CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Any experience with pilot power pure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
talked to track racers and riders of 30+ years about the 2ct's. one laid his new duc over with a 2ct on the back because when the transition from the two compounds starts to go, you get slick with no grip. Like a race tire that is worn, it has no traction. they are mechanics that have owned more bikes than i am old(19) and if they say its sketchy, i take their word. I have a 2ct on the back now but i will never have one again. if its a around town bike that sees little aggressive riding, they are good. But if you are trying to get the bike over, they dont seem to be the safest for that. just my 2 cents

Sounds like the guy with the duc just wanted to blame the tire instead of himself for his crash. There is really no transition between the compounds on a 2CT because the soft compound is maybe the last half of an inch on each side of the tire. Most riders who buy 2CT's never lean the bike far enough to even use the softer compound. No matter how far you lean you will have both compounds in contact with the road. These tires have excellent grip for street use and some light track use. I would say that you will not find the limits of the 2CT on the street.

I just finished wearing out a set of 2CT's with no problems and I use every bit of the tire. The pilot power and PP 2CT's will stick good enough for most all riders on the street. An experienced rider on the track may overheat the tires and cause them to become slick but this will rarely happen on the street. You can't blame a tire without knowing the setup of the guy's bike that said he had a problem with them. His suspension settings could be all wrong along with tire pressure. This could cause any tire to loose traction.

Currently I am about 700 miles into a set of Pures and they feel great. I dont expect to get anywhere near the mileage of 2CT's with the Pures but thats fine with me. When I ride I want to most grip I can get out a tire.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
talked to track racers and riders of 30+ years about the 2ct's. one laid his new duc over with a 2ct on the back because when the transition from the two compounds starts to go, you get slick with no grip. Like a race tire that is worn, it has no traction. they are mechanics that have owned more bikes than i am old(19) and if they say its sketchy, i take their word. I have a 2ct on the back now but i will never have one again. if its a around town bike that sees little aggressive riding, they are good. But if you are trying to get the bike over, they dont seem to be the safest for that. just my 2 cents

key word is new in that paragraph. Sounds like unheated or un scuffed tires but id say he over rode his bike/skill bcuz it was a new bike.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Well put Backdoc.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickels
key word is new in that paragraph. Sounds like unheated or un scuffed tires but id say he over rode his bike/skill bcuz it was a new bike.
By new i meant a year old. it was the remake of the supersport that duc released a few years ago. but your right backdoc, it could have been other factors and they are probably not the right tire to see a weekend at the track. just thought it was a coincidence because me and him talked a few weeks ago then i ran across this thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Im on my second set of Pures. Great Tire! Trackdays or spirited romps. They are very sensitive to pressure though. Once you get them dialed in for you and your ride. You will never look back!
yeah i tried to run them at the recommended pressure of 32 front 30 rear but they were taking to long to warm up so i dropped pressure to 29 front 28 rear warm and they road great . it was wierd cuz ive heard you have to run higher pressure because of the carcass of the tire stretching to much during acceleration but i had no trouble.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Those are the same pressures I run. I will drop even lower as Air temps rise and go really low if its the last session under full sun. It was hard to shake those low pressures in my head for awhile........

Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM

update! so i was taking some high speed sweepers and tire was starting to fold and give at 90mph+. raised prfessure back to 32 . i think im going to have to keep that as the lowest . i mean tire folded up andwas very sloppy and felt wobbly, i think since the carcus on that tire is so light that at high speeds you have to have that pressure so the tire doesnt extend so much. will see . ill be giving it a test tomorrow

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
update! so i was taking some high speed sweepers and tire was starting to fold and give at 90mph+. raised prfessure back to 32 . i think im going to have to keep that as the lowest . i mean tire folded up andwas very sloppy and felt wobbly, i think since the carcus on that tire is so light that at high speeds you have to have that pressure so the tire doesnt extend so much. will see . ill be giving it a test tomorrow

duhhh

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by nickels
duhhh
well damn i didnt know you were a expert on this new tire technology or i wouldnt have wasted my time and i would have just pmed you. there is a lot of talk about these tires and wat pressure to run because the tech is so new . look around , go to a track see what people say

Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
well damn i didnt know you were a expert on this new tire technology or i wouldnt have wasted my time and i would have just pmed you. there is a lot of talk about these tires and wat pressure to run because the tech is so new . look around , go to a track see what people say

use common sense for a minute, pilot powers run 30 so why would a softer side wall tire take less its needs the air pressure to keep it from folding

Quick Reply: Any experience with pilot power pure?