CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

lost keys?? What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost keys?? What are my options?

Well just got finished rebuilding my 929 from the frame up, and now when i get ready to fuel her up finally i cant seem to find my keys now! Just my luck. I tried getting the ignition switch out but someone previously stripped the allen bolts out. Can a toggle switch be wired in to the ignition wires, and still use the stock push button? I need some help cuz im ready to ride this thing!!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

If you have a wiring diagram you should be able to do it.
There are also some very good on-line key suppliers around these days. I got some cut a while back. Ordered on line and they arrived the next day.
It's a problem if you don't have the key number though. I'm not sure what you can do about that other than replace the whole ignition switch, seat lock etc...
Bad luck! I feel for you man.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get it re-tumblered, but you gotta be able to pull the assembly. You might have to get an 'ez-out' to back the bolts out. Then you can take it to a lock-smith and he'll cut you a fresh key.

Your other option might be a remote "start". From what I gather they just remote hot the ignition, you still have to push the starter button (basically replace the key). So you'd be putting a 'coolness' factor on a previous liability. Not sure the cost, though.

Ern

Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 PM

I had a similar problem when I bought my 929, the key was broke off in the ignition and the two allen head screws under the assembly were stripped out. I drilled out the heads - drill bit just slightly bigger than the stripped out allen - and it popped right off. then I sprayed some WD 40 on the studs and they backed out with the help of a pait of needle nose vise grips. If memory serves me there are a couple of small screws holding the assembly together. Once I got it apart I was able to bring it to a locksmith and he got the old key out and made me two new ones for like $18. I would have paid twice that much.
Anyway, if you're anything like me I couldn't wait to get the keys so once I got the assembly apart I used a big flat blade screw driver and VOILA! It's alive!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Yea it sucks not being able to start the bike after a few months of rebuilding it. Well i finally got the switch off. I took the whole top yoke off. The dealership said i could get new keys if i have the number on the switch. Thanx for the help!!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 AM

I feel 4 ya, last winter I locked my only set of keys for my truck in it while she was running. Then I got written up at work for being 2 hours late lol

Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you take the ignition to them they should be able to try keys till one works. If they can't take it to a lock-smith, he can cut one from the tumblers to work. the hard part was getting the ignition off the bike.

Ern

Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Lucky your not in Australia we have hiss system here (on the 929) and you have to get a new ecu barrel and a ****load of other stuff big bucks

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Does US model CBR929 with H.I.S.S system ?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hung88
Does US model CBR929 with H.I.S.S system ?
What?!?! Im thinking your asking if the USA model has a HISS system, the answer is no it doesn't.

Quick Reply: lost keys?? What are my options?