CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Throttle cables in grip? need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cables in grip? need help!

I was riding down the highway yesterday and as I gave the throttle a quick chop I believe something happend with the cables inside the grip. I can twist the throttle freely now and no gas is given to the bike.

I pulled out the tank and the airbox and checked the cables there, but they seemed fine. When I turn the throttle one of the cables on the throttle body loosens but doesn't move the valve.

How do I go about taking the cables off of the grip to replace them or to check them out and see if I can fix them? Is there a way to remove the handlebar? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Default RE: Throttle cables in grip? need help!

you can remove the handlebar... take ur triple tree off, which i think is three bolts, and then ur handle bar is one bolt under the triple tree

Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Holy ****. You dont have to remove the clip on. Under neath the kill switch housing is 2 screws. Take those out and you can lift the top 1/2 off and see where the cables attach. It's that easy, dont make it harder than it needs to be. Then to remove you obviously take the cables off the throttle tube and unscrew them from the bottom of the housing (also held in with philips head screws) and then fish them out of the bike and replace. It may have just jumped off.
Give it a look.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick response.I just checked it out and it turns out that the cable broke about a half inch from the metal piece at the end. Looks like I'll have to replace the cables.

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 PM

this isnt realy relevent (by the way im glad you figured out what was wrong)

i was riding through the mountain at like 2am (had to get to a wedding) and my throttle cable snapped,and i was stuck ont eh side of the road and a farmer drove by and i got a set of vice grips from and i clipped the vice grips on the little bit of cable i could grb and rode fro about 3 hour pulling on the vice grips for throttle

Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 AM

I wasn't sure where the cable had snapped and i wasnt too sure about how to take apart the part I needed to check on the handlebar, so I rode the bike home (only about 10 mins away thank god) by easing the clutch out in 1st, 2nd and then finally 3rd. I maxed out at about 27km/hour (about 17 miles an hour). If i would have known then that the snap was up there I would have tried to rig something like that too just for fun!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:15 PM

I with you gixereater, and the holy ****. Glass how long have you been riding, since yesterday morning? In the mean time get your nose out of yor owners manual and refer to a service manual. This should save you any future embaressment. oh yeah, can someone bump me up a member rating? I've been on for two days now.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM

Ahhh I think you should take off the rear wheel to fix it J/K hehehe....

Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1987 vfr700 that the throttle cable snapped right inside the control itself (the little hamer head piece with about a half inch of cable on it)

I took the contol apart and used some wire and some JB weld to mend it back together.

it worked up until I sold the bike like 6 months later.

don't try this at home though....... lol

Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 AM

It's ok dude I am not embarassed in the least but you should be for your smart *** comments.
I didn't have access to the shop manual at the time, and even if I did there is nothing wrong with asking a question. If you'd like to come up here I know a great track to use figure out who has been riding for only 2 days, ok sweety?

Quick Reply: Throttle cables in grip? need help!