CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Any experience with pilot power pure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
update! so i was taking some high speed sweepers and tire was starting to fold and give at 90mph+. raised prfessure back to 32 . i think im going to have to keep that as the lowest . i mean tire folded up andwas very sloppy and felt wobbly, i think since the carcus on that tire is so light that at high speeds you have to have that pressure so the tire doesnt extend so much. will see . ill be giving it a test tomorrow
Thank you for the real-life feedback. I, for one, appreciate the time and integrity it took to follow-up on your previous recommendation since I am
a beginner and have a set of pures that I'm about to put on. Better you telling everyone that the tire starts to fold than have beginners like me find out first hand!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Michelin Race Reps recommend 34 f/r for Pures and 32-34 f/r for PP2CTs, both street and track. I'm a Michelin contract rider and have had this conversation numerous times with the race and factory reps. All the bad things people say about the 2CTs, Pures, etc., in my experience, have been traced back to incorrect (usually low) pressures.

In the old days, we used to say "30/30" hot for a tire. Not true anymore. Technology has changed, and with that, the recommended pressures.

I ran 2CTs on the track (someone was talking about them being no good for aggressive riding earlier) and scraped the fairings on the 954. Buddy of mine ran a whole season of racing on 2CTs and ran high expert lap times. Nothing wrong with 2CTs, Pures, or any of the Michelin high-end line.

And wanted to add, most other tire brand race reps don't know the Michelin pressures - ask a Bridgestone guy, he'll give you Bridgestone pressures for your Michelins, and they usually aren't right. The variance is also great for the particular model of the tire - my Michelin P1 "C" rear runs 22 psi cold, while a P1 Street runs 27 or so.

Last edited by randyjoy; 07-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
Michelin Race Reps recommend 34 f/r for Pures and 32-34 f/r for PP2CTs, both street and track. I'm a Michelin contract rider and have had this conversation numerous times with the race and factory reps. All the bad things people say about the 2CTs, Pures, etc., in my experience, have been traced back to incorrect (usually low) pressures.

In the old days, we used to say "30/30" hot for a tire. Not true anymore. Technology has changed, and with that, the recommended pressures.

I ran 2CTs on the track (someone was talking about them being no good for aggressive riding earlier) and scraped the fairings on the 954. Buddy of mine ran a whole season of racing on 2CTs and ran high expert lap times. Nothing wrong with 2CTs, Pures, or any of the Michelin high-end line.

And wanted to add, most other tire brand race reps don't know the Michelin pressures - ask a Bridgestone guy, he'll give you Bridgestone pressures for your Michelins, and they usually aren't right. The variance is also great for the particular model of the tire - my Michelin P1 "C" rear runs 22 psi cold, while a P1 Street runs 27 or so.

the michelin race rep i spoke with at the track recomended 32 front 30 rear for the pures. i have had no issues with loosing the rear and i actully like the rear end feel of the tire. as for the front not happy. i havent gone as high as 34 though so i will try that. but its a lil late now since i picked up screw yester in the rear. prob going to throw a pirelli on the back. should be interesting to see how it handles

Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm going to try a set of pures on my buell. I have PP 2cts on it now, road on them for 3 days in the mountains of NC and never worried about traction. I just got a cycle hill tire changer, so I'm not to worried about mileage anymore. I have regular pilot powers on the 54 and they felt just as good in the mountains.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 PM

pures do decent mileage. i did two track days and gap like riding everyweekend and they stilll had a lot oflife in them. you will love them compared to the ppowers 2cts. i had trouble with the 2cts holding lines but i was running some quick times

Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
the michelin race rep i spoke with at the track recomended 32 front 30 rear for the pures. i have had no issues with loosing the rear and i actully like the rear end feel of the tire. as for the front not happy. i havent gone as high as 34 though so i will try that. but its a lil late now since i picked up screw yester in the rear. prob going to throw a pirelli on the back. should be interesting to see how it handles
I'd try 33, then 34 in the front, see how it feels; if the 30 rear feels OK stay with it.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
I'd try 33, then 34 in the front, see how it feels; if the 30 rear feels OK stay with it.
so im going to get some q2s, i hate dunslops but i can get a seet for 200 shippedto my door and a friend of mine wasw running 115s on em at putnam. i think they will be well worth the money. maybe not as good of a tire but who knows. he ran power ones and the q2s and said he like the q2s better. but power race ones are def better then both

Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM

I know this is a thread dig but I've recently fitted a set of pures to my 954, which replaced some Road 1's. I'm unsure what pressure to run for the mountain twisties with lowish temps (20 degrees) as my older tyres I used to run 32 front and 38 rear. I keep reading these tyres need high pressure, but then I see people get better results with pressures around 32 on both tyres.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know your riding style or combined weight on the bike. Start with 30/Rear 32/front. Take her for a spin. Let them heat up. Get some readings. Then start to dial it in to your preferences.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Ok thanks. I know it's not a lot of information but if I could get a decent starting point then it helps out. Yea I'm about 82kgs but I need to read up more on suspension as it's still set to the previous owner (1 click off the hardest setting on the rear preload hah).

Quick Reply: Any experience with pilot power pure?