CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

new bike wont start im lost

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bike wont start im lost

hi, im new to the forum and bikes in general but anyways i got an 01 929 and it has been through the cleaners to say the least but ill start off by telling you what i know. it will not start, it cranks over but there is no fire and the fuel pump will only come on if straight wired.Now the original motor on the bike was blown so the guy who had it before me replaced it and (supposedly) hooked the ecu up backwards i dont even know if thats possible because im not around the bike but since then the bike has been dead and the bike i have is the california version and someone was telling me that it has an anti theft system on it can someone please give me a straight answer on this oh and this bike does have cut wires mostly turn signals and other lights and has been laid down a number a number of times can someone please help it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Luccd, did you have any new luck? The service manual should help alot. You can start by seeing if the ECM is active by whether or not it flashes codes for starters. There is also a 4 pin diagnostic plug to jump in the trunk compartment, it's all covered in the service manual. That would be where i would start. Keep updating this thread as you go along, i can try to help, and others may chime in to as the info increases.....I don't think the ECM can be accidentally reverse wired either, i think the plugs won't allow it to be, but i could be wrong. If there is a security system on Cali models, it should be in the manual too. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

well a guy that had it before me said he ran the codes on the bike and it was throwin like six different ones i think im not positve but i think some of the numbers were 12,13,16,23,and 30 something but the one that stuck out to me was file data corrupted so thats why i think the ecu is fried. im not goin to be able to be around the bike till this weekend so im tryin to get an idea on where to start. the thing about the anti theft is no one can give a solid answer i mean its kinda sad i talked to the local honda shop and they couldnt tell me ill say this there is a pink wire that runs into i believe the gray side of the ecu plug and it is from what i was told is to the ant theft im goin to do some research now this sucks i wish i could be close to the bike so i could give better details thanks alot for your help and i will start with the manual

Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 PM

12= injector 1 or related wiring fault
13= injector 2 or related wiring fault
16= no such code in manual
23= Faulty O2 sensor heater

The only "30" codes listed are:

33= Faulty E2 Prom in ECM
34= Faulty EGCV and air intake valve servo motor potentiometer voltage
35= Faulty EGCV and air intake valve servo motor

I looked through the entire service manual and parts list, i didn't see any indication of any theft deterrent parts or any pink wire related to any type of Cali OR 49 state alarm system. Only thing that the pink wires on the bike seem to relate to are:

ECT Sensor circuit
VSS Circuit
Injector circuit

Perhaps he was speaking of a pink wire on an aftermarket alarm that was installed? (I know, probably not) Honestly, I think i might start checking for loose grounds, try to use the manual....i would verify the ECM to be in working order before attempting to replace anything else. If you had someone to let you use theirs for test purposes, that would be a home run. Just be sure your wiring is in good shape as to not burn theirs out. I'm mentally exhasted, it's been a long day....do some reading, tinker around a bit...any new developments, be sure to post up!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 AM

thank you very much for your help he said the one about the data corruption was in the 30 codes so hopefully he looked on the wrong thing also all the other codes you said arent what his were and i know at least some of those were right so as soon as i get around it i will start lookin harder like i said this bike has been through the cleaners and i personally know the last couple owners and they were idiots to say the least so god only knows what i will have to go through luckily i am mechanically inclined or i would be alot worse off trust me lol thanks for all your help and i will keep posting as this snowball grows

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM

luccD, man i'm having some of the same problems. I just bought an 01 Erion 929 for $150! Its all there except for the side fairings. It cranks but it won't start. The entire wiring harness was trash so a new one was put in, but never really hooked completely up(??) Theres hack job wires all over the place. I've worked on alot bikes but never this one thats started so molested. Keep up with this thread bro, we'll get all this figured out together. So other than a bad ecm, cranking but not starting comes down to fuel and fire..right?? What else should I be looking into. Thanks for any help guys!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM

I would check your tip sensor. The sensor for when you lay the bike over it cuts the engine off. Just a start wouldnt hurt to try that

Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Never mond the tip sensor only cuts the spark off not the spark and fuel

Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 PM

sorry guys i havent gotten much of a chance to mess with it but i have been going through some of wiring and this is what ive found so far i dont know what they have done but but it is truly a mess through and through i just got the turn signals workin again which sounds easy but trust me it wasnt i have gone through most of the realays and stuff and everything i have checked has been good ill post more the further i get along just bear with me i dont have alot of time to play with it

Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 PM

I dont know about hooking the ECU up backwards, but if you could manage to do it, you would probably ******'FRYTHETHING!!

What exactly isnt it doing?
Does it turn over?
Does it have spark?
Does it have Fuel?

What shape is the harness in?

Need more info!!

I just went through something similar with my erion. started with a headlight issue, and then turned into a no start issue.....

My situation turned out to be a bad ECU caused im guessing by a floating 12v on the ground due to a fried ground bus connector.

Anyway, a few more details and we can get this sorted out for you!!!
Pics below of my issue!!

Attached Thumbnails new bike wont start im lost-img00225-20100521-1246.jpg   new bike wont start im lost-img00229-20100521-1248.jpg   new bike wont start im lost-img00233-20100521-1259.jpg  

Quick Reply: new bike wont start im lost