CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Changing 929 Engine Case

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing 929 Engine Case

Hope someone here can help me out with this. I have a 929 that had been dropped by the previous owner. It cracked the case just below the stator cover (has billet cover on it now). Anyway, it was leaking where they attempted to mend it. So now I would like to attempt to fix it the right way. In the purchase of the bike I recieved two more motors with it. One motor is a 954 that has the same kind of damage on the case (buddy of mine was stunting and failed)...and the other is a 929 that's a good motor (supposedly) and has no damage on the case. Now keep in mind guys....I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I do build my own cars. My question to you is what kind of adventure am I looking at here? I'd like to just be able to change the bottom have of the case from the spare 929 motor to my current engine. Is it possible to just swap the bottom half of the case without totally disassmbling the entire motor. Or will the rotating assembly just fall out? I was told the bottom half of the case is actually the main caps for the crank. I just had a total tune up done on it and would rather not half to take it back in if I can help it....

Also...his plan when the bike was his was to put the 954 internals into the 929 and keep the 929 head on. Supposedly it will all just swap right over and supposedly have more power due to more compression and such. Can anyone advise me on this as well. Don't get me wrong...I'm totally happy with my 929's power...just curious if this is a possiblity....

Thanks for any and all help....

Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When splitting cases, the bottom half is what's pointing up so..No, the internals won't fall out when you remove the bottom half. "If" the bearing codes are the same for the broken motor and the "good" motor you might be able to swap them out. However, that's very very unlikely. Get a manual and read up on checking main bearing codes and check the 2 cases. My money is on them NOT being the same. Plan on just swapping everything over.