CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

lowering and stretching.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering and stretching.....

Has anyone used a swingarm extension kit on their 929? Do you have to grind the old caliper bracket holder off the original swingarm to clear the tire? How do you lower the front down?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 03:07 AM

No love from the 929 owners? I had it on my 954, pretty much same set-up. U will not have to do any mods, u will get a brake relocate kit with the blocks. Ive run a 190 and 200 tire with no rubbing issues. Lowering the front is fairly simple as long as u pay attention to my instruction. Loosen the clip-ons, loosen the lower triple tree, ****when loosen the upper triple tree only loosen it about half to 3/4 of a turn. if u loosen the upper to much the bike will fall down the forks. U should have a rubber mallet to tap on the upper triple tree, the fork tubes will come up. Again you should only loosen the upper bolts slightly, you dont want the bike falling down the tubes. If you are hitting on the triple tree and its not moving, loosen the upper tree bolts 1/4 of a turn until you can move it by tapping the upper tree. the most important part is measuring the tubes to make sure they are even. You should do the measuring multiple times to ensure you are even. lastly tighten all the triple tree and clip on bolts back up. Its extremely easy just be careful.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hope you like going straight and hate twisties...

Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 AM

My swingarm is extended 8 inches and it handles just fine.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by gr8scape
My swingarm is extended 8 inches and it handles just fine.
compare to what, doing what? I'm not saying they wont still be able to handle, but def wont be handling as well Other words if the OP is a twistie railing fool, he wont like the neg affects of the stretch n lowering. If he just putts thru the mtns n mainly cruises thru town etc, then yea he'll be fine. All in what n how he intends to ride. How I ride it would kill the handling by making it slower to turn in, harder to lean, kinda like trying to make a caddy handle like a porshe, it just doesnt work as well lol.

and the more its stretched, lowered, and the fatter the tire gets, the worse it gets.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 AM

I actually felt more comfortable cornering with it lowered, my 54 was stretched 5'' and the only issue i had was scraping the exhaust and lower fairings. I rode wit a few friends that had a 600rr and 1000rr and after about 10 corners i had to pull over and wait. Their bikes were stock. That whole "once its stretched and lowered its only good for straight lines" is a myth.....

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I have to agree with you pimpncbr954s. My 929 doesn't seem to have any problems being stretched 8 inches. To each his own.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PG is entirely correct, even if you feel you haven't lost a step. Your abilities may be compensating for the change. But the change in the bike's center of gravity and geometry will affect it's cornering ability. It's straight physics and geometry, not opinion.

But back to the OP's questions, you can try sliding the forks up in the triples to lower the front. That's how most people do it. If you want to go the full 9 yards you can have the springs in the front forks modified to adjust the front ride height.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys... I did it and the only prob I have is the edge of the tire rubs on the old brake bracket piece on the swingarm... Do you have to grind that off? or put some sort of spacer in there?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
I actually felt more comfortable cornering with it lowered, my 54 was stretched 5'' and the only issue i had was scraping the exhaust and lower fairings. I rode wit a few friends that had a 600rr and 1000rr and after about 10 corners i had to pull over and wait. Their bikes were stock. That whole "once its stretched and lowered its only good for straight lines" is a myth.....
I dunno how, the lower it is the easier n sooner hard parts will scrap. You are either a very good rider and you friends suck, are you're an ok rider and your friends really suck.

And its not a myth, you put two evenly skilled riders, one on a stock bike n one on a stretched bike and run em both thru lets say the Dragon (US129) and the stretched bike will get left behind, I've seen it done numerous time, and I cant begin to tell you how many slammed stretched bike I have had to pass up there n numerous other roads. And I am not a fast rider lol.

Its just facts, the lowering and longer something is, the slower n harder it is to get it to turn.

And you are right, its a each to their own thing, thats not the issue, its ppl trying to say their lowered/stretched bike handles just as well as a stock one does which is complete BS!.

Originally Posted by itsgotwingsonit
Thanks for the help guys... I did it and the only prob I have is the edge of the tire rubs on the old brake bracket piece on the swingarm... Do you have to grind that off? or put some sort of spacer in there?
what size tire?

Quick Reply: lowering and stretching.....