CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Honda cbr 929 Melted wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda cbr 929 Melted wires

Rectifier (RR) /generator wire connector

Generator note sure if its shot.
Hi guys I need help here. Iv got melted wires on the rr/generator connector.
when riding home the other night a all of a sudden the bike just died and would start the battery was flat.
recently I check the battery it's giving out 12v even under load.
so the battery isn charging . So I took a look at the wires and I noticed melted wires
also took a look at the generator couldn't see any burn marks not sure if its shot also same with the rr.
why are my wires melted and how can I resolve this issue.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don’t think you should have any continuity between any of your yellows. Split your plug and check both ends. The end with continuity will prove which ones fried. I’m guessing you went the wrong way and it will be the reg/rect .....that’s if I remember all of this correctly !

Last edited by wes 17; 11-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
I don’t think you should have any continuity between any of your yellows. Split your plug and check both ends. The end with continuity will prove which ones fried. I’m guessing you went the wrong way .....that’s if I remember all of this correctly !
the wires melted when I was riding . I'm wanna know why this has happened.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Your charging circuit has failed resulting in one of your cables becoming so hot it has melted the connection within the plug. The culprit looks to either be the stator or rr.
Prove which is faulty, replace and that’s it.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Get a new regulator, stator, and stator cover gasket.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Howdy, thought I might chime cause I have the same issue... im also curious as to whether you've had the same problem again... But a bit of background... mine went so hot that it turned the connector to the stator into charcoal about a year ago... the mechanic couldn't get a replacement connector and replaced them with bullets. About 6 months later, it charred those beyond recognition as well (actually melted so badly right where the wires pass up under the seat and melted part of the battery housing that it passes by.

Now, I personally know electronics quite well so I then redid the wiring myself, separated the wires from the stator and the wires going back to the bike and gave them both nice silicon sleaving... In my case, the wires coming from the stator to the reg are definitely getting hot (quite hot indeed) and the wires back to the charging circuit are staying cool. but im not sure if thats normal or not for a motorbike (or a cbr929 in this particular case) - if it were a normal generator/stator type deal, i would expect the reverse (high voltage, low current on the stator side should mean lower temperature, high current lower voltage on the charging side should mean higher temperature - especially at the connectors)

I put a temperature sensor on the wires, and they're happily hitting around 90 (194f) - but its also the middle of summer in Aust where I am and so its particularly hot at the moment, but im worried my bike has a over-heating problem... but i'll start a different thread for that.

Also, "Normal" for a stator should read about 1-2ohm (if you have an audible multimeter, it should read as continuity) between every stator wire (3 yellow wires on the cbr) and no continuity to ground from any yellow wire - on mine, this appears correct. So im not sure if I should be worried about the heat thats traversing those wires from the stator or not... the wires back to the charging side (black and red maybe or black and green), they dont get hot at all

Old 08-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default connector

i have the same issue with the connector melted. this seems to be pretty common. also found a bit of a hack job for hid headlights. i think that is the culprit for melted connector. It's either that or just after so much time connector contacts become corroded and that may be what caused it. Will repair the connector and properly wire the headlights and see what happens.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .

Originally Posted by Takigama
Howdy, thought I might chime cause I have the same issue... im also curious as to whether you've had the same problem again... But a bit of background... mine went so hot that it turned the connector to the stator into charcoal about a year ago... the mechanic couldn't get a replacement connector and replaced them with bullets. About 6 months later, it charred those beyond recognition as well (actually melted so badly right where the wires pass up under the seat and melted part of the battery housing that it passes by.

Now, I personally know electronics quite well so I then redid the wiring myself, separated the wires from the stator and the wires going back to the bike and gave them both nice silicon sleaving... In my case, the wires coming from the stator to the reg are definitely getting hot (quite hot indeed) and the wires back to the charging circuit are staying cool. but im not sure if thats normal or not for a motorbike (or a cbr929 in this particular case) - if it were a normal generator/stator type deal, i would expect the reverse (high voltage, low current on the stator side should mean lower temperature, high current lower voltage on the charging side should mean higher temperature - especially at the connectors)

I put a temperature sensor on the wires, and they're happily hitting around 90 (194f) - but its also the middle of summer in Aust where I am and so its particularly hot at the moment, but im worried my bike has a over-heating problem... but i'll start a different thread for that.

Also, "Normal" for a stator should read about 1-2ohm (if you have an audible multimeter, it should read as continuity) between every stator wire (3 yellow wires on the cbr) and no continuity to ground from any yellow wire - on mine, this appears correct. So im not sure if I should be worried about the heat thats traversing those wires from the stator or not... the wires back to the charging side (black and red maybe or black and green), they dont get hot at all

here are how mine look at the moment, whats the best fix in your opinion ?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a small voltage drop at these plugs that run from the stator to the RR. When the RR fails, it usually boils the battery, and so much current is running through the wires & connector that that small voltage drop now translates to a pretty decent power loss (I²*R) and chit gets melted & burnt.

If caught early, the stator is usually fine. Just need to fix the burnt wiring (bullet connectors or just solder & shrinkwrap) and replace the RR with a new Honda unit, or an authentic Shindengen unit from a trusted reseller (like Home).