CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

03 954RR Stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 954RR Stock exhaust

This a continuation of another thread but since the info contained could be useful for a quick glance I figured it warranted a separate thread. First a little explanation. I am a strong believer in "Loud pipes save lives" and the stock exhaust is anything but loud. I decided I wanted to cut it down and after reading a bit it sounded easy so I thought I would give it a go. Well after getting the cap off the end I see that the can is sealed should have expected it but didn't think about it. Thus without welding skills and a butt ugly muffler I was forced to purchase a new one for daily driving. However, I will continue to update this thread with new pics and videos because I have a few ideas in mind to try out. I have a few videos that go with the pics below but I need a firewire adapter for my new mac before they can be uploaded. Hope some of you can find this info useful.

Stock muffler with a bit of buffed out road rash:

Muffler removed:

Can off bike:

Cap removed:

A better look at how I mangled the thing and what it looks like under there:

And what will be replacing it:

Got it off an ebay store (unnamed because I don't know how we feel about advertising non-sponsors on this site) for $419 shipped ($40 cheaper than anywhere else I could find) it shipped out the next day if it gets here in one piece and is what I ordered I will be VERY happy with unnamed company and will definitely do business again.

Anyway, stay tuned as I will be uploading more pics and video of what I do with the stock muffler and sound comparisons with the new one.

Last edited by techAd; 03-27-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Stock exhaust:

No muffler, stock pipe:

Last edited by techAd; 03-27-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Okay, I gutted the exhaust and cut it in half. It is a true fart can but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought. Videos of the sound should be up tomorrow but it is LOUD!!! (I kinda like it and it definitely affects the way I ride) I think it looks much better than stock actually. Thoughts?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that looks sweet for $0 yo can't beat it.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM

I think it looks cool. I'm gonna do it! how many inches did u cut off?
please post the sound.
Do you like it better than the slip on you bought on ebay?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM

Sorry I couldn't rev to loud, the wife was at work and I had the boys in the garage with me. They are great helpers but do NOT like it when I start the bike in the garage. If it was just an ebay slip-on I would suppose I would like this better but it is a 2 Brothers flange on and I sound is definitely deeper and sounds better. I will get the sound up when I get a chance. I will also reshoot the stock shorty for a better comparison before I put the 2bros back on. I cut 8.5" off and if you are going to do it I would suggest a band saw or a sawsall with a fine blade and a steady hand. Also I used a rubberband wrapped around the can for a guide.

Last edited by techAd; 04-09-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by techAd
I am a strong believer in "Loud pipes save lives" and the stock exhaust is anything but loud.
realistically the only place where you can hear a "loud pipe" to the point of getting someones attention is behind the bike, which is pretty useless. that saying is overrated.

on a sidenote, the pipe looks cool though

Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by theskater101388
realistically the only place where you can hear a "loud pipe" to the point of getting someones attention is behind the bike, which is pretty useless. that saying is overrated.

on a sidenote, the pipe looks cool though
LOL, you haven't heard this thing in person. On that same note, I believe the real benefit of a loud pipe is for those next to you. Those people that start to change lanes first then look on their way over. I think it gives you just one more way to be noticed by inattentive drivers and in my book that's a win.

Last edited by techAd; 04-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.