CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   too hot or not too hot (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/too-hot-not-too-hot-134295/)

stealthCBR929 02-09-2012 09:34 PM

too hot or not too hot

sup guys how goes it! well my bike is driving me nuts in traffic heres the deal . mile 14 in to my 22 mile ride home from work light to light traffic ect.. my bike at a light gets to 224 then goes back down to 222 and stays at 222 intill i start riding its about 75 ish 78 outside i live in hb soo along the beach it runs cooler but inland its cooking my legs lol it seems after a long stright away its running 180ish then when i get to a light the temp climbs quick bike has never over heated . now if i let it run in my drive way and its cooler out where i live it will get up to 223 ish and the fan will bring it back down to 216 . anyway bottom line is light to light riding is cooking my legs my bro demons bike runs 10 cooler then my bike in city warm weather how ever he has full exhaust and power comander . my bike i took the cat out and just running a shorty bolt on pipe other wise thats it. :icon_woot::icon_special::icon_that::icon_blah::ic on_werd::icon_sultan::icon_patriot::icon_banana::i con_captain::icon_flamethrow:

backdoc 02-09-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929 (Post 1130458)
sup guys how goes it! well my bike is driving me nuts in traffic heres the deal . mile 14 in to my 22 mile ride home from work light to light traffic ect.. my bike at a light gets to 224 then goes back down to 222 and stays at 222 intill i start riding its about 75 ish 78 outside i live in hb soo along the beach it runs cooler but inland its cooking my legs lol it seems after a long stright away its running 180ish then when i get to a light the temp climbs quick bike has never over heated . now if i let it run in my drive way and its cooler out where i live it will get up to 223 ish and the fan will bring it back down to 216 . anyway bottom line is light to light riding is cooking my legs my bro demons bike runs 10 cooler then my bike in city warm weather how ever he has full exhaust and power comander . my bike i took the cat out and just running a shorty bolt on pipe other wise thats it. :icon_woot::icon_special::icon_that::icon_blah::ic on_werd::icon_sultan::icon_patriot::icon_banana::i con_captain::icon_flamethrow:

Have you changed the coolant? Also inspect your water pump and look for any coolant around the weep hole on the bottom of the pump near the motor. Any signs of coolant around the weep hole means the internal seal of the pump is going bad. I have never seen my 954 get any hotter than 218 even sitting in traffic on a hot summer day.

Do you mean you removed the HTEV when you say you removed the cat? If so with a stock exhaust your bike runs better with a functioning HTEV. Also what brand of oil and weight are you running in your bike?

stealthCBR929 02-09-2012 10:28 PM

sup back doc i swaped over to engine ice yes im running the htev the cat in the exhaust where the o2 is its a california bike and im running a shorty im running honda gn4 oil 10w30 oem oil you bike runs cooler because of your fuel trims pc mapping ect... my bike is stock aside for the bolt on shorty actually i made it into a shorty. im going to pull the bike apart this weekend and check everything out i was just wondering what other 929s are running in traffic ect..

Kuroshio 02-09-2012 10:34 PM

Honestly sounds normal to me. Don't have a 929 but my f4i runs like that.

And my s1000rr was hitting 216ish on Tues... and the outside temp was round 50.

stealthCBR929 02-09-2012 11:43 PM

well i just found alittle corrosion around the weep hole of the water pump soo that explanes the heating issue lol im going to put a new tstat and water pump on her

WallyAZ46 02-12-2012 11:13 PM

Stealth, FYI I have had my 929 for 10 years. It will heat up to 222 in stop and go. Fan will kick on and keep it around 220. Once moving and getting some air in radiator it drops. But normal moving around town is 180. As long as red light on dash doesn't start blinking you are prob ok, just get her moving and get some air

stealthCBR929 02-13-2012 09:22 PM

sup wally yeah i pulled the whole coolant system apart flushed the block out water pump and radiator and i removed the stupid smog canister . i put some fresh engine ice in and it seems to be alot better last time i put engine ice in i dident get all of the green crap out so now its pure plus i flushed it with distilled water too the bike has never over heated its only been to 225 the went to 223 in 90 heat dead traffic ect.. and that was before i did the engine ice

Acespad3 02-14-2012 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929 (Post 1130479)
well i just found alittle corrosion around the weep hole of the water pump soo that explanes the heating issue lol im going to put a new tstat and water pump on her

let us know for sure how she runs when you get the new parts in.. im curious to see if that nails it

stealthCBR929 02-15-2012 01:12 AM

sup acespad soo far since the complete flush pulled system apart it seems to be alot better considering i got all the old green coolant out . its noo good to mix green coolant with engine ice or tap water for that matter i used 5 gallons of distilled water to flush the system out then made sure all the water is out then added the engine ice she cools alot better

Trey929RR 02-15-2012 10:10 AM

Ask 1_sick, he can help you out, it may be a fan issue. :icon_smile: