CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Shorty Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Pipe

Read a link on the classifies regarding shorty pipes. What do you guys think for a 929??? Would there be a problem taking off or using in conjunction with the HTEV???

The guy who posted "Don't Do it" said that the bike runs crappy without the HTEV. True???

I've got an Erion pipe and would like a little more sound out of it. Why??? Just because...

Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Shorty Pipe

just cut your erion pipe down if you want a shorty thats what i did with my micron

Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 PM

i have a blue flam pipe on my bike didnt like how quiet it was so i took a hack saw and cut it down about 7 inches. had to remove the fiberglass packing to get the sound i wanted. i have had no problems. runs just like it did with the full pipe. i think it looks way better too.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 PM

so i was thinkin about cuttin down my can... does that mean i will have to retune my power commander???

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i have a chm pipe and i cut it down and made it a shorty and i love it

Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 AM

I'd like to cut my pipe down, but I'm scerd to do it....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Can you guys post the procedures and things to look out for when cutting your pipe???

Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

I know I'm new to the 9's, but I love the deep purr of the factory exhaust.

I know, I know - aftermarket is the way to go - but honestly having never owned a liter bike, I just love the sound of the OEM pipe. Very deep, not raspy at all and I could actually cruise through a neighborhood at night and not have to put it in 5th gear just sos I don't wake anyone.

Side note, everytime I or someone refers to the, "9," I can't help but to think about Vanilla Ice... "Shay with the gauge and Vanilla with the nine!"

Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM

It's been awhile, but I didn't notice that much difference between the stock pipe vs the Erion. I still have the OEM, so maybe I'll give it a try, but I'm sure it won't stay on long. The OEM pipe is HUGE and just doesn't look as nice as any OEM.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM

My shorty Yoshimura pipe.

Dented the full length can in a crash last year, which is what prompted me to chop it, re-pack it, reweld the inner baffle, put it back togehter, and rivot the end back on. Took me about an hour in a pretty good metal shop to do the full job. The can went from 18" to 11", so took off 7".

It sounds great!

If you're at all worried about doing this, just simply shorten it less... say 14".

If you want proper tuning, yes, you will want to get your PCIII re mapped. My bike has no PCIII, but is on my list of things I want for the future. Without a dyno or putting in a track day, I doubt I could tell a difference in power from my longer can to this. The over all volume of the can did increase, but the tone is the same. I would also say that when idles it sounds a bit more raspy.

After doing this once, I would say that if I came across a reason to put another long can back on it, I'd have no moral qualms about chopping that one too. =P

- Pixel -

Quick Reply: Shorty Pipe