CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Instrument panel and staring the bike!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument panel and staring the bike!

Firstly I just wanted to be clear that, if I were to take the instrument panel/speedo gauge off the bike will I still be able to run the bike?

My bike has gone a for a whee flip a little while back and wouldn't start but managed to pin point the problem to the right hand controller/kill switch as it was cracked. So took it apart and got the bike starting fine.

Just 2 days ago I took the instrument panel to a mate to plastic weld back the lugs/bracket back on and when he finished plugged the panel back in the bike and the bike won't start.

The instrument gauge is fine, lights up but it's displaying a non flashing but a permanent red error code. My mechanic mate then gives me a lecture about how the heat from the plastic welding stuffed up the gauge and everything is integrated on the 929 and if the gauge is stuffed, you can't start the bike.

Well, instrument gauge is fine as far as I know but it is displaying a permanent non flashing red error code.

The service manual corresponds this faulty ecm, short circuit in service check connector and short circuit in service check connector wire.

Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Banned
Default RE: Instrument panel and staring the bike!

Reset the code and see if the MIL is tripped again. Have you checked the service connector for shorts? A faulty ECM will not prevent the engine from normal operation.

Does your cluster do a completeLED flash when the ignition is turned into the, "ON" position?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks for that reply, I'll try and reset the code and see what that does.

In answering your question about the RED LED flashing, it doesn't flash, it stays LIT.

You know I am a little confused on the whole concept of the MIL light and wondering somebody here can shed some light.

From the service manual it says there's a 'FI' light that lights up when there's a malfunction and there's also that RED LED light that's also the MIL light.

So what's the 'FI' light on the digial screen (which is considered a MIL light) in relation to the RED LED MIL light next to the indicator lights on the instrument panel? ? ? ?

Other question is regarding the service connectors, that's the connectors connected to the ECU/ECM?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 PM

mine started without speedo