CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

My brakes are funky

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes are funky

Hey guys, I brought this up in my last post but everyone says im fine. My brakes are really loud, and maybe its not so much my brakes but the rotors. I am not sure. When i move the bike around, i can hear the brakes rubbing against the rotors, sounds like its only from the front. Then when i start riding, the first time i hit the brakes, the brakes/rotors make this loud buzzing sound. The harder I squeeze, the louder the sound, especially at high speed. Then after that, i can hear the lightest buzzing noise just going down the road like if the brakes are to tight? I dont know, this is my first sport bike. then at around 70 - 80 mph, i can hear the rotors, they dont seem to be warped. The bike has stainless lines on the front. The back pads almost need replacing but the front has lots of pad. i think they are not stock. Is all this normal?

Old 03-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Default RE: My brakes are funky

the buzzing sound you are hearing is coming from the holes in the rotor moving past the pad or you could just be suffering from used bike paranoia

Old 03-26-2006, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: ds 929rr

the buzzing sound you are hearing is coming from the holes in the rotor moving past the pad or you could just be suffering from used bike paranoia
i thought that.... any one else have any ideas?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:36 AM

You might want to take off the calipers and give them a thorough cleaning. The brake pistons may be putting unequal pressure on the pad, and causing the pad to rub or contact the rotor at a slight angle.

Get a small container of antiseize and clean up the retaining pins that hold the pads to the caliper. Use brake cleaner to get all the crap off the caliper, and use some brake lubricant on the sides of the brake pistons.

Bleed the brakes while you are at it, & see if that cures your problems. Inspect hte pads for uneven wear, and if you see them wearing crooked, throw on some new pads.

I would suggest EBC HH sintered pads. Great bite, and excellent for the street.

If you need instruction on how to do all this, drop a pm or post up here.

good luck man.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Retired Mod

just remove all your brakes and hardware and the noise will go away! lol

no seriously, matt365 suggested some good stuff. sounds to me like the calipers are not fully releasing pressure after releasing the front brakes. you really need to isolate the sound and figure out which side is making the noise. put the front on a stand and spin the hell out of the tire and grab the brakes to try and achieve the symptoms while in the garage. that is the only way to know for sure. it would also be a good idea to changethe fluid and bleed your brake system and replace the pads. also try removing the rotors and make sure they are not bent (i know you stated that they aren't warped but a very, very slightly warped rotor can make noise without pulsing like a warped rotor).

another completely off the wall thought. maybe the problem isn't with the brakes but a dry/worn out wheel bearing. sounds from the front wheel are hard to isolate position while riding. something to think about (and easy and cheap to change). besides, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace anyway.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:06 AM

Not a bad idea on the bearings nine2nine, depends on the mileage though. I've got about 17,000 miles, and mine are fine so far. Lube up the bearings with Bearing grease whenever the wheel comes off, and they will last real long. Clean and properly lubed parts will last a while, & clean brakes will perform much better than ones all gummed up with crap

Old 03-30-2006, 03:14 AM

thanks guys, i told the honda guys at the local dealership about it, they said the noise was normal but it just doesnt sound normal to me. is ther any new mexico guys on this site?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:23 AM

I jsut started to notice a sound that is coming from my front brakes, but it sounds like a typical brake noise.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM

When the bike is turned off and you're just pushing it around you'll hear the brakes rubbing a little bit it's normal. As far as buzzing like a bumble bee..... I couldn't tell ya. =(

Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM

hey man mine did the same thing, and i even took them apart and bled the brakes, dont worry about it its normal.