CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 Keeps popping into Nuetral in 2nd gear????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 929 Keeps popping into Nuetral in 2nd gear????

OK, i have a 2001 929 with a jeepers racing 12'' extended swingarm with underbrace and a 240 tire with PM black aftermarket rims, 2 brothers full exhaust. lowered front and rear. dont know exactly how much.

Changing the oil tom. with castrol 10-40and K&N filter. with BG MOA additive(blue can)

when im riding. i shift to second on 35 MPH rd. i dont have to get on the throttle at all hard just cruising around 3-5,000RPM. The bike goes into nuetral by its self only in second gear. After a few times riding in that gear it does is it on and off. my conclusion is from being lowered and heavy aftermarket wheels on a bad or slight bump in the road its bumping the shifter fork or gear inside the tranny down to neutral.???? So what i would do is after shifting to 2nd i would keep a slight amount of pressure under the shifter pressing upwards, and it would not do it???? other than that i had a friend tell me his R1 had an issue doing that under load and the crankcase had to be torn apart.

I havent found any other info on this. So anyone with some insight to this would be great. I think im correct on my guess. Someome confirm on deny me on this. Thanks

Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm thinking maybe your shifter fork needs replacement.. I'm not expert but I'll see if I can dig up anything..

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Official Glory Detailer

929s have 2nd gear issues hey demon tell him about your bike

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by B&R CBR929RR
OK, i have a 2001 929 with a jeepers racing 12'' extended swingarm with underbrace and a 240 tire with PM black aftermarket rims, 2 brothers full exhaust. lowered front and rear. dont know exactly how much.

Changing the oil tom. with castrol 10-40and K&N filter. with BG MOA additive(blue can)

when im riding. i shift to second on 35 MPH rd. i dont have to get on the throttle at all hard just cruising around 3-5,000RPM. The bike goes into nuetral by its self only in second gear. After a few times riding in that gear it does is it on and off. my conclusion is from being lowered and heavy aftermarket wheels on a bad or slight bump in the road its bumping the shifter fork or gear inside the tranny down to neutral.???? So what i would do is after shifting to 2nd i would keep a slight amount of pressure under the shifter pressing upwards, and it would not do it???? other than that i had a friend tell me his R1 had an issue doing that under load and the crankcase had to be torn apart.

I havent found any other info on this. So anyone with some insight to this would be great. I think im correct on my guess. Someome confirm on deny me on this. Thanks
Its either a bent shift fork and bad shift drum. They can be changed without removing the motor or splitting the cases. You have to remove the entire clutch assembly, oil pan and a few other things to get the shift forks and drum out of the motor. If the transmission gears are messed up then the motor must be split and that's why most people buy another motor instead of repairing the bad transmission.

Changing the oil may help a little. Make sure you use good motorcycle oil and not car oil. Car oil has friction modifiers that are not good for motorcycle clutches. I would not use any type of additive in the oil either.

Also keep your stock filter instead of changing to a K-N. It has been covered many times how the 929's and 954's run better with the stock filter over a K-N.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929
929s have 2nd gear issues hey demon tell him about your bike
my old bike had the same issue, but not as bad. every so often it would act as if i didnt get it into gear all the way and pop out. most of the time it was okay. i never fixed it, so i cant offer much of a solution. i am pretty sure that it was internal trans/gear problems, either broken gear or a syncro im thinking.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM

does anyone have a how to with directions and picture on how to change the forks and or drums by pulling the clutch assembly out and replacing these items if i can get away with spending 100 bucks on this stuff and gaskets with the hopes of it not being a worn out gear in the tranny i will most def. give it a try, if not im SOL.

Thanks for the help guys ive done a little more research on this subject and splitting the case was all i found. so this eases the pain a little bit. IF IT WORKS. how about a percentage rating its the forks and not the gears in the tranny. also a time line. on both equations.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM

ALL OF THIS CAUSE BY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING?????

Also why does the Stock air filter get better airflow(quick Answer). thats crazy.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM

does anyone have a how to with directions and picture on how to change the forks and or drums by pulling the clutch assembly out and replacing these items if i can get away with spending 100 bucks on this stuff and gaskets with the hopes of it not being a worn out gear in the tranny i will most def. give it a try, if not im SOL.

Thanks for the help guys ive done a little more research on this subject and splitting the case was all i found. so this eases the pain a little bit. IF IT WORKS. how about a percentage rating its the forks and not the gears in the tranny. also a time line. on both equations.
ALL OF THIS CAUSE BY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING?????

Also why does the Stock air filter get better airflow(quick Answer). thats crazy.
I doubt the gears in the transmission are bad as long as the bike shifts smooth through the gears without any odd noises or grinding. As for fixing this problem for $100 or less is probably not realistic. Before buying parts you need to tear it down and determine what is the problem then buy parts. I am going to try and post a link below to another honda site than has more information that can help you.

HOW TO: CBR 929 Factory Pro Shift Kit Install w/ Clutch and Tranny Assessment - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Clutchless shifting does not damage the transmission if done correctly. Usually clutch-up wheelies damages second gear more than anything. Your bike appears to have a larger rear sprocket than normal combined with the stretched swingarm and larger rear tire has probably caused more stress on the shift forks and drum.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Ok, after a week of riding the bike with castrol 10-40 it has seemed to be popping out of 1st gear in a high rpm( 1 out of 5- times) and 2nd gear(4 out of 5 times) randomly, my conclusion is the guy that had the bike before used a super thick oil to hide this problem and i didnt warm the bike up enough or play around in 1-2nd gear a lot. so now its my problem.

i can now say that if i apply pressure under the shifter in 2nd gear it will not pop out at all. it cant. so with that being said does that narrow down the playing field on exactly whats the issue??? thanks for the help guys.

im still leaning more towards wore shifter fork and star maybe???i dint see how the shifter drum could be causing this but hey im not expert.

correct me if im wrong 1 fork for 1-2 gear, 1 fork for 3-4 gear, and 1 fork 5-6 gear?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Ok, after a week of riding the bike with castrol 10-40 it has seemed to be popping out of 1st gear in a high rpm( 1 out of 5- times) and 2nd gear(4 out of 5 times) randomly, my conclusion is the guy that had the bike before used a super thick oil to hide this problem and i didnt warm the bike up enough or play around in 1-2nd gear a lot. so now its my problem.

i can now say that if i apply pressure under the shifter in 2nd gear it will not pop out at all. it cant. so with that being said does that narrow down the playing field on exactly whats the issue??? thanks for the help guys.

im still leaning more towards wore shifter fork and star maybe???i dint see how the shifter drum could be causing this but hey im not expert.

correct me if im wrong 1 fork for 1-2 gear, 1 fork for 3-4 gear, and 1 fork 5-6 gear?
I doubt running thicker oil helped this problem. The previous owner probably wanted to sell the bike when the problem got worse and affected the normal riding of the bike instead of fixing it.

You need to tear into the bike to determine the exact problem. Shift forks are not that expensive so I would buy them new instead of buying used.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2001>CBR900RR>GEARSHIFT DRUM

Quick Reply: 929 Keeps popping into Nuetral in 2nd gear????