CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   2002 954 Issues. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/2002-954-issues-149175/)

Monolith 09-16-2013 09:43 PM

2002 954 Issues.

Ok..did a search and nothing came up specific to my symptoms....so here's the break down.

Ok...last week when starting the bike the FI light came on and the MIL light came on after starting...but no blinking...turning off and restarting made it go away.

Yesterday bike died at light, RPM's dropping slowly not an instant die like electricity problem, and stutters around 4K RPM's....still running ok though elsewhere. No FI light no MIL.

Today died again at a light, gradual loss of RPM's....FI light came on...MIL came on and stayed...even through restarting at a light.

Got home...with key on, kickstand down, in neutral, kill switch on run, the MIL light blinks constantly...short .5 second blick with about a second between blinks.

I know some codes are up to 35 short blinks so I counted and stopped when I hit 36...it just constantly short blinks. .5 sec blink, second off, .5 second blink, second off....constantly.

So I'm assuming this is the MAP sensor code from my manual....but wanted to make sure before yanking the tank.

Next day:

This morning the bike started and idled no problem...MIL light was on. But it wouldn't rev past 2500 RPM's without falling on it's face then dying. MIL light blinked 1..pause...then 8 blinks....which is MAP and TP sensors.

Turned it off and back on MIL light gone...ran fine halfway to work then MIL light and FI light came on but ran normal the rest of the way.

After work...started fine...no lights....halfway home FI and MIL light came on but ran fine remaining 10 miles home.

Propped tank....MAP plug clean and full inserted. Vacuum hose fully inserted and looks fine...not even dry rotting from what I can see (Bike has 36K miles)...followed vacuum line all the way to where it connects to engine under the fuel pressure regulator...all looks good. Air filter clean.

I'm stumped....

One thing I noticed this morning...FI and MIL light ALWAYS turn on at same time every morning...same distance from house....around 10 miles. Wondering maybe generator might be going bad and takes that long before dropping below 12 volts and ECU noticing? Battery is new so it gets me the rest of the way?

Ok..noticed TP sensor and MAP sensor had same kind of plugs...just one is grey and one is blue...checked wire diagrams for wire colors to each and they are plugged into the right places.

Bike has the flapper mod done...but it's been done since I bought the bike in March and has caused no issues....

The HTEV is also gone due to an aftermarket exhaust system but the servo is still there and it too has been done since March and no problems in 8K miles.

Up until this issue with the MIL light appearing when starting last week I have never had any warning lights or FI lights whatsoever.

I'm hoping someone has had similar symptoms and gotten it fixed and can help me narrow this down...I cannot afford to take it to the shop and it is my sole means of transportation.

I can continued riding it like this..it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the bike in anyway, outside of that one morning but a turn off and restart fixed that, but would prefer to have my baby in tip top shape because I love her so much.

cBrentb 09-24-2013 05:01 AM

I had the same issue, just fixed it recently. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. Mine has the flapper mod and htev delete (pinned wide open position).

To fix I did the servo motor delete mod, it makes the MIL and FI lights go away.

You can buy a "servo buddy" or like I did just make your own. I payed six dollars for the parts to make one and it works like a charm. Its a compasitor and two resistors, then solder them together a certain way. Really easy fix in my case. Look up "pdfruth" on the search feature.

I don't know about the running issues you are having. That might be something different all together.

Monolith 09-25-2013 07:48 AM

Update:

It was water in the MAP and TP plugs after a pressure wash. :icon_doh:

Been 4 days and a Dallas to Abiline road trip with no issues after I put some dielectric grease in the plugs.

No more pressure washes for my baby...she gets the diaper treatment from now on :)