Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Retired Mod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wheelie prob.

ORIGINAL: j61929

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

I thot bout that but I shouldnt have to. you know what I mean? I just really hope that there isnt anything wrong with it. I also wanna know if its like this with everyone else with a stock 929? Ofcourse, 1st gear is no problem but Im stumped on 2nd. But maybe l will just go ahead and get the gearing. Thanx for the response tho. Take it easy brother....
the problem isn't with the bike. the problem is that you're trying to do 2nd gear wheelies at 45 mph. way too low in the rpm's. the gearing change will cure this but if you want to wheelie 2nd gear at slow speeds with stock gearing you have to be willing to clutch it up. or do a throttle chop/bounce then wide open.

Thats the thing tho. All I do is clutch it. I d rather clutch it than bounce it. I ve never bounced any of all the wheelies I ve ever done. Specially on my 636! But it feels like my second gear is very tall. Im assuming that you are saying it is possible for this bike to be clutched up in such a low RPM. What speeds or RPM do you attempt yours on? Cuz if you are doing them almost at the same time and way I do mine, then maybe it is my technique or just minor adjustments need to be made to my clutch lever ( comfortable height and position ).
usually in second, i do stand ups because of the higher speeds and ability to ride it out longer. so when i stand up, im pulling on the bars. also i have a -1/+2 gearing change. i used to do sit downs at the speeds that you wanted but it took a decent clutch drop and a tug on the bars. at 45 mph though you should really try and bring it up in first and shift to second while its up. its tricky but it can be done. i suggest the gearing change. zero problems at any rpm after that. and i really dont think it has anything to do with your bike, clutch, or lever. and your 636 is geared quite a bit lower than the 929.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 AM

First of all stand up and just bounce it a lil and that thing well come right up. It comes up alot easier standing up. You probably don't even have to bounce it.
Fox

Old 01-23-2006, 09:20 PM

Yeah I think Im gonna go ahead and do the gearing. But nothing too drastic. You mentioned yours was at -1/+2, how much top-end did you loose? and is the added torque very noticeable? I mean ofcourse I want more torque but nothing like a 52t rear sprock. Dont want anything squirly. Not really into shifting during the process either but thanx for the suggestion. What would be the ideal upgrade regarding sprock. size? Thank you everybody.....

Old 01-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Retired Mod

Yeah I think Im gonna go ahead and do the gearing. But nothing too drastic. You mentioned yours was at -1/+2, how much top-end did you loose? and is the added torque very noticeable? I mean ofcourse I want more torque but nothing like a 52t rear sprock. Dont want anything squirly. Not really into shifting during the process either but thanx for the suggestion. What would be the ideal upgrade regarding sprock. size? Thank you everybody.....
first off, the gearing change will not create more torque from the motor. it just allows the engine to rev quicker and will raise your rpm's at lower speeds. a 520 conversion will get rid of some weight in the drivetrain and will also allow it to rev quicker. i would start with a -1 in the front and leave the rear sprocket stock to see if you like it. you can do this without a full conversion to a different chain and not spend alot of money. as far as top end, im not the type to ride around all day at 150+ so i don't notice the loss. i can still double any speed limit and that's enough for me.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
jim
Default Wheelie

Hi, I wish I had the ability or option to attempt either a sit down or a stand up wheelie's on my current bike but my mates have tried the following to get their front wheels higher for longer.

Lighter Wheels
Shortened the swing arm
Put a bigger sprocket on the back
Improved throttle response (balanced carbs/power commander)

Although my mates invested the money wisely upon the machine I have found that when the missus is on the back of my bike the front wheel pops up when accelerating hard.
So the cheap option is to get yourself a pillion and a female one is preferable and one that can ride a bike back from the pub is even more advantageous.
An old freind has a 929 and I remember he could pull wicked wheelies in 1st but as soon as it got to 2nd the front wheel just came down, if I remeber correctly he had the clutch plates changed upon the suggestion a track day organiser dude.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Default RE: Wheelie

Well on a 929 you should be able to pull up 2nd on it bone stock at 45mph no problem. Forget gearing and all that crap, theres something else wrong...If I can clutch up my F4i at 50ish you should be able to do the same on your 929. keep practicing get stock on lock before you gear it and all that.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: AzNBoI_585SF

Well on a 929 you should be able to pull up 2nd on it bone stock at 45mph no problem. Forget gearing and all that crap, theres something else wrong...If I can clutch up my F4i at 50ish you should be able to do the same on your 929. keep practicing get stock on lock before you gear it and all that.
I know what you're saying. I wondered about the same thing cuz like I said I have an 03'636 and I can bring it up anywhere from 40-65mph, sitdowns or standups in 2nd and 70-75mph in 3rd. Im gonna go ahead and get it checked out then. I thot the same thing about being able to pull it up bone stock being a 900 and all. I just hope there isnt anything really wrong with it.....Anyways, thank you everybody for the replies and info, you all have been very helpful and I will return the favor to the best of my ability, sorry guys, no reach arounds or anything of that sort..... be easy.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Well down here anyway a baseline dyno run is $30 and it will show a slipping clutch as well as wether you are leaning out or too rich in the rpms you are using,one way to kill several things at once and like I said a baseline is just a couple runs checking it all over and will give you specifics you won't get elsewhere.Example I had a bike ran great verified no clutch slip but was down on power,exaxtly 25% down from last years run,well 4 carbs 25% sure enough one carb had a torn diaphram and I was pointed there by a $30 dyno run. HTH

Old 01-26-2006, 04:33 PM

then getting dynoed it is....