CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

CBR 929 valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 929 valve adjustment

Whos done a valve adjustment on the 929? looking for any info, getting ready to do it myself rather than pay $400, i have the ways and means to get it done the shop and tools etc... and the specs in the honda book, how tricky is this gonna be? I've heard it can be a bitch, any help is appreciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I'd mention, throw the money down for the shim kit (about $70).
It saves all of that running back and forth to the dealer for them.
I find it better to start and finish a job, instead of a lot of stop/start.
I'm less prone to errors, that way.

Get an egg-crate and label the cups, to keep track of your shims, as you pull them for
mic-ing and replacement.

There are a couple of spread-sheets available for download, to assist in calculating
the correct replacement's. Try a google, if you're interested in that type aid.

Maintain a spot-less, clean and clutter-free environment to work in.

Don't forget a zip-tie or wire to prevent the cam-chain falling into the cases,
when you pull the cam-shafts. I've heard it's a royal pain fishing them out.

Ern

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Awesome, now that you mention shims i remember a guy being like "oh yeah that bike has shims thats easy to screw up"I should be able to handle it, havent needed to do very much other than tires, brakes, plugs filters and oil over the years, still the original clutch and the bike has 40k on it and ive had the valves done once before so i know how much better it will run, should i put a new cam tensioner in while im in there? I wanna do everything i can to make it last me another ten years, so stuff you could suggest replacing or anything like that i'd appreciate it

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Official Glory Detailer

great advice ern ! im doing mine at 20k or 22 k i have 17k now . sup brewha id replace the cct if it has not been replaced . have the plugs been done ? coolant flush ? and engine ice?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929
great advice ern ! im doing mine at 20k or 22 k i have 17k now . sup brewha id replace the cct if it has not been replaced . have the plugs been done ? coolant flush ? and engine ice?

(Unrelated -- for stealth only)

Hey bro, saw the comment you left on my shorty exhaust pic. Im extremely offended. In no way, shape, or form, or sound, is my bike associated with a GIXXER!! Idk about YOU or the shorty on YOUR bike, but my 'Merican made Erion shorty does not sound like a gixxer!! I hate gixxers CBRs are the best! LOL

(sry for the thread jack carry on gentleman)

Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Plugs are done every year, planning on doing the cct as the motor does chatter a bit, this might sound stupid but What's engine ice? Did a water pump last year so coolant is fine, the thermostat is up top right? Other than that stuff I should be good to go, always open to more suggestions, thanks fellas, ride fast and take chances!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Lol Ahh ok. Ct Cbr what's wrong with gsxrs don't get mad because there way fast and have great power I'm building a 96 1100. With a kws 1117 don't get me wrong I love my Cbr. But gsxrs are horse power bikes Id love a new 1000 and or a new Cbr 1000

Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

I dont like gixxers at all. EVERYONE has one... everyone. EVERY bike I see other then mine, is a gixxer, haha jk... but seriously.

I did a suzuki demo day last fall, the new 1000 is allright, alot of power def, but doesnt feel right man, the quality of the bike just isnt there like it is on a cbr (imo)

Okay, the Busa on the other hand, rode that, one of the best bikes on the road. I gta respect that bike.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Official Glory Detailer

my fave bike of all time is a 86 gsxr 1100 slab side i had one then sold ! i should have kept it ! worth $$$ my dream bike is a 86 1100 LTD edtion very hard to find bike

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Valve adjustment is pretty easy to do. Take all your measurements 1st & write them down as you go. Once you have all the measurements, pull the CCT & the cams. You only need to remove the bucket & shims of the valves that are out of adjustment. No need to remove them if they are within spec, more stuff laying around. Once the cams are out I recommend only doing one at a time. That way there is no mistaking where it came out of. Remember, if the measurement you took is too tight, then you need a SMALLER shim. If the measurement is too loose, then you need a THICKER shim. Some people get that mixed up.

On another note. The new 2012 GSX-R 1000 is a MEAN bike!!! If you ride 2 wheels, then you are cool with me.

Quick Reply: CBR 929 valve adjustment