CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Warning LIGHT & FI issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warning LIGHT & FI issues

I know better than to just come on here and say my malfunction light is on so let me be more specific. It is blinking, but the sequence is confusing and the shop manual isnt very clear. It blinks 3x slow and then 5x fast. Should i just add the two together for a number 8 error code, or does that mean there are two different codes? On a related note, after my fuel pump primes like normal, i hear this ticking noise and cant figure out what the heck it is, it sounds like the pump is dying and would make sense beacuse im losing throttle response but i cant seem to figure it out... Any help would be great. oh ya please dont tell me that im an uneducated moron and that it should be obvious, because I do this for fun, I'm not a mechanic. Thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM

could be the fuel pump, pull it out and test it or pressure check.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Per the manual if it blinks for 1.3sec duration (long blinks) those are multiple of ten. Your bike is crying 35 which is:

"Faulty EGCV and air intake valve servo motor"

It points to page 5-54 of the manual for troubleshooting of the exhaust valve servo crap. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 PM

read the HTEV sticky at the top of the page.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM

i have narrowed it down to the servo motor, but when I was in the Honda shop yesterday, the guys told to just bypass that sensor by cutting some wires. This sounds kinda shady cause neither one of them knew exactly which ones to cut or whatever. Anyone ever done this wire cutting thing, also if I cut the wires wont my malfunction light stay on all the time? I'm just getting crappy throttle response in low RPM's and I can't sell the bike with the warning lights on AHHHHHH! Any ideas. I read the sticky on the servo and dont have access to the tools to weld the butterfly open, not to mention I could not decipher whether or not they were referring to taking the cables off the motor or what. I'm not a mechanic so this kinda confusing to a noob...

Last edited by nashvegas929rr; 02-03-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Is the servo bad or is the exhaust valve clogged and stuck? If it's stuck the servo can't move it and sets off a code. Try unhooking the cables and see how easy it is to move the valve.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by vwmaniacvr6
Is the servo bad or is the exhaust valve clogged and stuck? If it's stuck the servo can't move it and sets off a code. Try unhooking the cables and see how easy it is to move the valve.
x2

don't go cutting wires blindly, check the flapper and HTEV movements before anything else, make sure the servo works. download the service manual in the sticky here and follow the testing procedures. you'll need to jump a connection under your seat (or in the trunk, i forget) makes checking servo movement pretty easy, really.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM

well it is the servo...but can you replace the stripped gears internally or should i just replace?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 AM

I've never heard of a rebuild kit for the servo, but then again, i never looked.

Don't forget to ask the question: why did the servo gears strip? make sure the rest of the system is moving freely before you toast a new servo.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM

is it worth taking the risk on ebay or should i just suck it up and dish out for a new one...ive heard both ending well and both putting the person back where they started

Quick Reply: Warning LIGHT & FI issues