Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trunk issues

any info for that install??

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Sorry guys that its taken so long, I have been sick and trying to move at the same time. Ill have this thing done tomarrow for those that are interested.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm interested...

Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Hery all,this is from my thread on fireblades.org ..check it out [/align][/align][/align]Ok,so heres a small walk through...(forgive my english..im greek )

Things needed are
1) Car power door actuator (may work with actuators for car trunks) cost 10-20$ on ebay.
2) Some wire from a bicycle shop with its tubing (the ones used for the brakes on bicycles) cost 1-2$
3) A small push button cost from 1$+

Ok,first thing,you need to fit the actuator.I found the best place to be in the bottom end of the trunk,where the tools were supposed to go.You must brake alitle of the plastic that is there to hold the toolkit.And just screw the actuator down with 2 lonk screws,i used also some silicone to just make more sturdy (it was tight already)
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/P2290112.jpg

Next thing you must connect one end of the cable with the lock,i just tightened it arround and used some good electrical tape to tie it arround.try it with your hand to see if its good and strong \
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/P2290111.jpg
at that point,you fit the tubing on the cable,i used that so i dont have a drag when pulling on plastics etc.
After that,we must route the cable with the tubing as it shows in the photo
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/P2290109.jpg
it actualy gow in the inside of the plastic cowl,i just threw it in,and when it get in the other and,i used a mgnet to grab it out,really easy.
new photo http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...trunkcable.jpg

Next thing is to connect it the cable to the actuator,just see how i route it the photo and do it like that,realy easy,just make it tight,if it has a lot of slack,obviously the actuator wont be able to pull it.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/P2290112.jpg

At that point you can try it by just conectin the actuator leads on the batery instantly,it should easily and instantly pull the cable and pop the trunk.

The only thing left is to wire the elctrical stuff...easy thing!
My wiring will be connected that way,so that it only works when you have your key on the on possition (if you dont want it that way...its even easier)
Wire the negative lead directly from the actuator to the - battery poll.
Get a piece of cable,open the fuses cap,take the first fuse out (20amp lights) stick the wire in (touching the metal sides) and the push in the fuse so that it locks it nice and tigh.
Now just get your push button,(it should have 2 connectors) and just connect the possitive cable directly from the actuator to the one side,and the cable from the fuse box to the other side.Turn your key on,push the button (dont forget your cell phone on the seat..trust me) is should pop right off.
Basic wiring scheme to get the idea
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...gr/WIRRING.jpg

Thats it....holpe that was readable.....!! i also uploaded another video on youtube that shows the actuator in use and its better quality,check it out.
YouTube - 929 lectronic trunk 2[/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 AM
RCR

my keys have not bent but nice idea. I plan on putting a garage door opener switch on the bike and will probably add a trunkpopper while im at it.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Ok sorry it took so long. This was not suppsed to be a how to, but i will do the best i can with it being my first and all.

Things you will need are

1 power trunk release (Ebay $9.00+shipping)
1 small pully wheel (Radio Shack $1.00) i used one from and old printer the ink rollers work great.
1 momentary switch(Radio Shack $1-$2)

First you will need to tear down the entire tail section, seats, plastic and tail light, just for ease of installation.
when you get the trunk pop take everything out of the box, you will only use the pop, the cable sleeve, the mount and the wire and hardware. the pushbutton and the mount for it you can toss, in my opion its just way to big

At the bridge mount for the passenger seat take the mount for the trunk pop and mark the hole positions, if you get it centered it will fall into the groves on the inside of the mount. (second pic)

Mount as seen in pics, then you will need your small pully gear, this will require drilling a small hole in the bottom of the sub fram at the rear, i measured in 2 inches from the rear but you just want it to be paralle to the key release.

next connect thesupplied clip to the key release pin. you will also notice that the trunk poper came with a cable adjuster( screw and nut looking thing in picture)

Next mount the momnetary switch, I mounted mine on the underside of the battery box .

Now for the electrical part of it.

The poper comes with two connections. One is ground and the other is power supplied by the momentary switch. I used the liscence plate wire so that it is only powered when the key is in the on position. If you need to know what wire it is, just ask and i will get it for you. Tap the appropiet wire and rout it along the factory harness.

Then you will need to connect it to one side of the momentary switch. the other pole of the momentary switch is the output side and that will go to the trunk pop. The second connection on the trunk pop goes straight to ground.

Turn on switch and push the button. You should hear a kinda "thunk" sound. that would be the accuator working. see accuator instructions on how to adjust cables.

This is a very ruff "how to" and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I will help in anyway that i can.