CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

wheelie prob.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelie prob.

Hello everyone. My problem is: when I try to do a 2nd gear sitdown wheelie, speed at 45-50mph, it comes up a foot. Ive tried giving it more throttle, or even holding the clutch in longer. I also have a 03,636 in which I can do sitdowns and standups all day long. Even my friends say that they have a hard time popping it up in 2nd. The only time I can bring it up succesfully is when Im going 60-65mph, in which is too fast for me. I really hope there isnt anything wrong with the bike, or could there be? help..

Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Default RE: wheelie prob.

go 1 down in the front sprocket

Old 01-21-2006, 02:05 AM

I thot bout that but I shouldnt have to. you know what I mean? I just really hope that there isnt anything wrong with it. I also wanna know if its like this with everyone else with a stock 929? Ofcourse, 1st gear is no problem but Im stumped on 2nd. But maybe l will just go ahead and get the gearing. Thanx for the response tho. Take it easy brother....

Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 AM

are u giving it a lil bounce when ur tryin to get it up in second cause really u should have no prob gettin a 929 up in second with stock gearing without using clutch , or try pushin ur weight back in ur seat when it is comin up .

Old 01-21-2006, 03:41 AM

How is your clutch? Sounds like it might be slipping a bit,maybe not enough to notice except when doing these 2nd gear wheelies.While mine was stock the first 2 months I had to learn to keep it from pulling the front all the time.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:01 PM

I dont know,it might be my clutching techinique. because I can do a 2nd gear standup just fine, but when it comes to sitdowns nothing....I really appreciate all the replies and responses w/o the criticism guys, this forum is the bomb. Anyway, yeah I do scoot back when I prepare for my sitdowns. The second gear just seem so tall before I actually feel the powerband. Maybe I should have it dynoed. Whatever......Thanx guys for the support.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 AM

This'll sound funny, but newbe's like me APPRECIATE the fact that it takes off like hell RATHER than wheelie !! I've made a few mistakes, and this bike has forgiven me every time.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM

i am a real noob. ijust prchased my first bike a few month ago.(late aug.) first time ever on a cycle. but now i can do a throttle wheeleie in first gear but i am to scared to ride it out. but what i really wnated to if i should practice cluthing in 1st,2nd, or third gear.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: j61929

I thot bout that but I shouldnt have to. you know what I mean? I just really hope that there isnt anything wrong with it. I also wanna know if its like this with everyone else with a stock 929? Ofcourse, 1st gear is no problem but Im stumped on 2nd. But maybe l will just go ahead and get the gearing. Thanx for the response tho. Take it easy brother....
the problem isn't with the bike. the problem is that you're trying to do 2nd gear wheelies at 45 mph. way too low in the rpm's. the gearing change will cure this but if you want to wheelie 2nd gear at slow speeds with stock gearing you have to be willing to clutch it up. or do a throttle chop/bounce then wide open.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

ORIGINAL: j61929

the problem isn't with the bike. the problem is that you're trying to do 2nd gear wheelies at 45 mph. way too low in the rpm's. the gearing change will cure this but if you want to wheelie 2nd gear at slow speeds with stock gearing you have to be willing to clutch it up. or do a throttle chop/bounce then wide open.

Thats the thing tho. All I do is clutch it. I d rather clutch it than bounce it. I ve never bounced any of all the wheelies I ve ever done. Specially on my 636! But it feels like my second gear is very tall. Im assuming that you are saying it is possible for this bike to be clutched up in such a low RPM. What speeds or RPM do you attempt yours on? Cuz if you are doing them almost at the same time and way I do mine, then maybe it is my technique or just minor adjustments need to be made to my clutch lever ( comfortable height and position ).

Quick Reply: wheelie prob.