CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

2002 954RR down on power and bad vibration

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 954RR down on power and bad vibration

I am a combat medic stationed in Germany and need some guidance. My 2002 CBR 954RR has the following going on. It has a rattle on first start up (not the exhaust valve rattle, this is normal on the 954, everyone complains about them rattling on start-up when cold) this is a quick rattle that goes away after a second or two, and then it comes back over four thousand RPMs with a loss of power and it gets a weird vibration. The rattle seems to come from under the fuel tank. When it reaches temps where the fan will turn on or when the clutch is pulled in, in gear, at idle, is when the red engine light will come on, it will turn back off when the clutch is out in gear and sometimes in neutral. No smoke from the exhaust, no leaks, always had super plus fuel in it. It is almost time for a valve adjustment so I've bought the shims and gasket but I am at a loss as to what is causing the power loss.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM

Have you checked the spark plugs? It could be running on 3 cylinders.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Thank you. i am going to check them this weekend and see if that is the problem. I think maybe one is cutting out causing the vibration.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you performed the self diagnosis of the Fuel-Injection system (section 5-6) in the service manual?

Here is a quick way to check your plugs. Get a spray bottle filled with water and start your bike and let it warm up. Now mist some water on each header pipe near the top. If the cylinder is firing good the pipe should be hot enough to evaporate the water very fast. If the water is able to run down the pipe then that cylinder has a problem.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Have you performed the self diagnosis of the Fuel-Injection system (section 5-6) in the service manual?

Here is a quick way to check your plugs. Get a spray bottle filled with water and start your bike and let it warm up. Now mist some water on each header pipe near the top. If the cylinder is firing good the pipe should be hot enough to evaporate the water very fast. If the water is able to run down the pipe then that cylinder has a problem.
that's a good idea. I have an infrared thermometer, so I am spoiled.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by moosestang
that's a good idea. I have an infrared thermometer, so I am spoiled.
same here. infrared heat gun. best thing at diagnosing misfires!. i never would have thought of the spray bottle with water, i'll remember that for when i'm in a jam

Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Im also going to give the H2O bottle a try as here in Germany my best chance for a Infared gun is E bay then wait weeks. Im gonna order one, thanks for the intel. Do you guys have any other ideas just in case?

Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry i don't have more for you. if you had a vid or something of it, i could have more info to go on. rattle isn't specific enough.

but really down on power on bad vibration says to me - misfire. but i don't know anything without being there.

however, you being in the army, i'm sure there's someone there would have one or know of where to get one close

Last edited by Conrice; 10-21-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM

My bet is 1 cylinder isn't firing. It's amazing how good my v8 mustang idles and cruises on 7 cylinders, but acceleration feels like shiot! I had aftermarket coil-on-plugs from accel and 1 decided it had enough.