CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   Engine knocking....left side?? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/engine-knocking-left-side-161276/)

Bikelife1229 03-03-2021 06:28 PM

Engine knocking....left side??

Hey guys, so I recently got my cbr 929 back to life!! I was so happy to finally get it started. But immediately after I ran into problems. I put a new full exhaust on,(black widow) and also checked my valve clearance which led me to replacing the exhaust valve shims.well immediately after the bike started I noticed oil coming from the headers, and I figured it was from spilling a little in the cylender cover when I was lubing the camshafts, so what I did was remove the headers, put fire gum gasket sealer that came with the exhaust system on them and it seemed to fix the problem. So I started the bike a few times since then, and sometime it sounds good and others sounds horrible. Well I haven’t put coolant in the bike yet because I didn’t want to have to remove it again if the bike would t start and I had to go back and remove the headers or whatever, but I’m only running the bike for about 2-3 minutes at a time. Seeing how it sounds. I have a pc3 and I’m using a premade map for a full yoshi system. Well, what I’m hearing now is kind of a rattling, knocking sound on the left side, sounds like under cylender cover. NOW HERES THE THING, when I took the camshafts out my timing slipped, so I went back, found top dead center, and lined up the camshafts sprockets. Now I’m 99 percent sure that I lined it up perfect. However the intake sprocket is so hard to see to line up that I might be a tooth off. My exhaust is 100 percent right. PLEASE GUYS , any advice will be appreciated. I love this bike but I’m getting so fed up I’m ready to give up on it. Here’s a little about the bike
01 cbr 929rr - full black widow full exhaust
air box flapper removed
pair valve Delete
servo buddy
and that’s really it for mods. I know I’m probably going to have to dig back in and remove everything but any ideas on what to go after and check ? Thanks

IDoDirt 03-03-2021 11:29 PM

I'm curious about the shims you replaced. Do you recall if you put in larger shims or smaller ones? When you took the measurements, were they too tight, or too lose?

Bikelife1229 03-04-2021 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt (Post 1339983)
I'm curious about the shims you replaced. Do you recall if you put in larger shims or smaller ones? When you took the measurements, were they too tight, or too lose?

they were to tight. I did the measurements, put the new ones in and still seemed to tight so I went one size smaller in it seemed a lot better. I was thinking that too, maybe the cam love is over lapping?

IDoDirt 03-04-2021 08:17 AM

Granted there is a specific sequence for checking intake and exhaust clearances. However, if the the cam lobe is pointing directly in the opposite direction of the valve, then you can be sure the gap you're measuring is going to be good. If it were me and I was hearing noises, I'd for sure be back in there checking it again.

Bikelife1229 03-04-2021 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt (Post 1340001)
Granted there is a specific sequence for checking intake and exhaust clearances. However, if the the cam lobe is pointing directly in the opposite direction of the valve, then you can be sure the gap you're measuring is going to be good. If it were me and I was hearing noises, I'd for sure be back in there checking it again.

ya they were 100 percent opposite direction.I tried to upload a video but for some reason it won’t let me.I started the bike a few times and didn’t notice the sound, but when I did notice it, the engine was starting to heat up, then it was running rough, stalling out and hard starts for a few tries and then it started back up and kind of even itself out. One other thing I noticed, probably has nothing to do with this but my cluster lights up, everything works except the needle reading the rpm.I’m going to try to upload it again, if it works, listen to the video where I’m on the left side, you can slightly hear it.

Bikelife1229 03-06-2021 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt (Post 1340001)

hey idodirt I think I found my problem. Tell me what u think. I went and re checked my timing sprockets. Exhaust is perfect. The intake , I had to use a mirror to see because it’s so close to the frame. I’m uploading pics .
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...b34f71a19.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...959855554e.png

IDoDirt 03-07-2021 07:35 AM

It's hard to tell from the angle, but the IN does appear to be off by 1 tooth. Getting a better angle on it to check it would be easier. Try to put something flat and straight on the top edge of the cylinder head where the valve cover seats so you can compare to the position of the IN gear. Naturally it goes without saying that what ever you use, you don't want to drop it down inside the engine.

Bikelife1229 03-07-2021 08:07 AM

That’s a good idea, I’m going to go ahead and try that . I might as well just check valve clearance again just to re assure myself. I’ll let you know how I make out

Bikelife1229 03-09-2021 06:42 AM

Ok so I went back in and checked and the intake timing is off by 1 tooth. I’m going to mark it with nail polish and then lime it back up. Hope that solves my problem!!

Al1040 03-09-2021 06:50 AM

Fingers crossed