on knobby dirt tires will teach anyone the art of cornering. Maybe I am just a naturally talented rider and I should go pro, or your making motorcycling out to be some sort of superhuman activity.

Maybe you should seriously re evaluate your erroneous thinking that a motorcycle which has 130+hp can be compared to riding a bicycle, that in and of itself is outrageous! But let me tell you which skills are vital if you want to survive when being a motorcyclist on the streets where you claim no skills are needed.

1. You have drivers drinking coffee, while talking on their cell phone and sending emails on their black berry while at the wheel of 5000+ pounds SUV's. Don't you think this is a substantial danger which you have to contend with and have critical braking, avoidance and alertness skills to contend with?
2. You have huge blind spots in cars, trucks, etc etc which if you are not alert to, could cause someone to drive right over you, and I mean this quite literally.
3. You have a machine capable of accelerating to 60+mph in less than 4 seconds and put you underneath a 10000 pound garbage truck, because you have no throttle control.
4. You have cars making left turns in front of you when they are not supposed to, pulling out of strip malls with out looking, and you say this requires no skills?
5. You have cars deciding to exit highways at high speed at the last possible second, and cutting you of with no regard for your or anyone else’s safety, and this requires no skills to prevent?
6. You have a vehicle in which if you do not know the mechanics and use the back brake in panic situations, you will skid out of control and be hit by a car, hit a tree, guard rail etc.
7. You have open bridge grates, holes, oil spills, gravel, and according to you none of these things require any skill to evade and live to tell about it?

Your dad may have ridden your bike under no adverse conditions. As for you, I doubt you have experienced every type of road in all conditions, if you had your opinions would be very different I can assure you. I am very sorry but it is quite apparent that you are not the talented rider you think you are. Proficient motorcycling takes years to learn, and it does require many skills whether on the road or on the track. It’s just wrong to try to convince people that are new to the sport that street riding requires little skill. I will not stand for that, as it’s the fastest way to get someone killed.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 AM

I'm a new rider on a 929 and no problems yet but I do think it would be better to learn on a smaller bike. I am takeing it real slow with my bike no matter what anyone says i'm not in a hurry to go 150 down the highway. I took a week riding around my neighborhood not leaving 2nd gear. Now i've started rideing out a little more but i stay away from busy streets. So it's not the best idea to go for the big bike but i think you can do it but the odds are not in your favor. Still i'm haveing fun learning at my my own speed and if I don't hit sixth gear all summer thats fine because i do want to live for a little while longer!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 AM

Sometimes the truth is scary man. 100+ hp, 370lb bikes have more power to weight than a Ferrari. Most boards sticky questions like this, because the questions are always the same. I respect all newbies questions, I just want the truth to hit home and prevent a fatality that could have been easily avoided through education.

The honest truth is, even with loads of experience, litre bikes can make your skills rusty and complacent. There is no need to work on proper technique and build skill when you can just turn the wrist and catch up to the pack. I think I may go down in cc's for my next machine, as I find I am not challenged with regular street riding at this point.

Figure this, the ZX-10R does 100mph (or 160kph for meNorth of the border) in first gear. There is not many professional racers that could string out a machinesuch as that on the track, and the street would be nuts.

In my book, smaller = better. More margin for error.

I want new guys to be safe.
When I was new I wanted the biggest and baddest bike too, so I am no different.

I do wish that Canada and the U.S. had a tiered licensing system though. Then cool bikes such as a 2-stroke Aprilia RS250(not a beginner bike either[8D]) would be imported, as we would have a market for them. As it sits, no-one wants to have anything less than a 600, while the smaller cc machines are kick a$$

Quick Reply: Beginner on a 954RR....