CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

No Slack in Chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Slack in Chain

Took the 929 out for about an hour last night. Mostly highway so I did accelerate quickly and hit some high speeds FYI, anyways I get back home and as I was centering the bike in the parking space I heard a pop like sound. So I started walking it and it kept making that sound every three feet or so. Seeing how it only did this while I was walking it I checked the chain only to find that there was ZERO slack. She was tight. I know for a fact that when I lubed the chain about 2-3 weeks ago it had its 1 1/2"-2" of play. I've had to tighten chains b4 never loosen. Didn't get to dive into it because it was late but does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing that before I tear into it after work today?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM

After installing the new chain set up did you allow the suspension to settle and then re-adjust? Sounds like you should be good if you adjust now after the settlement......

Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure your axle bolt is tight.
If it was a little loose maybe the wheel slipped ack a bit in the hard accelerating

Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 AM

+1 to jeffjones,

Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 AM

could be a tight spot in the chain, i had this same prob with mine about 10k ago, mind you the chain was a good 30k old then, so it was time to replace the chain anyway and was all good after that.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by micko_bladz
could be a tight spot in the chain, i had this same prob with mine about 10k ago, mind you the chain was a good 30k old then, so it was time to replace the chain anyway and was all good after that.
+1
Must have had a brain fart, Mine has a tight spot right now and when I out it on the stands one part of the chain has hardly any slack while if I turn the wheel a bit then the chain will touch the swingarm.

Except mine doesn't make a popping noise when walking it.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Been sick the last couple days so I just finally got around to adjusting the chain. After getting my 1 1/2" of slack I was surprised to find that the chain indicator is saying the chain is shot. I did however lose the popping sound.

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
After installing the new chain set up did you allow the suspension to settle and then re-adjust? Sounds like you should be good if you adjust now after the settlement......
Other than lube and measure the slack I have not done a thing with the chain since I bought it. I purchased the bike just after new years and have only been able to put 150 miles or so on her(this spring has not been too friendly to bike riders up here). She has just over 10,000k so maybe the chain is original?

jeffjones- "Check to make sure your axle bolt is tight.
If it was a little loose maybe the wheel slipped ack a bit in the hard accelerating"

That was my first thought but when I went to loosen it I ended up having to use my breaker bar and had to hold onto the bike with my other hand to keep it from falling over. She was on there GOOD lol

micko_bladz- "could be a tight spot in the chain, i had this same prob with mine about 10k ago, mind you the chain was a good 30k old then, so it was time to replace the chain anyway and was all good after that."

From the sounds of it I might need a new chain anyways but I will have to check

Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Check to make sure your axle bolt is tight.
If it was a little loose maybe the wheel slipped ack a bit in the hard accelerating
Jeff,
I hope you don't mind me saying this buts that the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.
If the axle wasn't tight the last thing the wheel would do would be pushed backwards. If your axle came loose, or..... lets pretend it wasn't there at all....
The wheel would be eating your battery box and after that your ***!
Hard braking on the other hand would pull the wheel away from the engine and give you a tighter chain. Bloody unlikely though.

This is a tight spot in the chain Daniels or you really did tighten it up a little too much before letting the bike get down on the suspension to settle in.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Default tight spot in chain

Originally Posted by daniels
Took the 929 out for about an hour last night. Mostly highway so I did accelerate quickly and hit some high speeds FYI, anyways I get back home and as I was centering the bike in the parking space I heard a pop like sound. So I started walking it and it kept making that sound every three feet or so. Seeing how it only did this while I was walking it I checked the chain only to find that there was ZERO slack. She was tight. I know for a fact that when I lubed the chain about 2-3 weeks ago it had its 1 1/2"-2" of play. I've had to tighten chains b4 never loosen. Didn't get to dive into it because it was late but does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing that before I tear into it after work today?
It sounds like you have a tight spot in your chain, which means it's probably junk. I would suggest rolling it 3 feet forward and rechecking you slack. If you do have a tight spot the chain will be a little looser now. If your chain is bad hit up this website, great prices on everything Honda- www.westernhonda.com Good luck.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
This is a tight spot in the chain Daniels or you really did tighten it up a little too much before letting the bike get down on the suspension to settle in.

Like I stated above I purchased the bike in the middle of winter and have just only now in between the rainy cold days been able to really take her out. I haven't touched or adjusted the suspension but the the previous owner did have the bike lowered. I have no idea how long before I bought it that he had that done tho. If that is the real problem and the suspension just had to settle in and the chain was too tight is it okay now to just replace the chain and not have the same problem?

Quick Reply: No Slack in Chain