CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   Died while riding (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/died-while-riding-36184/)

Saved_one 04-14-2007 09:26 PM

Died while riding

Went for a ride to Malibu, on the way home the bike started haveng a slight surging while trying to hold it at the speed limit. Kind of felt like a fuel pump problem till i came to the light at topanga canyon, pull in the clutch to stop for the light and all instruments go dead like as if i turned the key off (but i didn't). I pull over and it never started again (thank god for AAA) Battery is completly dead, which is making me rule out the fuel pump problem i was originally thinking it was. 5 months earlier i replaced both the stator and rectifier. Oh, i did see the red light come on right before everything died. Any help or advice is appreciated. When i got it off the tow truck the power came on, but not enough to turn it over.

the greeen lantern 04-14-2007 10:14 PM

RE: Died while riding

dude im havin the same problem,check out my thread https://cbrforum.com/m_272627/tm.htm

from what i can tell if its not your battery its probaly going to be your ignitor coil

Joker_114th 04-14-2007 11:25 PM

If You replaced your stator/rectifier it could be your battery,B4 you replaced the charging parts did your battery die B4.It may have sucked the Life outta it the first time round.It just took a while to finish it off

Saved_one 04-15-2007 02:01 AM

I'm hoping it's not the stator and rectifier again. I'll try the ignitor coil first, maybe i'll get lucky.

the greeen lantern 04-15-2007 03:18 AM

try your battery first

Saved_one 04-15-2007 05:06 AM

I was just looking through my receipts and noticed that when i replaced my stator and rectifier in July 05', that i had first bought a battery before replacing both of the other parts. After finding out that it wasn't the battery i took it back for a refund. So it looks like i put the original battery back in and it worked up until now. Since it was a while ago i thought i kept the new battery in the bike, i completely forgot about refunding it. Since it was original, i'm hoping that is my problem (7yrs old now), that would be an easy fix it that's the case. I'm pretty sure the new stator and rectifier are still good from July of 05'. I'm going to buy a new battery and hope i'm out of the woods, i'll keep the thread going with the results.

mbike74 04-19-2007 09:49 AM

I have the exact same problem too. I have a 2000 with something like 22,000 miles, and this just started happening to me. I put a new Yuasa battery in at the start of last year, before this problem ever happened,because the original finally died. Then towards the end of the season I had one episode of this problem. I thought I had gotten a bum battery and was upset due the the high price they get for a Yuasa. I put the bike away for the winter and took the Bat out to store on the charger, thinking that it would prob be a gonner this Spring. Much to my surprise the Bat was fine when I took bike out this March. Anyway, went on a ride the other day and about 100 mile into it the surging started then dead as a hammer. No panel, fuel pump or anything when I turned the key on. I had been riding that whole time with my brights on too. After about 10 mins by the side of the road fiddling with the Bat connections tosee if they were loose (they were not) I had enough juice to push start and rode home with the lights unplugged. Bat showed 12 volts after I got home and had let the bike sit for several hours. I was kinda leaning toward maybe a bad ground somewhere (start easy and cheap before replacing parts). Maybe heat builds up and with a little corrosion enough resistance is made to mess up the charging. The bike is definately putting out some charge because I made it home and the bat then started the bike and showed 12 volts after sitting. Just maybe not putting out enough to keep it charged on a long ride with the brights on, or a bad ground that works loose enough (or corroded) sometimes to stop the charge.

Anyone know where all the fame grounds are located? How much voltage should the alternator be putting out across the bat terminals and at what rpm to be in factory spec? Any help would be great. This sounds like a common problem and I would be interested to know the mileage on the bikes effected.

Thanks guys, I'm new to the forum and this problem brought me here. I love the 929 and think it could just be the perfect bike. This is the first prob I have had with mine and I due tend to ride it on the more aggressive side.

Saved_one 04-19-2007 11:47 AM

I have 50,000 miles on my bike ,and it has generally been an awesome bike. Awhile back (7/05') it died on me like the previous post and i found out that both my stator and rectifier had went bad, so both were replaced at that time. I might have made a mistake in putting both parts that were'nt brand new (got them at cycletherapy.com). From all the info that i've seen it is looking like the culprit is the rectifier (which is the weak link in honda systems). I'm going to the dealer today as a matter of fact to pick some brains on the cause. If they tell me that it is something like the rectifier, i might just replace the rectifier, stator, battery all at the same time to try to get a fresh start. We'll see, i'll let you all know as i find out myself.

Saved_one 04-20-2007 01:44 AM

Well, went to the dealer today and they said it probably happened from the stator overcharging. First the battery probably went dead leading to the system charging contantly, hence burning up the connector. Also, when i replaced the stator i put one in from cycletherapy.com that was not OEM, this stator might not have been exactly like the original. Lesson learned (if it goes inside the engine,OEM ONLY). So my only choice is to replace everything this time (Stator,Rectifer,Battery)

01 929For Sale 04-20-2007 12:32 PM

Damn I wish you had this problem a week ago, I was askin around to see if I should go OEM or cheap out on ebay for a stator. Looks like I might be in trouble a little ways down the road.