CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   2003 Honda 954 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/2003-honda-954-a-156029/)

Edgardj 05-17-2017 07:15 PM

2003 Honda 954

Hi.Any help would appreciate. I have a 2003 Honda 954 with charging problems. I got the Haynes repair manual that show me how to check the alternator.(0.1 to 1.0 Homs) are the values for each terminal coming from the alternator.Make the test 0.6 are the three readings and there's no continuity from each terminal to ground.At this point a think is OK.But the manual did not have data to inspect the voltage regulator itself.How could I test this voltage regulator with a multimeter?What is the correct way to check the AC output of the alternator?

wes 17 05-18-2017 01:34 PM

Do a continuity check between the cables. Likewise the r/r itself. Think you might find your issue there. From what I remember ( and I have definitely been wrong in the past) I think, remember think, there should be no continuity between cables but my two of my r/r pins
actually did........new r/r and alls good.
Should mention, have you've tested your battery output unloaded/starting/ running then loaded ?

74demon 05-18-2017 02:17 PM

If the stator and battery test good, then the R?R is bad.

Just replace the stator and regulator as a set. That way you will be good to go for a while. If you replace just one, the other will go bad and could take out the newer one. You will be constantly having charging issues and reliability goes out the window. Do them both and be done with it.

Edgardj 05-18-2017 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1304505)
If the stator and battery test good, then the R?R is bad.

Just replace the stator and regulator as a set. That way you will be good to go for a while. If you replace just one, the other will go bad and could take out the newer one. You will be constantly having charging issues and reliability goes out the window. Do them both and be done with it.

I have seen on YouTube from Roadstercycle.com a video to check r/r with a multimeter
Is very simple I do the test and got it,one diode faulty.Only difference is the voltage regulator he use on video is 5 wire,3 to stator one positive,one negative.CBR 954 is 8 wires,3 to stator 2 positive 2 negative 1 to ECM.Don't going to explain now how I do the text,but if someone want it I'll do.The question is if the stator is good in specs why buy other?

CaBaRet 05-19-2017 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Edgardj (Post 1304516)
I have seen on YouTube from Roadstercycle.com a video to check r/r with a multimeter
Is very simple I do the test and got it,one diode faulty.Only difference is the voltage regulator he use on video is 5 wire,3 to stator one positive,one negative.CBR 954 is 8 wires,3 to stator 2 positive 2 negative 1 to ECM.Don't going to explain now how I do the text,but if someone want it I'll do.The question is if the stator is good in specs why buy other?

Hi, but are you sure the stator is good ?, have you done an AC output check on the stator with the engine running

74demon 05-19-2017 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Edgardj (Post 1304516)

Why buy both? Because it will fail fairly soon after you get the new regulator. Leaving you dead in the water. When it does fail, the is a good chance that the short to ground will take out the new regulator. If you don't want to do both and have a solid charging system, then don't. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

Edgardj 05-19-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet (Post 1304524)
Hi, but are you sure the stator is good ?, have you done an AC output check on the stator with the engine running

Only test I do check coils and continuity.

Edgardj 05-19-2017 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1304525)
Why buy both? Because it will fail fairly soon after you get the new regulator. Leaving you dead in the water. When it does fail, the is a good chance that the short to ground will take out the new regulator. If you don't want to do both and have a solid charging system, then don't. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

What aftermarket stator you recommend to me Ricks,Rmstator,Caltric or Electrosport.

74demon 05-19-2017 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Edgardj (Post 1304530)
What aftermarket stator you recommend to me Ricks,Rmstator,Caltric or Electrosport.

I don't recommend using aftermarket. They cost less, but are hit or miss with the quality. I see threads here daily about failure of new aftermarket charging parts. Honda did have problems with their early regulators, but the one you have on your bike is a good design and works. I use the OE parts (I just got a set from partzilla and will be spending my Saturday installing them) and forget about them for 40k miles or so. It's worth spending a little bit more for quality and only having to deal with repairing it once.

If OE is not a option, go with whichever one has the better return policy.

Edgardj 05-24-2017 10:35 PM

Fix

Originally Posted by Edgardj (Post 1304484)
Hi.Any help would appreciate. I have a 2003 Honda 954 with charging problems. I got the Haynes repair manual that show me how to check the alternator.(0.1 to 1.0 Homs) are the values for each terminal coming from the alternator.Make the test 0.6 are the three readings and there's no continuity from each terminal to ground.At this point a think is OK.But the manual did not have data to inspect the voltage regulator itself.How could I test this voltage regulator with a multimeter?What is the correct way to check the AC output of the alternator?

Hi everyone.I have fix my Honda 954.Voltage regulator was the problem.I have note the location of the voltage regulator(left side under rear cowl)is close no flow of air.I think it's not good for a part that works hot all the time.I decide to relocate it under the seat cowl.Have to use relay,12V mini fan and L8712 12V voltage regulator to maintain 12V constantcy for the fan.Would like to activate the cooling fan with the side stand. Let see how it works.If anyone need help how to diagnostic the charging sistem including the voltage regulator I would help you.Thank you very much.