CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Beginner on a 954RR....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner on a 954RR....

All I have to say is be careful and ride smart. Listen to the advice people are trying to give you. 99% of the time the statement is true, It is not a matter of if you will wreck, but when!! So just be safe. A litre bike is not the best bike for a beginner. Just keep that in mind and get a bike that you can practice on and improve your skills on, then when you are ready get a 954.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 AM

I wouldnt buy a F4i new...you can get a used bike that is just as good as new for thousands less. If I were to buy a new 600 "starter bike" I would get either the Kawasaki zzr600 or the Yamaha R6s...a sv650 would be a good bike too. I disagree with getting a 500 or a 250 for a first bike, those things just plain suck at every aspect of sport riding. ****ty brakes, ****ty handling, and they will barely break 100 mph for top speed...not to mention the fact that they were styled in 1985. They do get 60mpg though so you'll save on gas!!!!! You could ride forever on one of those and never learn how to ride a more powerful bike because the amount of throttle you can use on one of those exiting a corner is a lot differnet than the amount of throttle you can use on a more powerful bike. Yeah they can teach you how to ride and to learn the rules of the road, but so can a faster bike if you don't twist the throttle as much. I feal like I could have learned on my f4i as I thought it was WAY easier to ride than my bandit. I think a more capable bike is also safer in that everything is more immediate and it does what you tell it to when you tell it to, not a half second later like lesser bikes. I would recommend a 600 to any level headed new rider. And about the 140mph thing...it really isnt that big of a deal on a bike either. I had the f4i to 150 indicated and the only thrill was from me wondering if there was a cop parked ahead alongside the road. It is definately not worth getting in trouble for.... 200mph might be worth it but there still isnt a bike manufactured that will go that fast stock.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM

These guys are right, understandable your lookin for advice, be careful what you ask for, because here you will get it wether you want it or not,[:@] alot of safty concience people, here they totaly respect their bikes and what the bikes can do[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 PM

I teach the MSF in Ontario Canada, and that is the way it works for us, I assume it is the same in NC?

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NC

"Most locations issue an MSF RiderCourse Completion Card. Upon successful completion of the RiderCourse, some states, not all, will waive the on-bike riding skills test and/or the written test required to obtain your motorcycle operator's license or endorsement."
Cut from the site, I guess you'll have to call & make sure.

A 600 is still pushing 100+ hp in a bike that weighs 375 lbs, so if you get an F4i be careful. It is nearly as fast in every way as a 954, but it won't wad you up as quick as a litre bike will. You figure the F4 & F4i were honda race machines a few years back. I still would reccommend something a little smaller, but a 600 is a much better choice for sure. F4i will still smoke every car on the road except for a $$$ high end supercar (even then the bike still has it beat 0-60mph[&:])

Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 AM

yo dude your driving habits mirror your riding habits if your a decent driver you will make a good rider. Honda has a knack for making good handling bikes and they are also very user friendly. I started out on a 600 F4I but up graded to a 954 rr within 4 months i say get the bike you wont regret it jus keep in mind to respect that power . The rest is jus a twist of the throttle .

Old 04-03-2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the comment.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I have decided to get a used Yamaha YZF R6 so i'll be on that website under SmithR6. Take care. ~Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt365, tough love, good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You just had an HUGE hand, probably saving that guys life!!!!!!! I'll never forget the MSF instructors sad look, when i cruised into class, on the last day(no license) on a 80' kz 1300 6 cyl dresser!!!!!!!!! One of those "nice known ya" deals. I hope that guy rides w/ mature riders and is teachable... so he has wisdom to pass on,once possesed. Good job all, we know there is the odd few, that would survive a K begginer bike, but my own exp., By the grace of GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n

Old 04-03-2006, 04:03 PM
TEN

+1

Good job

Quick Reply: Beginner on a 954RR....