CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

New 929 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 929 Question

Jeez. The way you guys are talking, I'm feeling better and better about what a pain in the butt it was getting my "rebuilt" title moved to NY from Vermont. Like I said, mine was $3500 with 8900 miles and in beautiful shape. Just some rash on the left side. I figured the most these bikes were getting was in the low 5's. Good to know.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM

I got my 2000 red and white cbr 929 for $4700, it was in flawless condition, after market exhaust and undertial. Just take your time you could find a little bit better deal. try craigs list. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM

That's solid advice from LivinLife. I got mine on craigslist. Betcha there's cheaper ones out there.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 PM

I bought mine off of ebay for 5100 and came w/ a full yoshi exhaust, hugger, carbon frame sliders, PC3USB w/ tune, Timeing advancer, new power tower tires, flush mounts and led tail, axel mount plate, fender eleminator w/ undertail, yellow powder coated wheels, 2 Handy stands, new iridium plugs, and 17k on the clock. and no rash what so ever.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Any way you look at it, there seem to be some very good deals that you guys are finding. Yeah I feel very good about the deal I got. Absolutely no blemishes on my bike. The price was a steel and the extras were just the icing on the cake. I couldnt be happier.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:31 PM

Ibekevman. Theres no doubt that you can add some ca$h to your price tag if you ever decide to change bikes.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:24 PM

i have a 929 erion that i will sell 4 way less. it has a salvage title but it is still an awsome bike. i am not exactly sure what i have to have for it yet, but it will be a good deal. feel free to make some offers.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM

ORIGINAL: sixs929

Got a 2001 with 8900 miles last September for $3500 - a little rash, but the price was cheap cause it had a "rebuilt" title. The bike was beautiful, but when you buy one, you can't insure it for anything but liability - no collision, theft, nothing. So who's gonna spend $6k on a bike you can't insure? It's way more bike than I could otherwise afford.
What do you mean you can't insure it for anything buy liability? Thats not true at all. Unless your driving record is that bad that your insurance carrier refuses to insure you. Thats not good advice, its misleading. You can't insure YOUR bike because a "rebuilt" vehicle of ANY kind CANNOT by LAW be insured for more than liabilty. A rebuilt title means it was a salvaged bike, either totalled by an insurance company, or built from parts on a salavaged frame. Either way, THAT is the reason you can't insure it. Its considered a wreck already because it was totalled by an insurance company and paid for once. One vehicle cannot be paid for twice by insurance, which is why its illegal to insure a rebuild for collision or comprehensive. Same with a car. An "R" title, or rebuild is for all intents and purposes, a "non vehicle" in the eyes on an insurance company. You cant even trade a rebuilt vehicle at a dealership.

$3500 for a "Rebuilt" title WITH rash? Bad deal, plain and simple.

I agree with Dragonmaster, $6K would be a decent buy for that bike with those miles if its a very clean bike. But you could probably get him down to 5,800. Regardless of the blue book, 929's DO in fact have a good resale value, as they are still a popular bike and much looked for.

As far as buying a bike with road rash... well, look at what it will cost to fix it back to like new, and THEN decide if its a good deal. Most times NO. Road rash usualy means beat to death, and could have a number of other problems hiding (ie: bent fork, internal engine damage, etc.) that you might not see right away. You are ALWAYS better off with a good clean bike with no damage.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 PM

WOW!!!

I've never been yelled at so long by a guy I totally agree with!!!

ouch.....

Obviously, I didn't go into enough detail or say it very clearly, and for that I do sincerely appologize, I mean that. Misleading ANYONE is never my goal.

When I said "you can't insure 'one' ", the "one" I was referring to was a rebuilt bike. I should have been clearer.

As soon as I finish refurbishing the very minor rash on my bike and adding a custom paint job, it will be aesthetically pristine and mechannically perfect ( which it was when I bought it, as I also forgot to mention ) and, based on some of the outlandish deals I've seen take place lately, it will be worth every dime I spent, which was nearly 3 thousand dollars less than a bike with a clean title.

We each get to decide for ourselves.

And son, I am a federally licensed aircraft mechanic who's 48 years old to boot - I haven't been running through this thing blind. And I would certainly never bash a fellow forum member in front of his colleages like that.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Also -

Bikechick, you are in a unique position to add to this particular conversation.

I would be interested, and hopefully better informed ( for better or worse ) if you'd update us on how much you bought your bike for, whether it was a 'rebuilt' already when you bought it, what you'd be asking for it and so forth.

Your story could help the rest of us see the whole picture. I've not heard much about salvage bikes on this forum.

I dunno, like I said - we all get to decide for ourselves. I personally couldn't afford ( with kids in college, etc ) the kind of sport bike I wanted, so I gave up. Then this one came along and gave me the chance to ride a great bike.
No, I guess a salvage bike doesn't represent a fabulous investment, but it gave me the chance to play a "big boys" game that I otherwise couldn't afford to.

Anyway, bikechick, let us know.
Thanks

Six

Quick Reply: New 929 Question