CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 vs '03 F4i? anybody...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 vs '03 F4i? anybody...

I posted this topic on the General Tech forum and didn't get much back yet, so I though I might try here, also.

I am curious. Anybody have experience with both these bikes and want to give impressions or comparisons between the two?

I just recently got onto an "03 F4i after a short stint on a 5th generation VFR. Discovered with that bike that I am NOT a sport touring rider...hated the weight, didn't like the linked brakes and I found the suspension pretty crude for my preferences. Loved the motor, though.

Anyway, this F4i is very good. Handles excellently now that I have the suspension dialed-in. This is first-ever inline four Honda and I am impressed.

I've been reading around and I notice that the 954 has the same weight as my f4i but 45 more HP. And some of the older magazine reviews mention it has good mid-range, something I haven't really found in my 600. A lot of the technology is identical to my 600, too...same components even. I'm thinking I could certainly use that extra power at track days to get round some of the "liter bike..."you ain't gonna pass me, even if you are faster most of the lap" guys who hammer every straight to 'stay ahead'. Plus, I just like messing with bikes and I'd like another...

So with the same weight and ~50 more HP, I'd expect the 954 might be a little faster at the track and a lot easier and more relaxed to ride hard. The F4i, it seems to work best in a relatively narrow RPM range...not a real problem, but you must pay pretty close attention to get the most from it...

Anybody here own or have owned both and care to compare the two for me? Thanks, Don Hanson

Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both and it all depends on the rider.Yes the weight is very similar on both bikes.The 600 is better on tighter tracks as you can be on the power sooner out of corners.Both bikes are similar in handling but the power of the 954 can scare you.When I had my f4i,I was able to pass my friend who had a 954 in some slower,tighter corners with ease until we hit the straights then it was over.I now have 2 954 and both are set up for track.People always tell me to buy a newer more powerful bike for the track.But when I pass them up,then they say"I see why you don't need a newer bike".
I have a SV 650 as well just for the tighter tracks.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM

I owned both, went straight from the f4i to the 954.

I love the f4i... I mean LOVE IT! it is a great all around bike, Comfy as sport bikes go, with plenty of power and handles very well too. The f4i front forks work well but lack some "bling" factor, they are not inverted.

The geometry of the f4i gives the bike a heavy feel on turn in but not bad at all and the benefit is a bike that does not twitch its head when the going gets bumpy. That is to say, it never shakes it's head... as in no worries about tank slappers.

The 954rr is also a very comfy bike as far as sport bikes go. It has a lot more torque than the f4i, heavy acceleration does not require lots of downshifting. The suspension on the 954rr is an upgrade compared to the f4i. It feels much more planted on my favorite 100mph sweeper turns. But the bike is very twitchy. After the 954rr shook it's head on me twice (at 90mph), I bought a Scott's steering damper. That solved the problem of head shakes but it was not cheap.

As a nit pick, the 954rr blows hot air on my right leg (HOT!). It has a power surge that is no fun at 3000 RPM, but you get used to it... sort of.

As far as looks I prefer the older f4i 2001-2003 with two separate seats. By the way those f4i's are faster than the 2004 and up models.

The 954rr wins in the "coolness" department. It is a fairly rare bike, was the last of the FireBlades designed by Tadao Baba. As a tribute to him all subsequent Fireblades (2004 and up) have the "b" in Fireblade lower case.
It is also the lightest liter class bike made, I think it is still lighter than a 2013 cbr 1000rr.

Of course the 954rr wins as far as performance goes.

I like the 954rr and the f4i for different reasons and I would be happy with either.

Last edited by LasVegasHarley; 12-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by LasVegasHarley
I owned both,
I like the 954rr and the f4i for different reasons and I would be happy with either.

Snipped....

Thanks, very informative response. I'm now on the hunt for a 954, but in no huge hurry and looking for more of a 'project' bike.

I, too, am quite taken with my '03 F4i. I've been tweeking the suspension and have the handling quickened-up now by lowering the front and shiming the rear shock up slightly. I've been conservative in my changes and have yet to feel any headshake. When I do find my 954 I will address that frequently-mentioned twitchy front, probably with a Scotts, which I have dirtbike experience with.......I do not like that headshake feeling...
Thanks again for the thoughtful response.
Don Hanson

Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
Snipped....

Thanks, very informative response. I'm now on the hunt for a 954, but in no huge hurry and looking for more of a 'project' bike.

I, too, am quite taken with my '03 F4i. I've been tweeking the suspension and have the handling quickened-up now by lowering the front and shiming the rear shock up slightly. I've been conservative in my changes and have yet to feel any headshake. When I do find my 954 I will address that frequently-mentioned twitchy front, probably with a Scotts, which I have dirtbike experience with.......I do not like that headshake feeling...
Thanks again for the thoughtful response.
Don Hanson
I purchased a Hyperpro RSC damper right after my 954 wheelie'd in mid lean and came back down putting me into a nice tank slapper......just as mentioned before, this bike has A LOT of power for its weight and will take you by surprise if not careful. All in all, I love the 954 and don't see myself kicking it to the curb.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM

No reason too, kick it to the curb, its a great motorcycle.