CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

tankslapper ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tankslapper ?

Hey all, not sure if i got tankslapped or what. I was taking a turn and hit a hard bumb, it forced my weight forward then i leaned right back but the back tire let loose mid turn... I got squirrely and by instinct opened the throttle more, and i made it through. It was like i fish tailed the bike mid turn but letting myself crash never crossed my mind... but it really was a reality check. I've never had the back let go like that.

Anyways is giving it more throttle when the back tire lets loose correct ? Just because i didn't crash doesn't mean i did the right thing, so any advice would get appreciated. I don't have a damper either, is this a situaton where it would have been useful or not ?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: tankslapper ?

A damper would helped. I'm not sure if you actually experience a tank slapper but you definately upset the frame of the bike. A tank slapper is when the bike vibrates uncontrollably between your legs and has a tendency to buck the rider off the bike. The 929's and 954's are known for tank slappers so save up and get a damper.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Ok.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM

I would like to add to triax's comment on what a tank slapper is. Not sure if the word vibrate is the best analogy (not flamin ya triax, ok?).

A tank slapper can happen from one of the following reassons:
1. you hit a bump
2. 929's without a damper are notorious for being front end light
3. gearing the bike down increases the tendency of #2 while doing #4 and #5.
4. Setting a wheelie down at speed
5. doing endos
6. forearm's muscle memory fails due to 1-4.

The outcome of 1-6 forces the bike's front end to begin wobbling side-to-side to the point where #6 cannot be corrected, resulting in your bike to do what triax said. Now, should you experience 1-6, you can bet you might do a real #2 in your pants. hahaha.

Get a damper, wrench it down to have noticable resistence [and increasing the resistence of the damper while attempting 3-5].

Bottom line, they work for this bike.

I would suspect you were on the verge of a highside, and in that situation, the damper would only help prevent over correction of the tire washing on you. I'm not quite sure what you did was the "best", but it certainly is alot better than you hitting the front break, trying to stand the bike up during the turn. By the sounds of things, I would check your suspension settings so they match up to your weight, riding style, etc... You may find that the compression or rebound settings of the rear are what might have cause your chassis to become upset through the apex of the turn you were. Sport Rider has an excellent baseline settings chart that you can use to start adjusting your chassis to compensate.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM

Fuze, I think your instincts were good. If you break traction on the rear tire you want to keep at least a "neutral" throttle, meaning where it was at when the traction broke, or just a touch more throttle. The worst thing you can do is just whack the throttle off in those situations.

Thoughit doesn't sound like a tankslapperI agree929's need a damper, its just a matter of time if you ride fast in the bumpy stuff!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: ApexClipper
The worst thing you can do is just whack the throttle off in those situations.
Unless your Wayne Rainey and can roll the smoke of the back tire going through the turns. LOL.

Man that guy was amazing on the track.

ok, sorry for thread jack, back to regular programming. hehehe.