CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   CBR 929rr overheating (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/cbr-929rr-overheating-129052/)

rocksta 08-01-2011 05:12 PM

CBR 929rr overheating

Hi guys. I'm a little new here so bear with me.

I'm having an issue with my 2001 CBR929rr overheating. What I mean by that is that the temp gauge starts flashing at 248F like it should but the bike heats up to 270F. At this point I notice that the coolant is leaking out onto the floor. Its not a crazy spray but just like if a car was idling in a place for a long time.

I think the motor just needs to be replaced for the fan but is there anything else it could be? I did check the fuse already so I know its not that.

Also as far as parts go, any suggestions on where to order from for good deals?
I found a new fan motor here 2001 Honda CBR929RR RADIATOR (1) Genuine OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport but I was also thinking a salvaged one from craigslist but we all know what goes with that.

Thanks for the help.

Kuroshio 08-01-2011 05:47 PM

Umm... how many times have you ridden her up to 270F?

vwmaniacvr6 08-01-2011 05:53 PM

Try grounding the fan switch wire. On the back of the radiator on the left side you'll see it. Just unplug it and get the metal prong to the frame of the bike or run a wire from the shock to the plug. If the fan comes on the temp switch is broken. Even without a fan you shouldn't get that hot while moving.

rocksta 08-01-2011 08:01 PM

Its gotten up to 270F for maybe a total of 3 minutes all spread out (like in 45 second intervals). The second I get moving again I can get it to lowered to about like 215F-220F and then once I stay moving I can get it within the 195F-205F mark.

Every time I notice it get to like 250F I've pulled over and shut it off to cool.

From what I've read about CBR929, the fan should kick on at about 220F and you should be able to hear it running but mine seems silent.

I'm gonna give the grounding a shot and I'll report back what happens.

txsmainevent 08-01-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by rocksta (Post 1085621)
Its gotten up to 270F for maybe a total of 3 minutes all spread out (like in 45 second intervals). The second I get moving again I can get it to lowered to about like 215F-220F and then once I stay moving I can get it within the 195F-205F mark.

Every time I notice it get to like 250F I've pulled over and shut it off to cool.

From what I've read about CBR929, the fan should kick on at about 220F and you should be able to hear it running but mine seems silent.

I'm gonna give the grounding a shot and I'll report back what happens.

Not 220, more like 212F. You will know if the fan is on. You will feel the heat blowing on your leg. As soon as you get to 215 check through the side fairing to see if its spinning. If not then shut it off. If its leaking, chances are its backing up and into the overflow tank and draining from there. If the fan doesnt kick on then go to VM's advice.

Kuroshio 08-01-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent (Post 1085655)
Not 220, more like 212F. You will know if the fan is on. You will feel the heat blowing on your leg. As soon as you get to 215 check through the side fairing to see if its spinning. If not then shut it off. If its leaking, chances are its backing up and into the overflow tank and draining from there. If the fan doesnt kick on then go to VM's advice.

I'm wondering bout how much damage his bike has taken running that hot.

I dunno the 929s but at a constant 40+ mph, I don't go past 185F - 190F on my F4i. If he's seeing 215F - 220F at highway speed with no fan, he's got another problem. And his bike has hit the overheat warning.

How much till he blows the head gasket?

danlexani 08-02-2011 12:33 PM

that sounds like some excessive temps. 217F is about the highest ive seen mine hit in heavy traffic on hot day. if i got anywhere near your temps i would take it in to the shop for sure before i would do more damage to it.

Hung 08-02-2011 02:14 PM

I'm thinking of put CBR1000rr rads on CBR929 in front, don't know if it not bothering front wheel!!

rocksta 08-02-2011 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vwmaniacvr6 (Post 1085591)
Try grounding the fan switch wire. On the back of the radiator on the left side you'll see it. Just unplug it and get the metal prong to the frame of the bike or run a wire from the shock to the plug. If the fan comes on the temp switch is broken. Even without a fan you shouldn't get that hot while moving.

So I gave this method a shot and it didn't work. I connected a wire from the nut in the upper left to the frame on the right and nothing. The temp got to 225F before I shut it off.

I was, however, completely wrong with the other temps I stated for when its running. The highest it got today while riding around was 205F and thats when I was stopped at a light for like 10 minutes.

I went to the local shop (Jersey shore area) and they are looking to charge $100 for a diagnostics to just tell me what wrong with the bike.

How hard is it to replace the fan motor? I wanna keep riding but I'm afraid that I'll do more damage.

txsmainevent 08-02-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rocksta (Post 1085994)
So I gave this method a shot and it didn't work. I connected a wire from the nut in the upper left to the frame on the right and nothing. The temp got to 225F before I shut it off.

I was, however, completely wrong with the other temps I stated for when its running. The highest it got today while riding around was 205F and thats when I was stopped at a light for like 10 minutes.

I went to the local shop (Jersey shore area) and they are looking to charge $100 for a diagnostics to just tell me what wrong with the bike.

How hard is it to replace the fan motor? I wanna keep riding but I'm afraid that I'll do more damage.

So the fan is not working? Thats a simple replacement. A few bolts and it comes off. Easiest way is to unbolt the bottom radiator mount and lift the radiator up to get the fan off...