CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Aftermarket levers on a 929

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Pug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket levers on a 929

Thanks for all the input and comments, good stuff. From what I have found in my searches is that most people prefer the short levers compared to the long or stock length levers. I can see this on the brakes as you should not need more than two fingers to stop anyhow unless you just like to have all your fingers on the lever. On the clutch however I am not completely sold yet that the short levers are better. I have had numerous emails with Corey from MotoMummy (great guy by the way, he was fast and informative on all his reply’s to my email questions on the pazzo levers) and he recommends the shorts unless you happen to get stuck in bad traffic often then he said the long clutch would be the way to go. And I can see that since the longs would give you a bit more leverage than a short lever. But for non-traffic riding I suppose the short clutch might work fine. I have also read in my searches that after a few rides you get used to the shorts and would not want to go back to longs after that.

Mikey1297, thank you very much for the pictures they were very helpful to see levers actually on a 929. On your clutch it appears that when you grab the lever your index finger would be right at the dogleg bend and that on the brake your hand would have to be over a bit for your index finger to hit the dogleg bend. Granted I realize there is a bit of adjustment on the bars with the clamps but I wonder if on the brake you can get it over enough to allow you to have your throttle/brake hand all the way to the left of the grip. I also would guess that if you adjusted the levers with the lever adjusters so that they are closer to being aligned with the grips then the dogleg point would move closer into the inside of the grips and thus could facilitate the index finger hitting the dogleg bend.

Infared067 are you serious you were riding and your clutch lever fell off?!?! Yikes that does not sound good at all.

On the clutch side I have noticed that my bikes lever has quite a bit of free play in it, not horizontally or when you pull in the clutch but vertically. Is this normal and will this go away with the aftermarket levers or will I need to replace the clutch lever bracket ? My bike has just over 20k on it so perhaps this is just a wear issue and with new levers and a new bracket it would go away.
Thanks again for all the comments and help.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: KAY GEE

mikey what kind of grips are those..i want somethin like that i got aftermarket cbr grips..they work but really thin..yeah levers are expensive i just got the crg clutch for like 90
those are just my factory grips its time for some new ones though they are starting to turn my hands black

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM

I run the MSR Pro Raptor EZ-Pull shorty (2 finger) clutch. Set on the easiest pull setting (of 3 positions). I then cut my shorty down to a single finger length. Even with 1 finger... unless I'm in horrible stop and go traffic I can manage no prob. I use this setup with my Brembo 16x18 hand brake... I use my index finger on the clutch, and middle finger on the hand brake.

For my front brake, I picked up some steel braided lines, and run a Brembo master off of an R1. (stock length)

The whole setup is buttery, and will be like that on any bike I own from here out.

My 2 coins.

- Pixel -

Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Only Pic I could find. This is before I put on the Brembo front brake...

Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Old 09-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Pixel: Nice bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks!

My FI crash cage, and OMR subcage have just been finished at the powder coating place (65 bucks for both!) I just need to go pick em up, and slap em on. Same white as the rims. I think it'll finish the "POP" I'm looking for on the bike.

I'm having the shop put on my APE cam tensioner... I tried, but BLANK THAT! I love wrenching on my bike, but I'll have someone with better tools deal with that one lol. The cam tensioner bolts are literally a 1/4 inch from the frame, dead center. Totally burried.

Other than that, I'm going to get my exhaust HTEV setup tack welded at the mid-way point. the 3k-7k rpm setting... 4 to 4 position... I still need to pick up a power commander and get it mapped... another 600 bucks there but well worth it I'm sure.

So yeah. Thanks!

FUN!

- Pixel -