CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

MIL Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL Light Help

About 2 years ago I brought a 929 with the FI light illuminated. I never bothered doing anything about it and rode it with the light on. The problem with the bike seems to be a lack of low down power - in the higher revs it goes very well.
I have now decided to fix the problem......
After reading how to get the flash codes out (shorting wire, key & run switch on etc) I cannot get the codes out.
Do some of these bikes not allow the flash codes to be read?
I am guessing it is a problem with the HTEV system - Does the valve operate when stationary? Should I be able to rev the bike and watch the valve operate?.
Many Thanks, Rob

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeRob
About 2 years ago I brought a 929 with the FI light illuminated. I never bothered doing anything about it and rode it with the light on. The problem with the bike seems to be a lack of low down power - in the higher revs it goes very well.
I have now decided to fix the problem......
After reading how to get the flash codes out (shorting wire, key & run switch on etc) I cannot get the codes out.
Do some of these bikes not allow the flash codes to be read?
I am guessing it is a problem with the HTEV system - Does the valve operate when stationary? Should I be able to rev the bike and watch the valve operate?.
Many Thanks, Rob
It sounds like the servo motor has stripped gears and the HTEV is stuck in the mid or open position. Download the service manual and in section 5 there are instructions for how to check the HTEV and adjust the HTEV. The HTEV should point straight ahead when you start the bike then move straight up at 3k and straight down at 8k rpm. When you short the service connector under the seat the HTEV should point down when you turn on the key. If not adjust the lower cable until the marks line up.

Once you fix this problem you will be suprised at the low-mid range power increase and wish you had fixed this problem when you first purchased the bike.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
It sounds like the servo motor has stripped gears and the HTEV is stuck in the mid or open position. Download the service manual and in section 5 there are instructions for how to check the HTEV and adjust the HTEV. The HTEV should point straight ahead when you start the bike then move straight up at 3k and straight down at 8k rpm. When you short the service connector under the seat the HTEV should point down when you turn on the key. If not adjust the lower cable until the marks line up.

Once you fix this problem you will be suprised at the low-mid range power increase and wish you had fixed this problem when you first purchased the bike.
Thanks for that.
Just had a quick look and I have found the problem - the servo motor is there and checks out OK. The cables are missing and the exhaust valve has been dissembled with the cable drum bits also missing. The cable that goes to the air-box is there, but disconnected!
Fleabay here I come!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 PM

if the HTEV has been disabled then you probably need a PC. having one greatly improves throttle response in the low range.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by crazie929
if the HTEV has been disabled then you probably need a PC. having one greatly improves throttle response in the low range.
I did think about that but I think I would sooner get it all working as it was intended.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM

An update and request for more info.......

I got a new (used) exhaust valve and cables etc. Tested the servo motor which gave the correct resistances as per the manual. Hooked it up to a battery and it turns OK.

Fitted it all to the bike and fired it up and nothing happens to the valve when the bike is revved up. According to the manual it should move one way at about 3000 rpm and the other way at 8000 rpm.

I still cannot get the flash codes out despite the FI being lit.

I suppose something is stopping the servo from getting a signal (not checked this yet). Other than a wire broken or similar is there any reason that this wouldn't be getting power and also stop the flash code from being read?

EDIT - Just reading through some other post and when reading the error codes it is a red light that flashes - I haven't seen a red light on mine at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Rob

Last edited by BladeRob; 03-31-2012 at 01:16 PM.