CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Pick up knobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick up *****

alright guys... as you all know, i'm a huge fan of the 929rr, just look at almost every past post i've had and you'll see that. just one little thing that annoys me though. no where to mount pick up ***** for the rear stand. what to do...

has anybody thought of drilling into the swingarm? threading it and mounting them their? whats the general consensus on this? is it a big no no????? i'm thinking about doing it. i've got pick up ***** just sitting in my garage...

Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Default RE: Pick up *****

Well....actually ive read that is how it has to be done but not from what i would consider a credible source....so i have avoided doing it thus far.....

Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM

That's a good question. I have been so close to drilling and tapping holes in my swing arm for the same reason, but everyone I have talked to has told me that not only will the threads not hold and eventually strip out, but that the strenght of the swing arm will be significatly decreased.
I think that the only way to do it right would be to tack weld bolts below the swing arm. But let me know what you decide.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM

I would say that drilling would weaken the frame TECHNICALLY, but not significantly. Still, the bigger valid argument against drilling is the point about the threads eventually stripping. It is still aluminum after all.

I fabricated my own stand, but it's the type that cradles the frame, sort of reaches under it just forward of the axle, but those kind of stands don't inspire much confidence - they don't seem as steady as the ****-type you're talking about. The bike goes up on them a liitle odd, too, because for the 929 the verticle arms are of different lengths. Not a big problem, just not as steady.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 PM

i was thinking perhaps by using hypercoils or something similar to that. a type of insert. i've had to use these before when my exhaust manifold on my car was loose. hioles were stripped and nothing would, except for those.

as for strength of swingarm. do you guys really think it could be such a drastic difference. i mean, i dont really think i wcould ever notice it. and i doubt i would ever be at such extremes were the swingarm strength could be at its maximum. still not sure, just looking for more opinions i guess

Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 PM

I think we all have thought about it. but the safest way i THINK` would just upgrade the swing arm to a 954rr..i plan to as soon as i find a good one out there..

Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 AM

The easiest thing and safest and strongest would be to get a piece of aluminum rod, about 1/2" in diameter, cut it into two 1/2" pieces, drill them out to 8mm and thread them. Now you have two "bungs" that can be tig-welded to the bottom of the swingarm and will look like they belong there if you get a good welder to do the job for you. I have seen this in person so I know it is possible and looks exactly the same as all the other new bikes out there with the bungs welded on from the factory.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 PM

I was told if you put the 954 swing arm on you loose an inch of seat height, I'm not really willing to sacrifice the way my bike handles so it can sit on a stand made for spools.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM

Why not just buy a spooless rear stand? That seems like the most obvious answer to your question. The stands cost the same and you wont ruin your swing arm. The spools wont do anything for performance so why bother?

Old 09-19-2006, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

Why not just buy a spooless rear stand? That seems like the most obvious answer to your question. The stands cost the same and you wont ruin your swing arm. The spools wont do anything for performance so why bother?
check and mate

Quick Reply: Pick up knobs