CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Rear Brake Mount Rubbing!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Mount Rubbing!!

Hey guys! I have a pretty serious problem, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

I recently noticed that my rear caliper mount is rubbing against my rear rotor and the bolts that hold it on. It wasn't bad at first, but yesterday after a lengthy ride I decided to listen and use the rear brake more. I could hear the grinding and popping it made as I used it more. Then, when I looked at it the problem had gotten a lot worse.

Any ideas?? I 'm almost positive that I have all of the correct washers/spacers in place for my rear wheel (according to manual). It does however look like my wheel could slide slightly over to the sprocket side. Something I'm going to check when I get a chance is that my rear pad can slide freely on the little "pin" because it might be pushing the whole braket towards the rotor if the pad isn't sliding freely (stuck). Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm also going to pull off the wheel ASAP to check the spacers.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
RCR
Default RE: Rear Brake Mount Rubbing!!

They might be on the wrong side and it shifted it just enough. Thats always my biggest fear and when I remove the rear tire all parts that come off the left side go to the left of the bike and so on for the right.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 AM

There are two spacers used on the rear axle. One looks like a regular bushing and it goes on the brake caliper side (right) it goes between the wheel and the caliper bracket.

The sprocket side (left) spacer looks like a top hat.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM

I found the problem!! Even though it wasn't a great thing!!

When I removed my wheels for powdercoating, I notice that the collar that slides inside the wheel to guide the axel was missing. However,I didn't think it wasa big deal since it didn't cause problems so far. So when I put the bike together, I didn't order and install this part as I didn't think that it would be neccesary. Well, I guess it was!!

Well, as a result of this (I'm thinking), one of my new wheel bearings busted! The center part of it got pushed towards the inside of the wheel!! So, needless to say, I ordered all of the required parts now and I should have it back on the road in about a week. Sucks when you have to go through something that cost you money to learn a lesson!! ALWAYS make sure you have all of the parts!! [&:]

Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Good luck with the bearing...

Getting the collar of the damaged one out will be a test of patience... and getting the new one in an equal pain. Would be worth taking the old collar and filing the outer diameter down some, and use it as a brace to get the new one in. Remember not to force the bearing in by the center part... only the outside.

- Pixel -

Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM

There wasn't a collar in the center of the wheel. And this is what caused thecenter of the bearing to fail (I think). Does this make sense?? Does the collar encircle the inside edge of the bearing?? If so, this will definitely help.

Also, The bearings were installed by a friend last time as I don't have a press, but I did watch how he did it and he was very careful not to press on the center. This time they are going to be installed at the dealership.

Thanks for the replies!!! All information helps!!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM

There IS a I guess you could say loose tube that goes in between the bearings inside the rim... lemme see if I can find the link.

Ok, called a distance collar.

You can download the service manual for your bike here:
http://respect.netsons.org/929_Shop_Manual.zip

Here's a pic of the assembly.

Hope this helps ya.

- Pixel -

Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: BigMike0147

...this is what caused thecenter of the bearing to fail (I think). Does this make sense??
It is exactly what made the bearings fail. Picture the giant bolt that pinches the rear wheel in place on the swingarm. If you lined everything up without the wheel and missing collar in place you'd see how it pinches everything together to become tight without putting a sideways pre-load on the bearings. Without the collar the wheel bearings are transferring the 85ft.lbs. of force from the bolt/nut from the inner race to the outer race through the ***** and the wheel is functioning as the missing collar. Now your bearings are trying to put up with that side load while they hold the bike up and rotate. I'll make a MS Paint drawing, they are my favorite.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Name:  929axle.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  37.1 KB

That should make it easy to see how with out our red friend the bearings are unhappy.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I'm glad to see that you both see it the same way I did!! I just don't know how it held up before I got the bike! THAT'S why I thought that it would be alright. Well, I'm just waiting on parts now. It would be great if I could have it all back together by this weekend (even though I'm going out of town and might not be able to ride).

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Mount Rubbing!!