CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

please help me out guys..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me out guys..

Hi All, im new here because i just bought my first 929 2000 model, i would to say i like the bike but cant ride it at the moment, although i cant wait.

anyway my own fault but bought the bike as a none runner, i was hoping it would be a quick fix, silly me............

basically it suddenly stop said the previous owner who had no idea about bikes, it didnt stall make any noises just stopped as if the kill switch had been switched.

i removed the alarm as thats what i was hoping would be the problem as meta alarms can play up but no luck,
so thought i would change the battery but it was so badley deformed... it was hard to pull it out but got it out in the end it was very badly distorted so i thought right its been cooked,found the problem.... so new battery and new voltage regulator fitted but wrong again...............
what have i bought....
so the electrics all seem to work although headlight bulbs had gone the clocks power up the fuel pump primes as it should but the red light next to the neatral light flashes, i also niticed that the 2 pulleys laft hand side which control some mechanisum does not move i expected it to like a yamaha exup does,

Really stuffed guys any obvious paths for me to follow here ???
the engine turns over fast and fine but not the slightest sign of any firing,
any help would be really great, cant wait to ride it.

Kind regards Phill

Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM

How many red blinks do you get.. 3 short. 1 long.. that is throwing an error code. Hopefully 74Demon will chime in on this, he is on the up and up on 929's. Just post up how many long and short and someone will chime in.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

I've seen a few bikes that just wouldn't start due to the bank angle sensor. Not sure where the 929's would be but my F4i and 600rr had one up front above the headlight.
You might want to check it out.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is the bike stock?
Has it been wrecked?
how did you disconnect the alarm? it may have an ignition kill circuit that needs to be rerouted around the alarm. there is a diode in the ignition switch that the ignition signal needs to run through.

Other things to check...
Fuel pump primes but check for fuel and pressure. Crack the big nut that connects the fuel line to the fuel rail to see if gas sprays out.
Check to see if a coil sparks while cranking.
Check spark plugs
Check the injector signal with a test light for constant power and pulsing ground (while cranking)
Check ecm fuses and make sure the wiring isnt fried.
If it sat for a long time, the injectors may be plugged up, rare but possible.
Check the kickstand switch.

Start investigating and post back your findings. Good luck.

Last edited by 74demon; 04-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered Users

Hi Guys thanks for the help and suggestions so far, very much appreciated, no the bike is not a wrecked or right off etc all in good general condition ,
if i recall right i had the red light give out 1 long flash and 7 or 8 short flashes,

i shall remove the tank and check plugs for spark now and go from there.
fingers crossed now,
thanks again all i shall update the thread as i go forward so that if anyone else has this problem then they can see what route i took to fix it, he says in hope !!!!
Kind regards Phill

Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered Users

Hi Guys,
does anyone know that if there is a fault with the HISS system wether the engine would still turn over and the fuel pump prime, just trying to rule out the a HISS system as a fault, because as i said she turns over fine just not firing,

Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i cant say specifically what it disables. i just know its there, and there isnt a lot of info on it. why would there be? it's secret security, right? the only way to know what the symptoms are is if you've had trouble with it, and i have not. there are a few older threads on it you can search for if you want to know. but what i can tell you is that there is a diode on the back of the ignition switch that drops a signal voltage to the ecm, to around 9v. the ecm needs to see the drop in order to work, or it will think it is stolen and not let the bike run. most likely through killing spark and injector signal.

test your basics first and go from there.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered Users
Default update

Thank 74 demon, much appreciated,
i shall check that diode also tank and air box all off now so down to the dreaded fault finding , there is no spark at the plugs,
so off we go tracing now

Thanks again all much appreciated
Regards Phill

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Default PGM MIL-18 Blinks or 19 Blinks

Originally Posted by phillcbx
if i recall right i had the red light give out 1 long flash and 7 or 8 short flashes
Phill... go here.. https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr...e-49545/page2/

The very last thread has the 929 Service Manual. Go to page 5-40 (153 of 488 in adobe). This tells you about the error code (blinks). Long blinks=10, short blinks=1. You either have an 18 or 19 "code." there is no 17 code.

18 is the cam pulse generator and 19 is the ignition pulse generator. The manual gives you step-by-step troubleshooting.

Hope this helps, I am not electrical savy, but I can find stuff on the internet and this website.

Also, check all of the fuses. The 20A for PGM-FI or the 10A sub fuse for the starter/ignition. Maybe I am talking out of my ***, but check the fuses. You never know. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered Users

Hi Trey 929rr,
thanks very much for the help and advise sounds as if it was i need however i have tried the link you provided but comes up as error 404,
so any other options to get this info,
thanks again for your help
kind regards Phill

Quick Reply: please help me out guys..