CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

New 929 owner.... help with stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 929 owner.... help with stalling?

Hi

I just put about 50 miles so far on my "new" 01 929. It had not been ridden too much the past few years and has just about 6700 miles on it. It ran great the first two days I had it - then I put gas in it last night. It acted flaky today, with a bit of sputtering and rough running, so I assumed I had stirred up something in the gas tank or got some bad gas... I put in 89 octane.. does the bike like premium fuel better? It has a power commander and full akrapovic exhaust system if that matters as far as octane... The previous owner was not too keen on winterizing I don't think and I may look at some FI cleaning/fuel filter....

Now the bad part. Today riding to work, and again riding home, the bike stalled completely. It restarted fine each time, but it did buck and surge a bit when I rode it the final mile home.... I have read about the stator/charging issues with these bikes.. would a bike just cut out completely (the LCD went blank for about a second) then just restart fine if there were a charging problem? What's a good place to start looking.. I bought a battery tender and will leave that on over night to see if it helps.

THANKS A LOT.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM

I always use premium in mine. you had some old gas in there and it ran great for 50 or so miles..hmm...maybe putting 89 in it might cause it to perform poorly but i dont think it would make it stall out. But i would def start with draining the gas and putting in some fresh premium stuff (from a different station) Because thats when you started having problems. Can't hurt to check all the plugs too, make sure they didn't foul out with some of that old gas.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

pull the power commander out and see if it still is running poorly. the map installed in there could be wrong or set to run differently.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 AM

Yeah, it was weird... I thought it must have to do with the fill up at the gas station somehow. Last night I pulled off the seat to look at the power commander and the whole positive terminal on the battery was completely loose! I tightened it up and put a star washer on there - charged the battery for a few hours and now all is right again. Quite a scare to have it cut out while riding, but it turned out to be a simple fix.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

the night i bought my RC51 i had the same thing happen to me. i thought i was just out of gas to i went to fill up (while on the inital test ride) but when i looked it was full so i took it back to the guy and said something is wrong with this bike... turns out the positive terminal was lose and that cause it to cut out when i shifted into 2nd gear (the lerkiness of the shift bumping it around...not to mention the vtwin rumbling)

glad to hear you got it figured out

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by DunnRR
I always use premium in mine. you had some old gas in there and it ran great for 50 or so miles..hmm...maybe putting 89 in it might cause it to perform poorly but i dont think it would make it stall out. But i would def start with draining the gas and putting in some fresh premium stuff (from a different station) Because thats when you started having problems. Can't hurt to check all the plugs too, make sure they didn't foul out with some of that old gas.
Robbin the bike if ur usin higher octane on stock.....put as close to "factory" recommendations as possible. I started runnin 87 on my 54 and she rus great and the tank stays cooler(<---no more burnin nutz....aint that a b!tch?)

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Yeah, thanks... I was relieved to find out it was so simple... I am liking the bike so far... a bit different than my old Hurricane 600 in terms of comfort and power - the newer technology is amazing compared to my 1989 - the seating position is not as relaxed, but still comfy enough.

Now if I could only get the storage compartment to open - I tried to adjust the locking mechanism for the rear seat storage area, and now it won't open at all! I spent like an hour and a half with the main seat off and my arm stuck inside the seat trying to work the latch free. Any tips on how to get the seat to open would be great.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Default trunk

had the same problem with my trunk, the bottom side was cracked on mine, just have to push up right underneath the locking mechanism and it pops open on mine... Maybe work for you??