CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

How many people had a 929 or close to as a first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people had a 929 or close to as a first?

Just kinda curious, How many people had a 929 or there abouts as a first bike?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Default RE: How many people had a 929 or close to as a first?

my first bike was a 929 i bought it with 15k and still have it today with almost 30k on the clock just as long as your not throttle happy you will be fine

Old 06-22-2008, 07:00 PM

cool cool, yea thats my view too. easy low rpm shifting, light on the trottle and short trips till im "comfortable" (*very can bee too comfortable*) on the bike.

how long ago did you buy the bike?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a good idea...Start out for atLEAST a season on a 600 MAX. It sounds like youve already made up your mind though...Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new929

This was your first post on 3/10/2008:

ORIGINAL: new929

So i took my 929 rr out for its first ride today and i have to say that even with 24000 miles it still rides like a brand new bike the gearbox shifts better and alot smoother than my gsxr 600 and it only has 4000 miles. My one thing that concerns me tho is that when i take the key out of the ignition and put it back in i have to screw around with the ignition in order to get it to turn to the on position and it seems like the lock that locks the ignition is screwed up and stickshas anyone else experianced this same problem??I dont usually lock the bike i just turn it to the off positon and take the key out
This is what you posted today:
ORIGINAL: new929

my first bike was a 929 i bought it with 15k and still have it today with almost 30k on the clock just as long as your not throttle happy you will be fine
Please dont misinform people....Their lives depend on it.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: djhh212

Not a good idea...Start out for at LEAST a season on a 600 MAX. It sounds like youve already made up your mind though...Good luck!

yea that was ALWAYS my view going into my search trust me. I had a 98 zx6 in line to buy but I couldn't get the money in time. The same guy owned like 8 bikes and told me he would line up a few more for me to check out.

so he lined up the '01 929rr and a '05 gsxr-750. The 750 was out of my price range but was WAY too much for me as it had a power commander. sprocket upgrade and was fully build for drag. The 929 was stock other than rear set's and in my price range with a clean title and only dropped once. Plus it was around $2k less than what they are selling for normally on craigslist and thats only cause he was in serious need of money so i got a deal.

Im the kinda guy who if I find a good deal and can afford it I take it.

The way I look at it is if I start riding it and i dont feel comfortable with that particular bike I will turn around and sell it, make profit, and jump down some engine size's. If i do like it and do feel comfortable on it its a good bike, good condition and deffinatly something that i can grow on with out feeling like i need an upgrade. So in my mind i view it as a win win situation. Ya know?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 AM

Mines the first. Coming from dirt bikes and quads all my life. I had rode some friends bikes but never had one of my own for the street. I took it slow and got used to the feel of it. Stayed slow, close to home and out of traffic for a couple weeks at the least. Originally I had also set out for a 6 but almost got dicked on an ebay deal then had a 954 sold out from under me. Turned out the 954 guy had a bro-in-law with the 929 and decided he'd sell. Just take it slow, learn the bike and how it reacts to different conditions. And read. Lots of good info here from theguys and although a lot of it is mechanical, if you dig theres lots of good advice on riding styles, etc. The one thing that really sticks out in my opinion besides the obvious is I took off one morning and spun the rear not meaning to. Got squirrely so to say. That reality checked me so just take it easy and enjoy. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

IMO its way too much bike for a first, thats not to say you cant get one, go slow, and still be safe. What i mean by that is even though you can ride it and keep it upright, your learning curve is going to be way way down compared to a bike thats lighter with less power. Its going to take you 4x longer to "really" learn how to ride a bike then say on a 600 or lesser bike.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM

My 929 is my first bike too. I am just taking it slow and learning as I go. I think the most important thing about a bike is respecting it. The first time you don't it will jump up and bite you in the ***.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 AM

This is the problem with the 929: it is an easy bike to ride. It is
comfortable, capable and very forgiving of little mistakes. It has
loads of power that just flows on proportionally to your right
hand, no nasty surprises anywhere.

This makes it great as a 'learner' bike. The problems start to come
when you get more "confident", as you will. All newbies do. You
ride for a while and you start to get the hang of things and then
you push a little harder. And harder. And then you fall over. We
all do that to varying degrees. Mine was on 250/350 two strokes.
If you do this on a 929 chances are you will going quite a lot
faster and the consequences are going to be higher.

Maybe you'll never fall. Maybe you won't push the limits of either
you or your bike. Maybe you'd be happier on a cruiser. There is
a lot to be said for a Ninja 500 or Bandit 650 or a CB600F4 as a first
bike. Not attractive, not cool, but great to learn the ropes. Just
as forgiving as the 929 with less than half the power.

Just my $0.02 (or $0.0198 at current exchange rates ;-))

Quick Reply: How many people had a 929 or close to as a first?