CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help bad

ok my buddy just got a 2001 929 rr it got 4000 miles on it the bike has been sitting for 3years inside a garage he rode the bike 2 times he said it ran fine he was paying payments and they held the on to the bike you get the picture!.well he gets the bike first he has to get a battery no prob he then tells me that it getting terrable gas milage and it starts puffing white smoke and it starts running worse and worse and he said it is blowing alot of gas out the exhaust im going to go see him and look at this bike its 3 hours away he dont know **** about **** lol...its his first bike at the age of 43 . me i been on 2 wheels sense i was 3yrs old i have owned and built some fast bikes and the fastest was a 1979 honda CBX any way any ideas what the **** is going on with this 929 any info would help out bunchs

Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Default RE: need help bad

These bikes are vary complex, I hate to say it but your best bet is to take it to a dealer and have a qualified and trained mechanic take it through the neccasary paces.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM
dd

Start with ck'g the fuel press. regulator. Its burning way to much fuel. ck. the vacuum to it.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Dealer. White smoke would lead me to believe head gasket, but it could be any number of things. Get it professionally diagnosed.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
dd

Head gskt. would show coolant loss and overheating. Did notmention either.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Doesn't mean that it's not happening.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM

if the bike has been sitting for 3 yrs..

take fuel pump out, clean it, put in kerosene and see if it pumps at the right GPM.

replace plugs, all filters, have coils checked, reset map, check vaccum hoses for cracks, holes, or breaks, replace injectors, The white smoke could be from years of sitting. my 929 was bought and it had white smoke, that was because the bike was laying on its side, and after about a year of sitting there, moisture collected. replace the things that need replaced, clean the things that need cleaned. put it back together, run the bike to about 200 degrees, make sure you have no leaks, no more smoke (smoke will most likely go away) if the smoke doesnt go away, you'll have to have the headgasket looked at. Just beacuse its not overheating doesnt mean anything. white smoke means oil so make sure you check the oil once in a while.

What I would do;
I would tear the engine down, replace all seals, bearings, put back together, replace the said above.

if a bike has been sitting, spiders collect in tight places, moisture builds up, oil gets into places, gaskets dry rot because lube isnt getting to where it needs to go. I hope your friend didnt rev the motor up when he first started it.

replace the obveous, clean what needs to be cleaned. Check the fuel pump to make sure gunk is gone... replace the fuel filter... if it had fuel in it, CLEAN IT!

Thats my thoughts..

Archer

Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Archer 900RR

if the bike has been sitting for 3 yrs..

take fuel pump out, clean it, put in kerosene and see if it pumps at the right GPM.

replace plugs, all filters, have coils checked, reset map, check vaccum hoses for cracks, holes, or breaks, replace injectors, The white smoke could be from years of sitting. my 929 was bought and it had white smoke, that was because the bike was laying on its side, and after about a year of sitting there, moisture collected. replace the things that need replaced, clean the things that need cleaned. put it back together, run the bike to about 200 degrees, make sure you have no leaks, no more smoke (smoke will most likely go away) if the smoke doesnt go away, you'll have to have the headgasket looked at. Just beacuse its not overheating doesnt mean anything. white smoke means oil so make sure you check the oil once in a while.

What I would do;
I would tear the engine down, replace all seals, bearings, put back together, replace the said above.

if a bike has been sitting, spiders collect in tight places, moisture builds up, oil gets into places, gaskets dry rot because lube isnt getting to where it needs to go. I hope your friend didnt rev the motor up when he first started it.

replace the obveous, clean what needs to be cleaned. Check the fuel pump to make sure gunk is gone... replace the fuel filter... if it had fuel in it, CLEAN IT!

Thats my thoughts..

Archer
Isn't oil smoke blue? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 PM

most of the time.. but mainly white smoke is moisture.

White smoke on a daily riden bike. headgasket..

white smoke on a bike that has been sitting there for a while... Moisure build up.

My deal was the bike was knocked over by a forklift before I got it, oil got in the combustion chambers, the bike sat outside for nearly a year with the elements of the weather.

I started the bike to make sure it ran unlike my 900rr...

the bike started with white smoke, then a gray smoke.. which was the oil and water.. coolant was dirty, but thats just from not servicing the bike when needed. oil was dark, no light mixtures.

and its really not blue. My blue would be like the sky, pepsi can.. its more of a white gray color with a hint of black... lol

Archer

Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 PM
dd

Look, cbx's info.was bad gas mileage, fuel from the t/pipe and a light colored smoke. He did not mention:
knocking or growling noise, bearings.
blue smoke from t/pipe, oil
leaking oil from engine; seals, gskts. ect.
missfire only; plugs, coil
overheating or coolant loss; head gst.
The last thing you do is pull the motor! Unless $$$ is burning a hole in your pocket.
Test the symptoms first before throwing parts at it!
Eliminate head gskt. w/leak down test and exhaust anylizer. Pos. test would be bubbles in coolant or HC or CO from radiator just above coolant.
REPLACE bearing$!! Are you kidding, no evidence of noise.
REPLACE injector$!!! What all 4?? Never.
Test fuel pump pressure 50 psi! Test the f/p reg.
GET THE MANUAL or take to reliable shop.
TEST DON'T GUESS!