CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 No Start Fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 No Start Fixed.

A friend of mine just bought a 929 that kept frying the rectifiers. So he replaces the entire engine harness in hopes of quickly fixing the short that was causing it. Upon changing the harness the bike wouldn't start.

Took it to two places (dealers remain unnamed) here in town and neither place gave any insight on what the problem is nor did they fix it. So He takes it to another place 45 minutes away and they check everything over. This place tells him the ECM is fried and he will need a new one and to come pick the bike up. He buys a new ECM and it still didn't run.

The bike comes to me and I start to look it over and test systems in the garage. First the fuel pump didn't turn on and I was assured it did turn on prior to it going to the last shop. Test the fuel pump and it wasn't getting continuity through the pigtail to the pump. Apparently the shop had damaged the sender. Order a new sender and replace it. To our surprise this one doesn't turn on either, but this one we could jumper and make it run. OK, scratches head.

Start testing everything possible and everything checks out. We finally get frustrated and take the bike to a shop in St Louis. He claims to be able to have it fixed within a week. 2 weeks go by and he hasn't touched it. So the bike gets pulled from that shop and we take it to another shop around St. Louis that is supposed to be very reputable. He tests everything and it supposedly checks out. He then claims he borrowed an ECM from a friends 929 and it fired right up. "Ran kinda poorly though, probably could use the plugs changed but we had it started" Supposedly the problem was that he had put a California model harness in the bike and we had a 49 state ecm. He tells us to come get the bike and he would have to find another (california model) ECM because they pin differently and it will run.

So on the way down there to get the bike we drive into MO to go pick up another supposed good ECM in hopes we would be able to start it up that night. Damned the luck we get it back, plug the ECM in and it doesn't start. Now extremely frustrated my friend goes out and buys another running 929 to ride in the meantime.

Out of curiosity we plug all the ecm's in on the running bike and two of the ecm's fire the bike right up. Thats funny b/c the shop told us they where all junk and to throw them away and get another known good ECM. (gotta love E-bay). Come to find out a couple of the ECM's where bad though. So the saga continues. What if there is a short in the replacment harness that fried the other ECM's but is putting the good ecm's into a safe mode? They did start the good bike but no fp, spark, or injector pulse on the non-running bike. So he orders another harness. It comes in yesterday and we where excited after all the bs in hope that the bike would start with the 2nd harness.

Now we have another good harness in the bike, a known good ecm, and the bike still won't start. Doesn't even throw a code. Back to square one, we had to have missed something. Spend all day today diagnosing every component on the bike and going crosseyed looking at the wiring diagram in the manual.

Finally I determine that all the sensors and outputs on the bike are in perfect working order yet there still isn't any injector or coil pulse, not even reference voltage going to the cam or crank sensor.
On a crazy whim we pull the other bike up handle bar to handle bar and plug the ignition switch from the running bike up to it and turn the key, hit the start button and the bike fires right over. Come to find out the ignition was sending 12 volts to the ecm and the ecm's where in fact going into a self protection mode and not starting the bike. Damned the pink wire!

Sorry for the long read but the moral of the story is to not trust shops and work on your own stuff. Had we just not given up we wouldn't have been on a wild goose chase and wouldn't have been missdirec

Old 05-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Default RE: 929 No Start Fixed.

if the shop says you need a part and it doesn't work then make them take it off. they get pissed, but for 80+ an hour they should know what there doing..

Old 05-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Default RE: 929 No Start Fixed.

Well the thing is he did kinda screw himself in that aspect b/c he had them diagnose the problem but not fix it and got the parts needed himself.

Although they still did miss diagnose the problem and told him that expensive parts that he had already purchased where junk and should be thrown away. When in fact he could have possibly just junked 300 bucks worth of perfectly good ecm's. A reputable shop should have been able to find a bad ignition switch.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ill_rider
A friend of mine just bought a 929 that kept frying the rectifiers. So he replaces the entire engine harness in hopes of quickly fixing the short that was causing it. Upon changing the harness the bike wouldn't start.

Took it to two places (dealers remain unnamed) here in town and neither place gave any insight on what the problem is nor did they fix it. So He takes it to another place 45 minutes away and they check everything over. This place tells him the ECM is fried and he will need a new one and to come pick the bike up. He buys a new ECM and it still didn't run.

The bike comes to me and I start to look it over and test systems in the garage. First the fuel pump didn't turn on and I was assured it did turn on prior to it going to the last shop. Test the fuel pump and it wasn't getting continuity through the pigtail to the pump. Apparently the shop had damaged the sender. Order a new sender and replace it. To our surprise this one doesn't turn on either, but this one we could jumper and make it run. OK, scratches head.

Start testing everything possible and everything checks out. We finally get frustrated and take the bike to a shop in St Louis. He claims to be able to have it fixed within a week. 2 weeks go by and he hasn't touched it. So the bike gets pulled from that shop and we take it to another shop around St. Louis that is supposed to be very reputable. He tests everything and it supposedly checks out. He then claims he borrowed an ECM from a friends 929 and it fired right up. "Ran kinda poorly though, probably could use the plugs changed but we had it started" Supposedly the problem was that he had put a California model harness in the bike and we had a 49 state ecm. He tells us to come get the bike and he would have to find another (california model) ECM because they pin differently and it will run.

So on the way down there to get the bike we drive into MO to go pick up another supposed good ECM in hopes we would be able to start it up that night. Damned the luck we get it back, plug the ECM in and it doesn't start. Now extremely frustrated my friend goes out and buys another running 929 to ride in the meantime.

Out of curiosity we plug all the ecm's in on the running bike and two of the ecm's fire the bike right up. Thats funny b/c the shop told us they where all junk and to throw them away and get another known good ECM. (gotta love E-bay). Come to find out a couple of the ECM's where bad though. So the saga continues. What if there is a short in the replacment harness that fried the other ECM's but is putting the good ecm's into a safe mode? They did start the good bike but no fp, spark, or injector pulse on the non-running bike. So he orders another harness. It comes in yesterday and we where excited after all the bs in hope that the bike would start with the 2nd harness.

Now we have another good harness in the bike, a known good ecm, and the bike still won't start. Doesn't even throw a code. Back to square one, we had to have missed something. Spend all day today diagnosing every component on the bike and going crosseyed looking at the wiring diagram in the manual.

Finally I determine that all the sensors and outputs on the bike are in perfect working order yet there still isn't any injector or coil pulse, not even reference voltage going to the cam or crank sensor.
On a crazy whim we pull the other bike up handle bar to handle bar and plug the ignition switch from the running bike up to it and turn the key, hit the start button and the bike fires right over. Come to find out the ignition was sending 12 volts to the ecm and the ecm's where in fact going into a self protection mode and not starting the bike. Damned the pink wire!

Sorry for the long read but the moral of the story is to not trust shops and work on your own stuff. Had we just not given up we wouldn't have been on a wild goose chase and wouldn't have been missdirec
I think I may be having the same kind of issue I need a little advice hopefully that you might be able to help me out I got a 2001 CBR 929 I had an idiot pull out in front of me and I had to dodge the vehicle as best as I could well clipping it which involved me smashing the left front side of my bike I had to replace the frame the main chassis did all of the work myself and I had to replace the ignition so when I did that everything is put back together I went to start the bike the bikes got power the bike's got it turns over but it does I do not hear my fuel pump kicking in you know the whining sound that you hear when you you know turn the key on to the opposition with the kill switch on to run so my question really is does involving putting a new ignition in does that put the bike into safe mode since I put a full new ignition it switching and new keys do is there a step that I'm missing or that I skipped because now I my bike just turns on but if it turns over but it just I'm assuming doesn't get any fuel cuz the fuel pump isn't kicking in I don't think my fuel pump is bad at all my bike is very clean and only has one owner I just I'm lost I don't want to take it to a shop because of the same type of reasons that you are having or had please let me know please help

Old 03-19-2021, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

This is a pretty old thread. I don’t think the OP is active anymore. You will be better served starting a new one.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Along with a new thread, I'd suggest some punctuation. I can't read that because there is not a single period, comma, or any other punctuation at all.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:45 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Wrong/cheap ignition switch or BAS bad/unplugged. period.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:43 AM

74demon yes your are exactly right pos cheap ignition switch. How do you bypass the BAS? O tried to use the my old wiring "Base Contact" from my OEM ignition! I think that is what it is called. And tried to use it with one I bought and no go and now I have no power at all !! SMH 🤔🤔😕 but this what I just purchased to to use on my old lock set and barrel ..if this doesn't work is there Any other models with the four pin connector that will work ? And about my punctuation on my last post didn't know we're still being critique on our spelling and punctuation like grade school IdoDirt!! That better !!! Lol

Old 03-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Excellent, much better.

The following users liked this post:
Krl929rr (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 01:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The OEM switch has a diode that is needed. Cheap aftermarket switches don't have that so they don't work. The BAS is bypassed by unplugging it and jumping the outer wires together.

The following users liked this post:
Krl929rr (03-23-2021)

Quick Reply: 929 No Start Fixed.