CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Speedo Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Question

I have a 2001 929rr
and I noticed today that my gauge cluster is all working but the speedo is not!!!
where should I start to look , to fix this issue..

Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id start with the harness plugged into the guage cluster make sure it is firmly attached and that there is no water or junk like that in it.

and did it just start? have you had the bike for a while and its a new issue or is it a new to you bike with this issue?

after id chesk the harness, i would check the magnetic pick up sensor that sends the reading to the guage cluster, now i dont know how to do that but that is what sends the information to the cluster unlike tha old cable/gear driven ones.

oh yeah vote for me for ride of the month befor feb 10
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-month-39/january-2009-rotm-voting-86085/

selfless promotion i know

Last edited by bignibb; 02-06-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: extra
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 PM

bike is pretty new to me, I am not sure to be honest, I didnt notice it when I picked it up and this is the first time I have had it out since I bought it. I pulled the fairings tonight, A) so I could polish it up good B) so I could check the sensor wires going into the top of the tranny. wires do not look corroded and seem to be attached properly. I havent got the gauge cluster pulled yet but that will be tomorrows project..

I do need to replace the battery in it, it seems to need to go on the charger about every other day could that have anything to do with the speedo ? It is not holding a charge for ****!!

the only other issue I noticed is that I seem to be getting a bit of an oil drip ??? up high ???(lack of a technical term, but it is at the rubber gaskets below the air cleaner where it hooks up to what would be the carbs it it werent fuel infected) which causes a slight amount of smoke to come out of the right side, but running wise it seems to be very strong and smooth, just seems to have a few of the used bike bugs to exterminate..

unfortunately for me I am not the ace bike mechanic so anything beyond common sense and generall mechanical knowledge is a lost cause for me.. so any input that will make life easier would be great...

Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know what you mean, im no mechanic either and i usually figure things out by first messing them up, since im not looking at my bike i cant visually picture where you say the leak is but as far as your battery affecting your guage cluster, that is a deffinate yes, i know when my stator died and my battery started to lose its juice after a few minutes of riding the speedo would stop working and then about 5-10 minutes the motorcycle would just cut itself off. so it could be a possibility.

another small one is that your guage cluster could be broke. if you know anyone with a 929 you can swap the guages out to see if they work and just put them back, and thats pretty easy to do.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM

on the battery, if I charge it and let it sit over night like I just did it holds the charge but as soon as I get on the road with it and shut it off it is dead, why you ask I just had to push start it at the gas station, so that would lead me to believe that the battery is probably okay and it needs a new stator, does that sound right?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM

I would say most likely on the stator. It's basically the same thing as an alternator on your car. If the battery holds a charge after charging it and then dies after a good while of riding then the battery is probably ok. If the battery is only lasting about an hour or so it's probably cooked as well. It's not good for the battery to constantly drain completely and then charge so try to avoid this if possible.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM

well got the charging issue solved (ended up being the wires for the undertail kit were jacked up)and still no speedo, gonna try and pull the speed sensor tonight and make sure its clean and connections are good.. any other ideas

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM

any luck w/ the speedo? i'm having the same issue where everything on the tach works, just no speedo or odometer

Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM

any updates on speedo issues?

Mine is definitely not working, and hasn't been working for the past 2 or 3 seasons. It's about time to fix it, do I need to replace the sensor or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM

i should mention both the speedo and odo don't work, not sure if they are pulled off the same sensor or not...

Quick Reply: Speedo Question