CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump

My bike was stored over the winter. We had a short winter in NJ, just went out to start it the other day and I didn't hear the fuel pump whine while priming I'm used to hearing every time I turn the key. I quick turned the key off when I didn't hear it because I didn't want to burn anything out. Tried a couple more times to turn the key and listen for the pump, got nothing, then finally the 4th or 5th time I turned the key it finally came on. Seems like it was seized then freed itself up. Anyone else have a similar experience after storage ? Battery is good, and was fully charged.

The bike is a 2001 and it only has 2756 miles on it, so it sat more than it was ridden obviously. I will run some techron mixed in the gas, but I think I will stay around town for awhile and avoid long trips till I see if something is going to fail.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

I havent had a similar experience. I always keep my engine start/stop button on, even when storing -- turn the key, wait for it to prime, the red oil light to come back on then I start it.

I'd say if it idled well, and went up to 2k at first start, then you should be fine. (automatic fast idle)

Let it sit until operating temperatue is reached, and take it on a nice long ride.

Staying around town may be a good idea, but you really need to get some miles on that thing! Less then 3000??

Its riding season now...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i had the same problem when i got my bike. every once in a while, the pump wouldn't prime. i'd slap the side of the tank with my hand, and it would kick on. it was supposed to be a new pump, but i replaced it and i haven't had a problem since. if you end up replacing it, replace to fuel filter also. it's in the tank right next to it.

demon

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Official Glory Detailer

Mine does the same thing it's the switch. Contacts are getting worn. If it gets worse take the switch apart and clean contacts & make sure there no broken wires

Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929
Mine does the same thing it's the switch. Contacts are getting worn. If it gets worse take the switch apart and clean contacts & make sure there no broken wires
What switch ? there are probably about 5 switches on this bike. I don't think it's the ignition key area, because all the dash lights lite up properly when this happened. I should have kept my 600F3, I knew once I got rid of the reliable carbureted bike, i'd have a bike with FI problems. It hasn't done it since and sounds normal now, almost like it was seized up from sitting then broke itself loose, must be alot of crystallized and gelled gas in there, i have drained the tank twice since I had it and have Sta-bil in it while stored. I bought the bike used but in mint condition, the previous owner bought it brand new so the title says, but he rarely rode it in a period of about 8 or 9 years. I guess it might also be time to do what I usually do to older used bikes I buy, take apart every electrical connection, spray with contact cleaner, work it in and out a few times and then coat with Dow Corning electrical grease. Before something winds up burning out from causing too much resistance somewhere. I do this on all bikes, dirt and street. It may save a rectifier / regulator or stator down the road and have also heard people burning up entire harnesses.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Atieri
What switch ? there are probably about 5 switches on this bike. I don't think it's the ignition key area, because all the dash lights lite up properly when this happened. I should have kept my 600F3, I knew once I got rid of the reliable carbureted bike, i'd have a bike with FI problems. It hasn't done it since and sounds normal now, almost like it was seized up from sitting then broke itself loose, must be alot of crystallized and gelled gas in there, i have drained the tank twice since I had it and have Sta-bil in it while stored. I bought the bike used but in mint condition, the previous owner bought it brand new so the title says, but he rarely rode it in a period of about 8 or 9 years. I guess it might also be time to do what I usually do to older used bikes I buy, take apart every electrical connection, spray with contact cleaner, work it in and out a few times and then coat with Dow Corning electrical grease. Before something winds up burning out from causing too much resistance somewhere. I do this on all bikes, dirt and street. It may save a rectifier / regulator or stator down the road and have also heard people burning up entire harnesses.

The engine start/stop switch on the right bar controls. It should always be kept in the 'on' position, and turned off only in the case of an emergencey.

The contacts may be dirty so you may have to clean them off to fix the problem you're having.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM

If it hasnt done it since and sounds normal then you are probably all set.

It'll just fix itself.

And the 929 is a much more reliable and better bike then the F3.

(imo and the opinions of many others)

Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ctcbr929

and the 929 is a much more reliable and better bike then the f3.

(imo and the opinions of many others)
+1,000,000

Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM

There is so much that can go wrong with FI bikes and so many possible error codes. I disagree that a carbed bike is less reliable, as long as you drain the carbs before storage, not much that can go wrong with them. I'm really sorry I sold that bike. With both feet on the ground when stopped, the 929 is kinda comfortable, but with both feet on the pegs it really makes me miss the 600F3.

Remember this: ALL Honda's are virtually bulletproof.

Never had any reliability problems with any of my Honda's. I have never ridden anything but honda since before I even had my first 2 stroke, a 1984 CR60R. The CBR600F3 I had was almost perfect and when I sold it only had 2,576 miles on it, it had 1,183 miles on it when I bought it off the second owner a few years ago. Here's a pic of it:

Last edited by Atieri; 03-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM

that is a really nice f3!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump